IGNORED

DANG...Genesis isn't working, I needs the help!

atarilovesyou

Sooooo...

I tried to power up a 1st version Genesis today for the first time and...

The screen has a weird brown color, and with some distortion in the middle like the screen is trying to roll.

And a loud annoying hum.

I tried this with a cart, and without...same thing happened.

Tried two different AV cables...same thing.

SO...I have NO clue what to do next. It's in really good cosmetic shape, so I'd really like to get it working. Does this sound like maybe a bad power supply?...I only have a ver2 Genny with its power supply, will that work? I don't wanna blow anything up.

Any suggestions, guys? Thanks in advance :( In all my years of retrogaming, I can't say I've gotten a machine that didn't power up....especially in this nice condition.

Turns out it was a case of Stupiditis:

SNES power supply which was nearby, assumed that was the Sega supply :(

The good news is, with the right supply it works! :D So that's great, lol....

Is there any chance I may have damaged something by using the wrong AC adaptor?...the SNES one fits quite nicely, oddly enough. Unless it draws more current, I would think that I dodged a bullet. Poor Genesis...I think this may be the first time I've ever made an AC error like this. I'm gettin' OOOOOOLD...

...and I'm not out of the woods yet, now that the power supply is correct, I'm trying to get my Everdrive to work with it.

The menu works fine, I can select games, no problems, until I try to load up a game. I get a few seconds into it (max about 15) and then the screen freezes, maybe some weird in-game code stuff comes up, but the sound continues working. Then I have to reset or power off.

This is going to take some work.

Are there any Genesis Yurkie's here?

...and I'm not out of the woods yet, now that the power supply is correct, I'm trying to get my Everdrive to work with it.

The menu works fine, I can select games, no problems, until I try to load up a game. I get a few seconds into it (max about 15) and then the screen freezes, maybe some weird in-game code stuff comes up, but the sound continues working. Then I have to reset or power off.

This is going to take some work.

Are there any Genesis Yurkie's here?

Do you have any original Genesis carts you can try to play for an extended period just to ensure where the problem is?

For this to be an Everdrive issue seems odd as typically of any Everdrive related problems I have ever heard about they either load and run or do not.

If however you determine the issue is Everdrive related you might want to post HERE:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

OR HERE:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?112-Mega-Everdrive-Everdrive-MD&s=c99aea29de254b510e8dd1e8ad7858bf

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm not sure if it's an Everdrive problem or Genesis problem. Too make it more fun, I tried the ED again tonight for like 20 minutes (I know, I know, so much personal time! LOL) and the thing worked flawlessly. No pauses, gaps, nothing...played all the games that hung-up before and nuthin'. I should be happy!...but I'm not, because I know if it happened before it will probably happen again.

I will test it for a week and next month my Genesis Ver2 will be in house, so I can compare to see what's shakin'. I'll try the Krikzz forums too...I've read a bunch over there and there does seem to be some hang-up issues. I haven't even tried out my Super Everdrive yet, but at least I have some carts to troubleshoot against.

As far as capacitors go, or even power supplies, would they ever cause the kinds of issues I've seen? Could it be the roms? I'm thinking not, but I just don't have enough experience with the Genny. Sure is fun getting back into it, though...lots of fun games that I can't even remember. A local shop got a nice haul of Genny carts in great shape that I, typically, passed OVER...but I'll go grab the Gauntlet 4 just to make sure the console isn't to blame. I read an issue where the ED would hang up from 30 to 40 minutes into a game! ...that is crazy, and really, if that's what happens, these are getting returned. Nothing against the developer, but I didn't have a single issue with either my PowerPak, Harmony cart or Atarimax CV.

ANnnnnnd....it's not working today. I tried it with a mint cartridge, and the most I could get out of it was a 'Tengen' screen, then it froze. Turns out the first power supply I used was a NES one, not SNES...and apparently, the NES ones do in fact work with a Genesis. Funny how this one didn't, though...I'm trying to track down the seller on ebay, but wouldn't you know it, the day I finally powered it up was the last day I could open a case :( Hopefully the seller is reasonable.

