JacobZu7zu7

Hi , I am having problems with

what steps I need to take to get the

Atari 2600 Em' to work... I downloaded things

and I unzipped them with WinZip,

now I dunno what I'm supposed to do,

So I deleted it all.

I forgot what I learned and

the instuctions are confusing me more... :?

Can anyone here possibly post or

email me the steps I need?

From, say like, 1-10

Just things like what to download

and what programs I need to

get the '2600 into a working emulator.

1 pick an emulator.. lets say, Z26

2 download emulator.

3 drop Emulator zip file into its own folder, e.g. "atari"

4 unzip emulator into aftformentioned folder

5 download games directly into said folder

6 unzip games into said folder with emulator

7 double click on the .exe of the emulator file

at this point emulator should kick in and offer you a list of the games ( the ones you downloaded) that are available

8 pick the game that you want to play and press enter.

9 play game

HAVING PROBLEMS,

Ok, step 4

>4 unzip emulator into aftformentioned folder --

does this mean in the New Folder? Called Atari

For all the Emulator stuff??

>5 download games directly into said folder

Does this mean after I finish the download I put

it in the folder any way I want?

>6 unzip games into said folder with emulator

-GOT THAT-

>7 double click on the .exe of the emulator file

Create a self Extractor??

I tried to but I just have to know how to put the games

or -zip file- into the EMULATOR.

>at this point emulator should kick in and offer you a list of the games >the ones you downloaded) that are available----

I tried it and all it said was 'NO FILES'

I can't get a list of games or anything. :x

I'll keep trying.

Nooo...NO step is creating an executable zipfile anywhere! :D

I'll try to explain his steps as clearly as I can.

1 pick an emulator.. lets say, Z26

Pretty much self-explainatory. On this emulator page you will see a number of them.

2 download emulator.

It's Z26 in this case. Just click on the link and Windows will ask you what you want to do with the zipfile. Make sure the save to disk option is highlighted (has the little booger in the circle) and click the button marked OK. The download will begin.

3 drop Emulator zip file into its own folder, e.g. "atari"

Immediately, another dialog box should pop up that shows a number of things. In the upper area of this box, you will see a folder name (which is where your last downloads were going to), and beside that will be little picture buttons (more on these in a second). In the folder name box, click anywhere on it and it will expand to show various folder names on your hard drive. Scroll almost all the way up and click on the main drive (C:). OK, now click on the third little picture (the folder with a star in it). This button instructs the computer to make a new folder...and one will pop up in the center called "New Folder". You can change the name right away...just type ATARI and hit enter. Now the folder has the right name...but you still need to double-click it to open it up (do that). Right away, you should notice that the atari folder now appears at the top of the dialog. Excellent! Anyway, the filename for the emulator zipfile should already be correct...so just click on the OK button at the bottom of the dialog box. The download will commence, and the dialog boxes will all disappear.

4 unzip emulator into aftformentioned folder

OK...the emulator zipfile is downloaded, but where is it? Well, it should be sitting in the folder C:Atari. You can either use Windows Explorer to see it, but here's a quicker way. Click on the start button in the lower corner of the screen, and scroll the mouse up to "Documents". The Z26 zipfile should be in there...so just move over and click it! Winzip will open up, and when it does, just hit the extract button at the top and click OK :)

5 download games directly into said folder

Click on the download link for the selected game. The game roms you download should already be sent into the folder called "Atari"...since that was where you just downloaded to. If it's incorrect, just click on the folder name box and scroll up (as described above). Then just hit OK.

6 unzip games into said folder with emulator

OK...Rather than go though all the hassle of opening and unzipping each game, Just go here!

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/E...rom_summary.htm

The games are not zipped on that page...so just download away!

7 double click on the .exe of the emulator file

This is the only relatively complex step...since you need to locate the Z26.exe file that was unzipped waaaay up at step 4. Open Windows Explorer, and click on the Atari folder on the LEFT side of the screen. On the right, you will see the files in that folder. Z26.exe should be one of them. You can double-click it to start it up.

**Note: if you want an easier way to get to that emulator next time...RIGHT-click the Z26.exe file and pick "Create Shortcut". Then click and hold the mouse button down and drag that shortcut onto your desktop screen (i.e. the area behind the Explorer window). A little MSDOS Icon that is called "Shortcut to Z26.exe" will be placed on your background screen. So all you will need to do from then on is just double-click it :)

...anyway, let's continue...

at this point emulator should kick in and offer you a list of the games ( the ones you downloaded) that are available

8 pick the game that you want to play and press enter.

