IGNORED

Motherboard diagrams for 8-bits?

Gunstar

I'm looking for motherboard diagrams for 8-bits, specifically 1200XL, 800XL and 600XL. I have schematics for the 1200XL and I'm sure i could find schematics for the others, but I really need actual mobo diagrams to help me in following traces while chips and other components are still mounted and in the way of me seeing the entire mobo. Can anyone help with links or pdf, etc. files?

Also, I could use some data sheets for Atari custom chips and memory chips for both 64K and 256K (4264 and 81256) for testing functionality.

Edited by Gunstar

So...do mask drawings/mobo diagrams just not exist? I'd hate to have to buy a bare motherboards from Best E. just to use as a diagram...I know I could just buy one and transfer components or buy a populated mobo, but the whole point is attempting to save a few of my populated mobo's from oblivion...and maybe save some money through repairs...

Edited by Gunstar

I don't think there's any out there, if there was I'm sure Curt would have released them and I'd have grabbed them.

Additionally there's multiple board revisions of most models.

Doing simple chip to chip continuity test should be sufficient to verify each particular trace is good. Sure there's more complex paths such as the video circuit that would require more extensive testing although visual confirmation of the image is enough to at least say it's good.

I suppose it's times like these that we really do need another diagnositic cartridge. Or maybe even a drop-in OS replacement that can make the system express signs of life that can be tested for without hooking up to a TV.

I don't think there's any out there, if there was I'm sure Curt would have released them and I'd have grabbed them.

Additionally there's multiple board revisions of most models.

Doing simple chip to chip continuity test should be sufficient to verify each particular trace is good. Sure there's more complex paths such as the video circuit that would require more extensive testing although visual confirmation of the image is enough to at least say it's good.

I suppose it's times like these that we really do need another diagnositic cartridge. Or maybe even a drop-in OS replacement that can make the system express signs of life that can be tested for without hooking up to a TV.

Atari did design an 80 column video board for the 1090 Expansion Chassis. The board Curt has in the museum is unfinished/almost completely bare.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8bits/xl/xl_protos/cards.html

ICD promised an 80 column upgrade for the MIO which was also never released.

The 130XE FSM has the board silksceen on it, but that's of no use to you (I have this and can scan if you need it). Perhaps others here have some other FSMs they could scan?

I've found out that all the field Service Manuals are supposed to have both schematics and silkscreens of the mobo's attached to their covers, but NONE of the PDF's online that I've found actually include these schematics or silkscreens. If anyone has the silkscreens for the 600xl, 800xl and 1200xl-most important to me-, from the FSM's, can you scan them or PDF them or whatever please?

I've found out that all the field Service Manuals are supposed to have both schematics and silkscreens of the mobo's attached to their covers, but NONE of the PDF's online that I've found actually include these schematics or silkscreens. If anyone has the silkscreens for the 600xl, 800xl and 1200xl-most important to me-, from the FSM's, can you scan them or PDF them or whatever please?

I'm out of the state right now, but when I get back I have both the 800XL and 130XE Sam's Manuals and Field Service Manuals. I can scan them in and post. Give me about a week.

• Like 1

Neither Atari's or the Sam's repair manuals included silk-screens of the boards on any of them. I have them all and there aren't any included.

Allan

That may be, but I mentioned it because the Atari FSM's state within their pages that silk-screens are attached to the covers. So either it was intended to be that way and then never happened (at the time of FSM writing) or you didn't get complete FSM's. I'd imagine the second to be more likely since all the FSM's say this, all written and printed over many years as the computers were released...if they weren't going to include them, I think they wouldn't have mentioned them being attached in ALL the FSM's released.

I've downloaded PDF's of all the Atari FSM's ; that's what I'm refering too.

I'm looking for motherboard diagrams for 8-bits, specifically 1200XL, 800XL and 600XL. I have schematics for the 1200XL and I'm sure i could find schematics for the others, but I really need actual mobo diagrams to help me in following traces while chips and other components are still mounted and in the way of me seeing the entire mobo. Can anyone help with links or pdf, etc. files?

Also, I could use some data sheets for Atari custom chips and memory chips for both 64K and 256K (4264 and 81256) for testing functionality.