Does anybody here offer repair services for model 1 Gennys? There was a guy in Alberta here in Canada who used to do it, but his website is down and I assume out of business.

It's freezing during the "Licensed by Sega" screen...sometimes I can get the menu from the Everdrive to load, but more often than not, it's not even working today.

Could it be a power supply issue? Capacitors? On/off switch? Dirty cart connector (I hear they're soldered to the board and can only be cleaned externally)?

Any help would be awesome, or maybe a point in the right direction. I tried to register over at Sega 16, but for some reason my email was banned...odd, as I've never been a member there. Maybe my nickname, lol!

I needs the helps, I needs em!

It could just be a dirty cart port. Many people like to use some very fine sand paper wrapped around a credit card to lightly buff the springs in the cart port to make sure you get good contact. The fact that the menu ran at one time, but you had games that would fail part way through seems to make that possible.

The NES came with an AC power supply and the Genesis came with a DC one. Many aftermarket NES supplies are DC so they can make them 2in1 or 3in1. If you plugged a real NES adapter into the Genesis then you are very lucky it didn't fry something. Using a Genesis power supply on a NES however is no big deal as the NES can accept DC input. It may prefer it even based on watt readings.

I'd either take the NES (assuming it's AC) cord away or label them clearly. This is not a good thing to happen.

It does sound like the cart port. I cleaned mine with a credit card, wd40, and a blue paper towel. The blue shop towels are lint free and strong enough to come out without shredding. Many say to use alcohol but either is fine. WD40 doesn't conduct electricity at low voltage and evaporates clean after some time. The paper towel gets it off the cart reader. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

Edited by mkiker2089
  • Like 1

WD40 will dissolve plastics and similar. It's why they tell you to never use WD40 on computer fans. I imagine that a little amount will act as a cleaning agent much like alcohol, but stronger. :)

Oh, and an emery board (nail file) can also be used on those really bad contacts if you don't have really fine sand paper.

I've used wd40 on hard plastic as a cleaning agent for 20 years and never seen it dissolve anything. It's not really a strong cleaner but it works by coating the dirt in oil like HE laundry detergent so it will either fall to the bottom or stick to the rag. It's a lubricant

WD40 is really just a mix of light weight mineral oils anyway. I've actually seen people use it like armour all on black plastic and I suspect the two are more similar than the labels would have you believe. On some things that are supposed to be dark plastic I have used it to darken it and re-apply every six months. Counts Custom Cars sells a knock off version actually for the same use.

However I will defer to the experts when it comes to cleaning game systems. Cleaning goo off a cartridge and the delicate insides of a genesis are very different. Alcohol will evaporate much faster so it's probably safer on that part alone.

Of course you also have to consider that some people spray wd40 on aching joints, some people use it as an air freshener, some people use it as insect repellant, some people spray it on animals to kill fleas and mites...... Don't always do what you see others doing.

wd40 in my experience is harmless to plastics in the short term, I wouldn't spay my cat with it though, and I wouldn't spray it on any painted plastics

most people say to not use it on fans cause they hose it down trying to lube it, WD40 is not a lube! The thinner in it, and the propellent in the can (but you can buy it as a non aerosol, and it actually makes a ok cutting cooling oil for machining) could eventually damage plastics if quantities are left to puddle on a surface

Edited by Osgeld

Wow, I'm glad you guys were talking about the cleaning materials for the system...I've read about WD40 but I'm going to go the Pledge route. I just don't trust the WD40, although lots of folks seem to use it. I don't want to deal with the smell or possible long-term plastic effects. My system needs a refresher, though...in more ways than one.

