IGNORED

Intellivision Tech: Rolling Bar

Hey people,

My Intellivision has a slightly dark rolling bar that creeps down the screen.

PSU voltages check ok. Sometimes the problem disappears after resetting. Wondering if I have a ground issue somewhere? The shielding isn't soldered on, it is just placed back on, but the bar is still there if I run it with the shield removed.

Checked around the edge of the board for continuity to ground and it seems ok.

Might replace the PSU caps.

Any other ideas?

Does your +12v line check out OK? That's what provides power to the RF modulator, although the RF mod itself re-regulates that to +5v locally with a zener diode. In general, it could be a little too much supply ripple making its way into the circuit. As I recall, the resistor ladder that generates the RF comes off the main logic board's +5v rail, so it too could be the issue.

Edited by intvnut

I honestly don't know what would be an "optimal" point for checking the +5v. If there's any sort of ripple in the +5v, I doubt it would show on a DVM / DMM anyway. You'd need a scope to see it.

The video signal itself is generated by the AY-3-8915, so checking its +5v input (on pins 13, 16, 17 if I read the schematic correctly) might be a good starting point. Also, the schematic scan I have suggests that the voltage on the DC input to the RF modulator should be about 6.3v.

You can download the entire service manual I have scans for here: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/dl/intmasrv.zip

• 2 weeks later...

OK this console is possessed. It's cursed. Read, it has a problem.

For history, this is the same problematic console from here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207602-because-we-all-love-troubleshooting-intellivisions/

For a while, it was working perfectly.

Recently, the console has started blackscreening and won't start the game (even after pressing reset), or the title comes up then the game crashes to black screen within a second or two. Here's the weird bit. If I take the console apart and put it back together, then it usually works again.

So I am thinking I have a bad joint or trace somewhere.

At one point it was running, but AD&D crashed when starting the game, and in Thin Ice, the sprite collision wasn't working, implying bad STIC! I've already replaced the sound chip and SRAM chip in this thing... Plus the rolling bar tends to come and go, and sometimes the speed of the rolling slows down. Holding reset for a second or two longer can sometimes get rid of the rolling bar.

Took some power supply readings:

+ 5 VDC --+ | |_| | 4.98V
+ 12 VDC --+ | |_| | 12.30V
+ 16 VDC --+ | |_| | 23.10V (23.54V) (unregulated)
+ 0 VDC --+ | |_| | Falls quickly to about 1V then slowly to 0.1V
- 2 VDC --+ |_|_|_| -2.166V (-2.143V)

Although these look to be in tolerances, I am thinking about rebuilding the power supply board anyway, replacing the regulators and capacitors. I don't have another power supply board to swap in unfortunately. I've replaced the ribbon cable with pin headers and a proper cable. I do have an Intv System III, but it hasn't had the power supply header mod done.

Checked the ground trace around the board and it seems to be fine.

I have spares of all logic chips to swap in, except for STIC and SRAM.

- James

• 3 weeks later...

The console works again, the black screen and collision detection problem seems to have been due to a bad connection with the 2 pin single wire.

However the rolling bar is still there.

Can someone confirm the power voltages are right?

Edited by HunterZero

H0,

Checked my spare bad unit (but the psu is fine) and got almost the same voltages. Just 24,1V on pin 3 ( or whatever n. it takes) which is the unregulated + 16V and 0V on 0v pin. 0V and does not have any single variation. Remebering that all meausures were done with flat and blue STIC removed, pls confirm if you are removing them. This 1V variations on 0v pin seems a little strange...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...