IGNORED

Emulation in YouTube Videos. Yea or Nay?

It depends on the system and emulator.

Where emulators are very accurate I don't mind.

One case where I don't like emulation is for the CoCo.

The most popular emulator doesn't properly implement color artifacting in hi-res mode so images are only 4 colors.
  • Like 1

Honestly, who cares? You're only watching a video to say what the graphics and gameplay are like.

Well, if the emulator doesn't reproduce the hardware perfectly, you'll get them wrong.

A simple example : the starfield in Cosmic Ark (atari 2600) is a glitch. Well Stella is now mature, but earlier version would not display the glitch. Sure it's NOT important, but it's part of the game, right?

Also, there is a lot of european tester that plays in 60 htz mode because it's easier to set this on emulator. But when you pick up the real game, well... It plays different. (slower, with some exceptions).

Also, I got some people surprised to see a real Atari 2600 SECAM playing, because they saw only videos from US and sometime PAL units, but never SECAM.

Emulation is fine when the emulator is right, but there is still limits here and there. Also there is that issue of what you wanna show.

Because I see many testers playing (either on emulation or on modded hardware) games from another region and doesn't tell.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

rule number 1, the emulator is never right (though its close enough most of the time)

now if it makes a difference or not depends on the system, those old crusties (8 bitters mostly) can be different from emulation, its kind of totally washed out by the 32 bit era unless your raving about the graphics while also playing on a titan with the PS1 cranked up to 1080 heh

Edited by Osgeld

It depends on the system and emulator.
Where emulators are very accurate I don't mind.
One case where I don't like emulation is for the CoCo.
The most popular emulator doesn't properly implement color artifacting in hi-res mode so images are only 4 colors.

Excellent point James! :) I'm impressed the CoCo emulators can even get four colours though; it would be cool if the technique were improved upon to achieve several colours, but bitd not all CoCo's could display as many artifact colours or as strongly, Tandy went out of their way to enhance the artifact colours in the video signal for the CoCo 2 and more strongly still in the composite video for the CoCo 3.

I see the same differences with the Atari 2600 models having leveraged artifact colours in KC Monster Maze - the 6 switch and the Junior with their better video signal don't display them as strongly (or as many!) as the four switch models with their bad video. I would love to see 2600 artifacting added to an emulator or see a composite mod come out (there are so many!) that supports artifacting :)