IGNORED

System Changer (Atari VCS add on for Intellivision)

So yesterday I was watching ebay and saw a System Changer for a price I could work with. I battled with getting it then finally broke down and bought the thing with the idea that I was kinda liking Atari VCS/2600 games after playing E.T. lately.

Having the system changer means I don't have to set up a different games system, I just need a LONG table for my Intellivision and the Intellivision train. ;)

So some basic questions:

How compatible is the System changer with all Atari 2600 games?

Has anyone tried to install a Harmony cart (rom loader for the Atari 2600) in the System Changer?

What are the strengths and technical quirks of the System changer.

Fun question:

Has anyone tried tapping into the A/V and power leads on the Intellivision 2 like the System Changer does to make other system changers? I always joked with a similiar arrangement that the 5200 had that a Atari Jaguar Changer would be fun. :) Perhaps make a module to play Aquarius games and finally have some compatible between the two Mattel products.

Anyway, any input of experience with the System Changer will be appreciated.

• Like 1

I think this thread answers your question:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209791-harmony-cart-with-intellivision-system-changer/

Shorter: Yes, Harmony Cart should work fine. Nurmix has actually tested it. I don't have one so can't say from direct experience.

The thought of other adapters has crossed my mind as well. I don't see any reason why others couldn't work in theory, but it might get a little tricky with power requirements. I always thought it would be funny to see a ColecoVision adapter, which, if complete, would then also support its own Atari adapter or an Adam. Just imagine that hooked through the ECS and Intellivoice!

Edited by intvsteve

As far as I understand, it is 100% compatible with all Atari VCS games.

It is basically a full Atari VCS. The VCS was built out of off-the-shelf parts, and Mattel (along with many other manufacturers) basically created "clones" of it. Of course, they didn't advertise this fact. They promoted the device with a *wink* *wink* suggestion that the Intellivision master Component was emulating the Atari machine at runtime.

dZ.

Thanks DZ-Jay for that information.

The thought of other adapters has crossed my mind as well. I don't see any reason why others couldn't work in theory, but it might get a little tricky with power requirements. I always thought it would be funny to see a ColecoVision adapter, which, if complete, would then also support its own Atari adapter or an Adam. Just imagine that hooked through the ECS and Intellivoice!

Loved the idea of the Adam hooked up to the Intellivision. Two computers in one!!! (If you had the ECS hooked up.) For that matter, make the Atari 800 system changer.

The ways to cheat here are infinate!

Other than the Atarivox+ (modern voice synthesizer and savekey for Atari) problem I reported in the thread intvsteve linked to, both controller ports are somewhat difficult to reach.

There's no problem with Atari joysticks but some modern DB-9 connectors are a bit thick and won't fit. This same thing happens with the Colecovision Expansion Module and in a lesser degree with the Atari 7800.

Except for these two things, everything works 100%.

All cartridges fit very well in the cartridge slot (this is a problem for some Atari 7800 versions).

Advanced homebrews which push Atari to its limits work 100% (Boulder Dash for instance).

Starpath games work too.

Harmony Cart working 100%.

Here is a link for the Harmony Cart:

http://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

There are other options out there, like the Super Charger (maybe what I'll use for a while), and the original Cuttle Cart. For the 2600 it is probably the best option yet.

Here is a link for the Harmony Cart:

http://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

There are other options out there, like the Super Charger (maybe what I'll use for a while), and the original Cuttle Cart. For the 2600 it is probably the best option yet.

I'm assuming the SD version is the better option? Thanks for the info, good sir!

• 2 weeks later...