Silkscreens are not going to show you where traces are going while chips, resistors/transistors/caps are still in place. Silkscreens are used to print on the pcb, the gross parts location, id, and jumper settings etc. Sometimes logos and version #. The schematic tells what pin(part) is connected to what other pin(part) and power and ground etc. In order to "see" the trace from 1 pin to another under a chip/socket you would have to remove the chip/socket.

:dunce: Terminology here: I just realized you really mean a print out of the gerber(photo mask/film) files used to make the motherboard itself. They would show all the routing of the traces. If they still exist, they were never released to the wild.

Edited by Dropcheck

Silkscreens are not going to show you where traces are going while chips, resistors/transistors/caps are still in place.

That's why I removed all components from an old 800XL PCB I had laying around so I can at least read the component numbers and follow traces. Too bad there are different PCB revisions.

Did the same with a 130XE PCB but this one has lots of damaged traces.

That may be, but I mentioned it because the Atari FSM's state within their pages that silk-screens are attached to the covers. So either it was intended to be that way and then never happened (at the time of FSM writing) or you didn't get complete FSM's. I'd imagine the second to be more likely since all the FSM's say this, all written and printed over many years as the computers were released...if they weren't going to include them, I think they wouldn't have mentioned them being attached in ALL the FSM's released.

I've downloaded PDF's of all the Atari FSM's ; that's what I'm refering too.

It's certainly possible but it would be rather strange for everybody to remove those pages from their service manuals. Almost all of the service manuals on Atarimania were scanned by me although they were all purchased used. I had one collection that had dozens of service manuals included and I did not see one silkscreen. I guess the only way to know is to buy a service manual from B & C or Best and see if they have a silkscreen included.

Allan

Curious, I don't recall explaining why I need the mobo diagram/silk screen/gerbers, or whatever anyone wants to call them, I just asked if anyone had them. If they weren't important and some people didn't need them, then they would never have been invented and we all would still be making electronics with breadboards and wire wraps still. My project and why I need them is my business, if you can't supply them, then keep your trivia to your self, I am quite aware what testing and circuit diagrams are good for, so thanks for nothing.

That's why I removed all components from an old 800XL PCB I had laying around so I can at least read the component numbers and follow traces. Too bad there are different PCB revisions.

Did the same with a 130XE PCB but this one has lots of damaged traces.

Apparently I'm going to have to do something similar or just purchase empty motherboard PCB's.

Thanks to all who tried to help me, and thanks for nothing to all who merely expressed their opinions on why or why not such things are needed.

:dunce: Terminology here: I just realized you really mean a print out of the gerber(photo mask/film) files used to make the motherboard itself. They would show all the routing of the traces. If they still exist, they were never released to the wild.

Yeah, I've heard them refered to as several different names in this thread and in FSM's too. I just call them mobo diagrams. But in any case, the FSM's themselves state that they are included, attached to the covers of the FSM's themselves, so they were obviously included at some point, even if it was only to officially licensed service repair centers with their FSM copies.

Apparently I'm going to have to do something similar or just purchase empty motherboard PCB's.

There must be more out there who have blank PCB's laying around. If they have a way to make an image of these, don't hesitate to do so :-)

(don't have the hardware to make images of mines)

• 1 year later...

i bought a bare 1200xl mb and took a crapload of pics in sections.. here is what I have right now.. if you want specific sexions just ask..

whole board but for some reason i cant upload it

wanna play mosaic? merge like 50 pics some not blury some blurry..

email send to me in PM

post-31447-0-68766600-1461112179_thumb.jpg

post-31447-0-74276300-1461112328_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rybags, on 12 May 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

Curious, I don't recall explaining why I need the mobo diagram/silk screen/gerbers, or whatever anyone wants to call them, I just asked if anyone had them. If they weren't important and some people didn't need them, then they would never have been invented and we all would still be making electronics with breadboards and wire wraps still. My project and why I need them is my business, if you can't supply them, then keep your trivia to your self, I am quite aware what testing and circuit diagrams are good for, so thanks for nothing.

"... so thanks for nothing"

:-o :? :(

Did I miss something? Seemed like Rybags was just trying to help.

- Michael