IGNORED

INTV Best Game of All Times - Round 3- 3/4

What is the best game in the list  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Vote the best game ever for Intellivision

• Tron Deadly Discs (Mattel / action)
    • Tower od Doom (Intv / role play game)
    • World Championship Baseball (Intv / sport)
    • Astrosmash (Mattel / shoot'em up)
    • Bum'n'jump (Mattel / arcade racing)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This a poll to vote the best game ever for Intellivision :-)

I believe this to be the most difficult poll so far.. until next one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mattel-Tron-Deadly-Discs.jpgINTV-Tower-Of-Doom.jpgINTV-World-Championship-Baseball.jpg

Mattel-Astrosmash.jpgMattel-Bump-n-Jump.jpg

Edited by vprette

So tough, so let's think about this.

Didn't own Tower of Doom or Bump n Jump back in the day and still haven't really played them so their out.

Were down to 3. TDD is awesome but i eventually played it less and less, so that's out.

Down to 2. Still not easy. WCB is a great game i love playing it and still do, but i must admit i can beat the computer easily even on the hardest difficulty.

So in the end i choose Astrosmash.

I told you this question was easy.

That's probably because the Sci-Fi vote is split between Astrosmash and TRON: Deadly Discs. I see that as 13 votes vs. Tower's 9.

"I don't always have an opinion about the best Intellivision game, but when I do, I prefer Sci-Fi"

Seriously are there 13 people who actually only play Sci-Fi themed games who can't even imagine a non Sci-Fi game being better? Even if there are a small fraction of people like that, I'd say those voting for the Sci-Fi games generally believe they are better than the other games and not just because of genre setting. I voted for Astrosmash because I think it is the best game on the list, and I considered voting for every game in the pool. If Astrosmash had NOT been in the pool, I would have voted for Tower over Tron.

I'm surprised by Bump n Jump but if it and Tower are the 2 winners here then that is fine with me. I think those 2 games belong in the top 8 Intv games.

Well this has turned into the most interesting of all the polls so far. Curious to see how this turns out. I think it will be weird to not see a sports game in the top 8 Intellivision games.

Maybe this is a sign that as the system went though it's shelf life, its early obvious strength in sports games was surpassed by a broader mix of games later in its run.

• Like 1

"I don't always have an opinion about the best Intellivision game, but when I do, it's always Sci-Fi"

Seriously are there 13 people who actually only play Sci-Fi themed games who can't even imagine a non Sci-Fi game being better? Even if there are a small fraction of people like that, I'd say those voting for the Sci-Fi games generally believe they are better than the other games and not just because of genre. I voted for Astrosmash because I think it is the best game on the list, and I considered voting for every game in the pool. If Astrosmash had NOT been in the pool, I would have voted for Tower over Tron.

I'm surprised by Bump n Jump but if it and Tower are the 2 winners here then that is fine with me. I think those 2 games belong in the top 8 Intv games.

Wow, struck by the black-and-white extreme hammer once again.

Personally, I think it is conceivable that some people who enjoy space action shooters may not equally enjoy RPG adventure games. in such cases, they have to decide between the two very good space shooters.

On the other hand, an RPG adventure game fan has a clear choice. There's nothing wrong with any of this, but I think it is a valid observation.

Lets keep in mind that we are voting subjectively based on our own preferences, and god knows there are plenty of variations there.

The list of truly awful and unwanted games is pretty small in the Intellivision catalog.

dZ.

Bump 'n' Jump is a game I've always really, really liked, and I'm glad to see it do well. It deserves to do well!

As to whether having a 'bracket' with an eclectic set of games in it is strange... I think it's destined to be that way. For its small size, the Intellivision library delivered some great games in many different genres - overall a surprisingly high quality library, IMNSHO. Surveying the comments across the polling groups, you find some people that never play certain genres (rev, sports, I'm talkin' about you), and others who heavily favor one vs. the other. In this bracket, we have an arcade port / racing game, a sports title (upgrade), an RPG, a straight up space shooter, and a movie tie-in "shooter". It's actually all over the place.

Now, do game players generally gravitate to one genre over another? (Side note: Genre meaning the game's place setting, not the style of game.) Do Intellivision players specifically prefer 'SF' games over others? That's slippery to pin down. I doubt it -- look at the library. You'd have thought that if customers kept demanding more and more space shooters, we'd have gotten more and more of them from INTV Corp. We didn't, really. We got a lot of sports titles, a fighter (Body Slam), a racer (Mud Buggies), some rehashes (Learning Fun, Triple Challenge), an RPG and a couple arcade style games.

Of course, if you took Tron Deadly Discs and changed the discs to boomerangs and the recognizer to some crazy bad-ass cyclops, the core gameplay would be the same and it would be fantasy game. Would it still be as popular? No - it's not Tron. (Maybe Clash of the Titans? :P )

Rambling a bit here, but I think at this point, it's likely less the game's 'setting' that pulls votes. I think it's more nostalgia + fun + <voter-specific-secret-ingredients>. That nostalgia, of course, is also a totally personal thing, but IMO it transcends game setting and is time, manner, place, and people you enjoyed the game(s) with.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

Huh? Do you mean the B&W extreme of someone voting for a game purely on the basis of being SciFi or not SciFi? Honestly asking.

Yes, I think that it is silly to think in such extremes. My observation was that someone who likes spacey-action shooter games (and I am one of them) would be more inclined to vote for those sort of games (again, including myself); and likewise for those who like adventure-ish RPG games.

For instance, WSMLB Baseball may be the best game ever made, but you will never get me to vote for it if it appears next to one of my own personal childhood favorites such as Astrosmash or even Star Strike (to the chagrin of sports fans). ;)

That, to me, explains why one game has so many votes ahead of other highly regarded games: because it has no direct competition from other similar styles of games; while some others may compete directly with each other.

dZ.

I would be disappointed/very surprised if Tower of Doom doesn't even get 1 of top 2 spots. I thought it was a lock. I do have to give Bump 'N' Jump some more play time it appears as I haven't touched in a while but remember it being fun. My 2nd place vote would've probably went to Astromash - while not my favorite game, I always liked it, respected it and have some fond gaming memories with that one. This has indeed turned into quite the battle.

I suspect there may be some fake or double votes coming in as the leader hadn't changed in this pool for days. Now suddenly we see a different result out of the blue from a game that many are surprised to see so high (BnJ). Either that or voters who usually play other systems have seen the activity and come to vote in the pool without even knowing what ToD or WCB is.