I took the thing apart completely, using a video I found on youtube (an actual repair video someone uploaded from back in the day, very useful). I was hoping after a good cleaning to the slot, dust removal and all that, that she would be magically healed!

Well that didn't happen :D

It was working somewhat before, but now it powers on, but doesn't get past the "Licensed by Sega blah blah blah", the TMSS chip screen. It just freezes there. After wondering what was up, as the board looked very good (aside from the dust), no burn marks or anything to give me the impression something was burnt out. I noticed the power switch plastic top (in the shell) was kinda loose, yet the switch inside was tight. So, I wiggled all the cords....no difference. Wiggled the power switch...the game booted up, but with some white dots and strange color glitches. The game ran, though. Hit reset, and it went back to the same ol' same ol', not getting past the TMSS screen. And the Everdrive only got to the menu once, and with every keypad press, numerical glitches...and no games ran.

So...I can either return the console, or say F it and try to fix it. I'm inclined to keep in it any case as cosmetically, it really is in good shape. But the video I watched for repair only covers things like the voltage regulators, RF port (not an issue, I'm using AV outputs), power supply replacement...what else, joystick repair. Simple stuff. The regulators looked good, but who knows, I'll need to get out the multimeter to be sure.

I've read a lot over at Sega 16 but haven't read anyone with an issue like mine. I'm convinced it's salvageable because in those 1 in 10 times, the games work. So that's promising.

The only thing I'll really be able to do at this point is replace the capacitors. But my concern is that's a lot of time, and what if it doesn't fix the problem? I can't tell if any of the chips are suspect, and I'd just be blindly replacing components.

Has anybody done a recap? They sell packs on ebay with all the ones you need. Either that or I gotta find another Genny...what do you guys think?

I've used wd40 on hard plastic as a cleaning agent for 20 years and never seen it dissolve anything.

Before I knew better, I used it on a CPU fan, which wound up having to be replaced. I use proper lubricants for plastic fans now.

Of course you also have to consider that some people spray wd40 on aching joints, some people use it as an air freshener, some people use it as insect repellant,

Holy crap! Don't people read warning labels? The one on WD40 is pretty clear about ingesting it, inhaling it, getting it in your eyes, or even on the skin. I think it's probably the main reason alcohol is used for cleaning... not nearly as harmful if you get it on/in yourself.

Well, done the final cleaning on the cart slot (a little 400 grit and 99% iso), did her up with some lemon Pledge (which worked VERY well...not slippery at all after it's buffed in, and the lemon smell goes away after a few minutes, not that it was at all offensive, lil lemons!).

Wish me luck, as I got to power it up...

...if this didn't work, then my next step is to resolder the cart slot. If that doesn't work, I give up :D

AND...the cart powered up, went to the title screen...BUT NO SOUND :(

And the Everdrive loaded up the menu screen, went to select a game AND...screen goes black, but you can hear the music :(

This is still better than what it was yesterday, but I'm wondering...I did about ten passes with the 440 grit paper on the slot, followed by the isopropyl alcohol. Should I give the sand paper one more round? The thing is, even after ten passes there was some discoloration coming off on the sandpaper. Not as much as on the first pass, but considerable. I don't want to go too far, and who knows if this is actually working, but I figure I have nothing to lose at this point. Then I can continue to the hunt with the resolder of the cart slot.

What do you guys think?...thanks again for the assistance and comments, as for whatever reason I still haven't heard back from Sega 16 forum's tech dudes...which is blocking me from creating an account.

you dont want to sand too deep, the contacts are plated, not to make them pretty but to keep the easily corroded metal sealed up from the outside world

most would argue you should not use abrasive at all but some type of cleaner, ie barkeepers friend, which contains an abrasive hehe

Edited by Osgeld

Sounds at least like most of the electronics work - you may be able to sell it for parts. Getting a known working console would be better than trying to fix it yourself unless you are experienced in fixing these things yourself. Ah! The joys of messing with 25 year-old consoles. :D

• Like 1