IGNORED

Bee3 - Its alive!

I think it's a milestone on the path to a Rocketeer release. ;-)

And also Mars Minis and anything else I want to put out into the world this year*.

It also means that I don't have to worry about taking my CC3 to retro shows and events. I have had a demo game cart stolen in the past but that hasn't stopped me going to them or sending other games to Albert for the shows he goes to. Its always fun to see peoples reactions to homebrew games and talk "shop" about the old gals (and I don't mean the Golden Girls, Rev!!! :lol:).

* At some point I'll be moving over to Rev2s for my own releases.

• Like 1

And also Mars Minis and anything else I want to put out into the world this year*.

It also means that I don't have to worry about taking my CC3 to retro shows and events. I have had a demo game cart stolen in the past but that hasn't stopped me going to them or sending other games to Albert for the shows he goes to. Its always fun to see peoples reactions to homebrew games and talk "shop" about the old gals (and I don't mean the Golden Girls, Rev!!! :lol:).

* At some point I'll be moving over to Rev2s for my own releases.

Cool! I'm looking forward to these releases. :)

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this and I'll add functionality to the Bee3 BIOS so that it writes some magic values to its on-chip RAM. That way the Inty "API" can check if the values exist in RAM and if they do it can make Bee3 "BIOS calls" to handle EEPROM data read/write. However, if they don't exist then those same routines can just return an fake "error" of some kind. That way the game will still work on CC3, jzintv etc.

Been meaning to ask a couple questions about the terms above:

• By "Bee3 BIOS", do you mean the firmware that runs on the Bee3's own CPU (i.e. firmware that is not executed by the Intellivision's CPU)?
  • By "Inty API", are you referring to registers the Bee3 exposes to code that runs on the Intellivision CPU? Alternatively, does the Bee3 board present a ROM segment that contains Intellivision CPU code (ex: helper code for other developers to utilize the Bee3 board)? Or as a 3rd alternative, is the "Inty API" some source code for the Intellivision CPU that other developers can compile into their own games?

Thanks.

• Like 1

By "Bee3 BIOS", do you mean the firmware that runs on the Bee3's own CPU (i.e. firmware that is not executed by the Intellivision's CPU)?

Correct! The only code executed by the Inty CPU is that of the game the Bee3 is hosting. The Bee3 "BIOS" boots up quite a while before the Inty and waits for things to do after it has initialised itself.

By "Inty API", are you referring to registers the Bee3 exposes to code that runs on the Intellivision CPU? Alternatively, does the Bee3 board present a ROM segment that contains Intellivision CPU code (ex: helper code for other developers to utilize the Bee3 board)? Or as a 3rd alternative, is the "Inty API" some source code for the Intellivision CPU that other developers can compile into their own games?

The Bee3 maps in extra I/O registers, along with the ROM (and any RAM needed). There is no extra BIOS/EXEC API ROM that games need to make calls into. That allows a game to have any memory map layout it wants. I'll be providing example source code and documentation at some point in the future. Developers will be free to adapt and integrate that code into their games.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bee3 hardware validation and testing is coming along slowly :-

post-21935-0-71917800-1407087396_thumb.jpg

The photo shows each flash memory page/segment in a 42K word ROM executing instructions that generate all the Inty CPU bus cycles and validating the results. It happily runs for 4+ hours (performing 61,000+ test loops) without any problems in PAL. It also pattern tests the Bee3's on-board cart RAM too.

I'm planning to add a checksum to each page/segment and also add tests to check that the cart's EEPROM is working as expected too.

• Like 2

All joking aside, since I don't know what the hell your last update posts really means, :) does this mean the boards are getting close to being ready for production?

There is still a whole heap of testing to be done. Unfortunately, doing the amount of testing that I want to do takes time, because I really don't want any issues after my games have shipped. But yeah, its getting ever closer to a production run :D.