IGNORED

[YouTube] Sega Genesis Launch Spectacular

CGQuarterly

Nice video--great detail, and previously I didn't actually know what the genesis launch titles were. Heck, of them, I've only spent time with altered beast. (mostly because of everybody back then saying how 'cool' it was)

One thing that that does get me a bit is that you said a couple times that the music and sound effects were awesome in these games.

I think these launch games are perfect examples of sega failure in that department. Off key tunes accompanied by digitized farts and out of place samples. I've never 'gotten' what's wrong with genesis sound. It seems to have a very similar hardware setup to a number of 16-bitters of the era with excellent abilities. After a few years some games came out that made the best of the genesis limitations, but I really don't see why it had any issue to start with. There must have been some kind of limitation because *SO MANY* genesis games fall into the 'bonk, blat, hiss, ting' school of music. Outside of having stereo sound, I've always thought of genesis as a solid step below most 8-bitters (master system aside, because wow was that bad)

Edited by Reaperman

I think that sound in Genesis games is really hit-or-miss. Even within a single game, some sounds are really cool while others sound bad. Super Thunder Blade is a good example. As I said in the video, the sound make by that mini-boss when he shoots those laser blasts at you sounds really cool, but most of the rest of the sounds are pretty poor. I guess I am just trying to come up with something nice to say about every game, even if I don't like the game as a whole. Same goes for Space Harrier II. Some of the sound effects are really neat, while others are bad. The music in that game is also pretty bad, but the digitized "Get Ready" is crystal-clear.

Thanks for checking out the vid!

• Like 1

Nice video--great detail, and previously I didn't actually know what the genesis launch titles were. Heck, of them, I've only spent time with altered beast. (mostly because of everybody back then saying how 'cool' it was)

One thing that that does get me a bit is that you said a couple times that the music and sound effects were awesome in these games.

I think these launch games are perfect examples of sega failure in that department. Off key tunes accompanied by digitized farts and out of place samples. I've never 'gotten' what's wrong with genesis sound. It seems to have a very similar hardware setup to a number of 16-bitters of the era with excellent abilities. After a few years some games came out that made the best of the genesis limitations, but I really don't see why it had any issue to start with. There must have been some kind of limitation because *SO MANY* genesis games fall into the 'bonk, blat, hiss, ting' school of music. Outside of having stereo sound, I've always thought of genesis as a solid step below most 8-bitters (master system aside, because wow was that bad)

I kinda see what you are saying in some respects... but ThunderForce II while the digitised speech is muffled I'll give that; the audio however in that game is absolutely stunning!

Love the video Jibjab!

Couple things I want to mention.. I had the Genesis I want to say a week or two after launch (thinking it was early Sept.) I bought three games: ThunderForce II, Last Battle and Super Thunder Blade. I wanted to get Space Harrier II at that time but was sold out.

I know you disliked the last two on your video from my list. And some of the complaints are justified BUT I am a fan of both - especially Last Battle. The game does somewhat have a learning curve and also somewhat have a redundant screen layout, but I

stuck w/ that game and once you get into it - I find it enjoyable. The thing w/ Super Thunder Blade that irked me was not within the controls and movement the copter itself, it's just a really short game (only 4 levels). I also want to mention the fourth stage music is awesome!

I do agree TFII was the cream of the crop at launch but my choice (my opinion) Tommy Lasorda was the worst to me. Not saying that it was bad BUT not having the MLB license was a real killer for me since I was a avid RBI player! Actually, I'll probably say it's a tie w/ Super Thunder Blade...

Again, Great vid!

Good video! I had a lot of fun with Altered Beast once I learned the levels -- it's one of those games where memorization makes a huge difference.

BTW the Thunder Force II speech is:

"This is Exceliza."

"Roger. Good luck!"

It's unintelligible on the Genesis, but much clearer in the X68000 version, which also has an extra line ("I will deploy now") that helps the whole thing make more sense.

Good video! I had a lot of fun with Altered Beast once I learned the levels -- it's one of those games where memorization makes a huge difference.

BTW the Thunder Force II speech is:

"This is Exceliza."

"Roger. Good luck!"

It's unintelligible on the Genesis, but much clearer in the X68000 version, which also has an extra line ("I will deploy now") that helps the whole thing make more sense.

For reals? I can see it, but DANG that speech on the Genny is damn near gobbley-gook. "Nanoo Nanoo , Good Ruck!"...that's about as far as I ever figured out. Great game though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed that lookback video. It made me think of the very first Genesis commercial in the US. And yes at the time it was a breath of fresh air compared to the gazzillion NES games which were dull to my teenage self in '89.