9 play game

'nuff said.

Ok, the first Emulator, didn't work , all it said was "2.06 version"

everytime I tried to click on it, so i deleted it and downloaded

the MSDOS version, that worked and it was in a folder

called atari- with it's own space.. As soon as the loading was done

I clicked on the folder with the sparkle and it gave me

a *new folder.* OK.. now all the stuff is in there as well

as a, z26v157x folder :? two folders?

Ok, now I downloaded games and unzipped them and they

went into the Atari folder. 2 had a microsoft BIN file?

And the onther 2 were WinZip ones.

Ok, then I tried to use the Emulator,

all I get was a grey screen that said (no files) :twisted:

What is .EXE ?? the programs in the folder have yet to read

something like that...

How do I got the games into the Emulator?

Still after hours, I keep going in circles. :roll:

What am I'm not getting?! :

OK...let's do this the hard way. Are you running Win98? If so, click on the START button in the lower corner and scroll up to click on MSDOS PROMPT. A black window should open up that says C:WINDOWS

Type this exactly:

cdatari

dir /p

(hit enter after each line)

What goes on the screen? Anything? Does the Z26.EXE file show up?

allright..

we're still working with the Z26 emulator...

dud got the gray screen that said "no files"

I understnad that to belive.. he has the emulator, and its working

un fortunatly his games are not.

and jacob.. the MSDOS prompt is this..press the start button on your desktop display.. I knowm that you know what the start button is.

in win98 its:

start

programs

then scroll down and/or up to MSDOS

it allows you to go into the DOS environment within windows with out having to restart your computer into the DOS environment directly

remember.. windows started out as simply nothing but a stand in front GUI for the Disk Operating System ( DOS.. get it?, oh.. and GUI stands for Graphic User Interface)

thing is.. the Executible file.. AKA the .EXE is the file you need to concern yourself with in this case..

We have allready instructed you to download the Emulator file.. and to make it easy to keep track of it to put it into a folder called atari.

you can put it into a folder called "atari" before or after downloading it..

for refrence.. when I download a new emulator.. I will create a folder named for the emulator at the point of download, when the download window asks me where I want to put it when I'm downloading it.

you can also just as easy just download the file to your desktop.

then right click your mouse onthe desktop, then on the "new"menue, choose "folder" name it atari, if you so desire, cut and paste the Zip file to that folder, then.. un zip. into the folder.

now.. download the rom files into that folder, if you have allready downloaded those files, find them, and move them over to the folder with the emulator program.

with most Rom images ( games ) they will come down in zip files, and you will have to un zip them to use them. the zip file of the game should contain one file and its postfix will be .BIN, thats your rom file.. make sure that unzipped rom file is in the same folder as the emulator..

so.. if we have the emulator Z26 the file name will be z26.exe. if you downloaded the game pacman for atari 2600 its name should be pacman.bin.

when both of these files are inthe same folder..

when you double click z26.exe it should bring up the z26 screen, and if you have the pacman.bin file in the same folder asz26.exe, pacman.bin wil be onthe list where you were previously seeing the "no files" thing

now you should be able to use your mouse, or arrow keys and highlight the pacman .bin file and press enter onthe keyboard and the game will run

I hope this helps

Hi again! I just decided to work some more on this,

Yes ... I got the Emulator working, it's only

the games that haven't showed up,

I got them in a seperate folder named

*Atari* and I got some games downloaded

from The Old Computer . com (nice site!)

Anyway... I'm gonna try the advice sent from

posts that Beer and NUKEY? sent...

;)

Good luck and stuff~ :idea:

So the emulator is working OK but the games don't show up. Hmmm...

It's possible that the filenames have extra extensions on them (which can happen when you download with Internet Explorer). Here's something that you can check...

Open up Windows Explorer. Click VIEW at the top and pick FOLDER OPTIONS at the bottom of the menu that opened up. A gray dialog box will open up. Click the second tab at the top of it (it's also called VIEW). Look near the center at the option called "HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES"...and make sure that the little box next to it is EMPTY (unchecked). Then click OK. The dialog will disappear. On the left side of Windows Explorer, click on your Atari folder. Now look at the right half of the screen. Are the roms named things like PACMAN.BIN? If they are called things like PACMAN.BIN..BIN (see the difference?) rename them by RIGHT-clicking and hitting R (just use the cursor and backspace keys to erase the extra "..BIN" from each file). Then try the emulator again. It should be able to list anything that ends with .bin (dot bin, which is why it might not work if the files end with dot dot bin).