IGNORED

They're still using that old thing?!

From atariage.com/forums/topic/225462-bbc-micro-in-javascript/

The Wikipedia article on the BBC says that as of 2004 (which is of course a long time ago now) the Jodrell Bank observatory was still using a BBC micro to steer their telescope 8).

We should make a list about such old computer still being used today for various uses.
I heard that on a French freeway, they used Thomson or Spectrum computers, used for tolls, up to 2003 I think. And they replaced them ONLY because the machine able to read and transfer the tape data couldn't be updated to more recent versions of Windows. But the computer themselves were all still up and running.

So, I figured I'd start a thread so that we can make that list of old home computers that are still being put to use. Pretty much any machine covered in AtariAge forums is acceptable. Preferably, we should keep it to non-personal usage ;).

There is or at least used to be some (vintage) computer store in the middle of the US which ran the checkout entirely on a C64 or if it was a C128. Perhaps not so odd if they're dealing with vintage computer gear, but I suppose accountants might get some extra work when obtaining and checking records unless of course the Commodore setup has been programmed to output such reports and formats that correspond to what modern day software would generate. Sorry, I can't recall which store it was, but someone else like e.g. Robert Bernardo surely will be able to tell its name, whether it still is open and exactly how the setup looks like.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

The Smithsonian used to run some of their interactive exhibits in the Air and Space museum on TI-99/4A computers until they renovated the section they were in about 10 years ago. . .so the computers were still doing useful work-tasks 20 years after TI pulled out of the market.

• Like 2

I bet a whole lot of systems were upgraded due to the Y2K scare. And sometimes unnecessarily. Stuff that relied upon the correct date had to go, there really were serious issues with some applications. Art Bell's predictions on Coast to Coast radio bordered on ludicrous, and I had a good laugh when he simply dropped the topic afterwards when nothing much bad happened. That really was because most everyne did their due digilence and had things smoothed out.

But prior to that, there were many almost off-the-shelf systems, that included customized controls and data recording capabilities that would be difficult to tear out and switch over to newer platforms.

-Ed

• Like 1

we run a lot of ... vintage ... electronics manufacturing equipment for some of our oldest products (car parts, so whatever works) I think there's one or 2 XT's left, but the other 3-4 machines have been upgraded to the latest n greatest ... that works with ISA slots, so 486's, p1's act weird cause of their chipset and non direct architecture

course intel didnt drop 386's and 486's until 2007, specificly cause they did get so embedded in machinery, so its actually pretty easy to find main-boards / chips to keep in stock when one does puke (which is actually extremely rare,the few remaining P4's die at 5x the rate, but who cares, those are windows machines)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I remember reading an article within the last 10 years where a guy was running his scrap metal or auto salvage business on a C64 or Apple II. He was a "if it ain't broke" kinda guy.

found him

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249951/if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it_ancient_computers_in_use_today.html?page=3

• Like 1

Maybe that web server was running on a C64 or Apple II:

"Error 500

Internal Server Error

Looks like something has gone wrong in the plumbing. We'll be fixing this just as soon as we can."

This link may work better:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249951/if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it_ancient_computers_in_use_today.html

I would guess that PCWorld doesn't like Direct Linking to the 3rd Page..

MarkO