IGNORED

just got donkey kong for the 2600

dirtboy69

it's great game my only beef is that it seems to have any two levels repeated one after the other i have the same game for coleco and it doesn't havn't that problem. i don't see the two systems that far apart so why the lack of levels in the atari one? is it just small carteridge size? there was bigger carts for the atari so

Join the club. When it was first released...it was sorta a let down then too! hehe..

Best Atari DK games were the original 400/800 one (Includes Pie Factory). And the later redone 7800 version which looks arcade as a match...but the sounds are well....blech...

IIRC Garry worked on Donkey Kong as a contractor. If that's the case then I don't see how Coleco would have crippled it. I could be wrong of course.

Other factors in the decision could have been cost. The 2600 version is 4K and looking at the code it's crammed solid. There could have been some improvements with optimization of course ;) But I have found you don't know what the developer was going through at the time their coding was done. He may have been on a tight schedule. I think it's a great game given it's crammed in 4K.

If the game had gone to 8K there is no doubt in my mind that the other boards could have been included or a least the firefoxes could have moved up and down the ladders.

Donkey Kong was the single biggest let-down for me during the 2600's career.

More so than Defender and Pac-Man put together.

And to think I payed $29.95 for it in '83 still makes me mad today.

Did you know that once you clear both screens the difficulty does not change? That you just play until you bust your arm? :sad:

Did you know that once you clear both screens the difficulty does not change? That you just play until you bust your arm?   :sad:

Actually the difficulty does change but it's probably not noticable. As your score increases you'll notice the firefoxes jumping/moving over rivets you've removed from time to time.

Well, Coleco was notorious for sabotaging their games for other systems in order to make theirs look superior.  I would guess that this is the case here.

I think the Coleco sabotage is a myth. Granted DK and DK junior on the 2600 are pretty lame , but there's lots of bad conversions on the 2600. It also doesn't make sense from an economic stand point to purposely make the game bad. If they wanted to force people to the CV they wouldn't have made a DK for the VCS at all.

sorta OT - I found a Donkey Kong cart at a flea market, but not for the 2600, maybe you guys know what it runs on.

it said something like 'atari cx###' (cant remember the numbers) it was about the size of an intellivision cart, but thicker. No graphics on it. I guessed it was some kind of pc cart, maybe amiga? :?

sorta OT - I found a Donkey Kong cart at a flea market, but not for the 2600, maybe you guys know what it runs on.  

it said something like 'atari cx###' (cant remember the numbers)  it was about the size of an intellivision cart, but thicker. No graphics on it. I guessed it was some kind of pc cart, maybe amiga?   :?

Did it have a silver label with just text on it? If so its probably for the Commodore 64.

it said something like 'atari cx###' (cant remember the numbers)  it was about the size of an intellivision cart, but thicker. No graphics on it. I guessed it was some kind of pc cart, maybe amiga?   :?

It sounds like the Atari 400/800 version.

well, I don't have my DP guide handy but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't released in three of the common label variations for the Atari 8bits. You have the early brown ones pictured above, the later grey/text labels, and XE carts that were blue/brown with picture labels.

Well if it's the Atari 400/800 Donkey Kong that's good because that is the BEST old-school console version of Donkey Kong (even besting the Colecovision/Adam versions imho).

Too bad it didn't make it to the 5200 though :) (yes yes I know why it couldn't). ;)

If I were an experienced 2600 programmer, which I'm not, I would love to make a better 2600 DK port. It's been one of my favorite arcade games, and I still play the Atari 8bit version now & then as well as the version found inside N64 Donkey Kong. But DK 2600 is poo ... how disappointing it was. Sure, it may be due to similar "4k limit" reasons just as with the original 2600 Pac-Man, but Coleco could've made an 8k version and bumped the cart cost up a few dollars. Why didn't they do these kinds of things?!

Imagine a bank-switched 16K 2600 Donkey Kong!

Well, Coleco was notorious for sabotaging their games for other systems in order to make theirs look superior.  I would guess that this is the case here.

I think the Coleco sabotage is a myth. Granted DK and DK junior on the 2600 are pretty lame , but there's lots of bad conversions on the 2600. It also doesn't make sense from an economic stand point to purposely make the game bad. If they wanted to force people to the CV they wouldn't have made a DK for the VCS at all.

I believe this to be a myth too. Look at some of their other carts..

Smurf is very good,

Venture is a classic

Mouse Trap pretty well rocks!

I've heard good things about Time Pilot

I enjoy Carnival

I believe this to be a myth too.  Look at some of their other carts..

Smurf is very good,

Venture is a classic

I enjoy Carnival

Exactly. The only reasons for Donkey Kong to stink are (A.) it was a rush job (B.) they really didn't try that hard or (C.) both. It's definitely not a case of "make CV look better on purpose."

I believe this to be a myth too.  Look at some of their other carts..

Smurf is very good,

Venture is a classic

I enjoy Carnival

And I like Roc 'N Rope :D