IGNORED

Back in the 5200 groove

PacManPlus

Is the Rev-9 the best ones? Not counting the Gold Kits from Best Electronics. I think that's the same vendor on ePay I was referring to in my previous post.

Rev 9 is the last change Atari made to the design.. If I remember right, the reason Rev 9 is the best is because the way the traces are routed. I think it attempts to run them so that if there is a break it doesn't take out all the button functions. I think there is even some redundancy in the traces in case of a break.

Years ago I used to be all about the 5200 controller. Now, WTF do I know? :P

• Like 2

Hi Guys!

I promised pictures, so here they are! :) The unit came out much brighter in the pictures (it's actually a dark maroon), so the pics don't do it justice.

Took apart everything when I got it (it was very dirty), and put the case in the dishwasher first. After it dried, I painted it with Krylon plastic paint (two coats).

I tried to match the lid with the silver on the aluminum ... It came sorta close.

Regarding the controllers, I was able to get two of the three working (but I pulled off the rubber boot on each; they were too dirty and I hate those things anyway).

The trackball I need to perform surgery on; pressing the fire button causes the player to move :?

Hope it looks ok.

@Allan, thank you. :)

post-1787-0-97477100-1401131260_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-73947100-1401131267_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-51440600-1401131273_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, guys :)

I did not prime it first - the Krylon paint is meant to stick to plastic. I did two coats just to be sure.

What is the VBXE mod?

The Atari 8-bit mod that upgrades the video output to almost modern resolutions and RGB output. I believe one person reportedly has done it to a 5200. I think they used the 400 or 800 version.

I'm also unaware of anyone that's done a Stereo Pokey out mod using the A8 versions...

Thanks for the Krylon info!

Hi Guys!

I promised pictures, so here they are! :) The unit came out much brighter in the pictures (it's actually a dark maroon), so the pics don't do it justice.

Took apart everything when I got it (it was very dirty), and put the case in the dishwasher first. After it dried, I painted it with Krylon plastic paint (two coats).

I tried to match the lid with the silver on the aluminum ... It came sorta close.

Regarding the controllers, I was able to get two of the three working (but I pulled off the rubber boot on each; they were too dirty and I hate those things anyway).

The trackball I need to perform surgery on; pressing the fire button causes the player to move :?

Hope it looks ok.

@Allan, thank you. :)

attachicon.gif20140526_145601.jpg

attachicon.gif20140526_145621.jpg

attachicon.gif20140526_145647.jpg

Looks good Bob . How did it go with getting that strip off ? I am wanting to take mine off and wondered how you got yours off and how did it go in doing that .

• 2 weeks later...