IGNORED

Just Got A 3DO!

So four of the games I ordered came in today and lo and behold, Starblade does not work. The 3DO spits the disc out as soon as it tries to read it. Upon closer inspection, there are no less than seven pinholes and scratches through the silver layer in the disc. Not for nothing, but if you're an ebay seller that deals in pretty old games and you offer old CD games for sale, the least you can do is hold the disc up to a light before you ship it and check if the data is destroyed or not. It was described as "recently tested and works perfectly" in the listing. Liars. I'm not ordering from these guys again. I'm hoping I can work it out with them. I've never left negative feedback on anyone before and I hope I won't have to now. I wrote them at noon today and no reply yet. I'm just ticked because there is no reason for this. If I was a seller, I'd check any disc before I shipped it and if I see any marks, assume it's ruined and refund the buyer or better yet, not list it in the first place. Save the buyer and seller some hassle. Sorry for the rant. I was at the bar watching the world cup match and I'm still a little buzzed :)

So four of the games I ordered came in today and lo and behold, Starblade does not work. The 3DO spits the disc out as soon as it tries to read it. Upon closer inspection, there are no less than seven pinholes and scratches through the silver layer in the disc. Not for nothing, but if you're an ebay seller that deals in pretty old games and you offer old CD games for sale, the least you can do is hold the disc up to a light before you ship it and check if the data is destroyed or not. It was described as "recently tested and works perfectly" in the listing. Liars. I'm not ordering from these guys again. I'm hoping I can work it out with them. I've never left negative feedback on anyone before and I hope I won't have to now. I wrote them at noon today and no reply yet. I'm just ticked because there is no reason for this. If I was a seller, I'd check any disc before I shipped it and if I see any marks, assume it's ruined and refund the buyer or better yet, not list it in the first place. Save the buyer and seller some hassle. Sorry for the rant. I was at the bar watching the world cup match and I'm still a little buzzed :)

Understandable; I'd be pissed (both kinds) too. There's the old warranty of implied merchantability that says that an item for sale, unless otherwise stated, can be expected to work. But if they specifically stated "tested and working", then it's refund time. Hopefully they'll play nice (this time around) and you won't have to leave negative feedback.

Bummer, because that one's pretty good on the 3DO.

Oddly enough, StarBlade is the only 3DO game I've ever gotten with a damaged foil layer. However, my copy would at least play, and I was actually able to finish the whole game. It'd occasionally choke in certain spots, but I could work around those by pausing it for a moment. (I've since replaced it with a clean copy.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damnit. Damnit. Damnit.

I want one of these now. :P

I'm pretty short of shelf space, though. Would probably go after the original F-1 model as at least I'd be able to stack another console on top of it. Anything to look out for w/ this model in particular when hunting for one?

I got one at my local game shop with two controllers (japanese stock controller + Interact 6 button) for $79.99. I also got a complete Road Rash for $6 and a loose Total Eclipse for $2.

As long as the system is reading games properly and the motorized tray is ejecting smoothly, I can't think of anything else to look out for.

I burned about 70 cd-r's overy the last few days and have had a blast trying out all of the different games including imports. That alone makes it a worthy purchase!

I've found that Taiyo Yuden discs work perfectly with just about everything, ranging from old CD players to the Sega CD and 3DO. My first FZ-1 was very picky about the brand of burned discs, and though it was more forgiving after it warmed up for 20-30 minutes, it still seemed to work hard on Memorex-quality discs, whereas it generally played Taiyo Yudens with no problems at all.

My new FZ-1 will play anything I throw at it, and my brother's GoldStar is surprisingly tolerant.

Just got a FZ-1 in the post today. Diggin' it, but was wondering if, playing on a 27' CRT, its worth upgrading to S-video over standard composite? Would there be that much of a noticeable increase in quality?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

YES

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but still absolutely loving my 3DO!

Hopefully others will find this thread and share, but I've been getting back into the system once again with some new games I picked up fairly recently. I got Star Control 2, Space Hulk, and the Need for Speed for pretty cheap, locally.

Can't say enough about Need for Speed. Makes the Saturn version look/play like a piece of junk. It's funny, I always hated the Saturn and PS1 game, but I love this version probably more than NFS 2SE on the PC, which is my favorite NFS game. It doesn't play like 2, but that's a good thing. It actually feels like a real racing sim (well, compared to 2 and the Sat/PS port of 1).

Star Control 2 is interesting. I've only played a little bit, but I think I'll like it. The gameplay is fun, and the presentation so far is top notch.

I'd like to get a 3DO... even though I'm far from convinced that it has many games I actually want to play much, I want one anyway. Collecting consoles is addictive! And there are a few 3DO games I do really want to play, most notably the 3DO version of Star Fighter. The AD&D games and Blade Force also look interesting, among others. I have some stuff for the 3DO (a few games, a controller...), but no system yet...

Novastorm - Average on-rails shooter. Probably the best version available, but personally I don't think that's saying much. A lot of Psygnosis' games from this time period were style over substance, and this game isn't any different.

I'd say the best version of Novastorm is the PS1 version -- it's two discs long on PS1, as opposed to one disc on all other platforms, and they use the space to increase the graphical quality and window view size. It's the same basic not-so-good game, but you DO have a larger play window on the PS1.

I'd like to get a 3DO... even though I'm far from convinced that it has many games I actually want to play much, I want one anyway. Collecting consoles is addictive! And there are a few 3DO games I do really want to play, most notably the 3DO version of Star Fighter. The AD&D games and Blade Force also look interesting, among others. I have some stuff for the 3DO (a few games, a controller...), but no system yet...

I'd say the best version of Novastorm is the PS1 version -- it's two discs long on PS1, as opposed to one disc on all other platforms, and they use the space to increase the graphical quality and window view size. It's the same basic not-so-good game, but you DO have a larger play window on the PS1.

There's something about the 3DO that you just won't understand till you play it. Gameplay footage on Youtube.... just doesn't cut it for some reason. It's a GREAT sounding system, first off. In fact, most of the games feel more amazing than they are purely because of the astounding sound coming out of this machine. I just love it, and I can't think of any console that "sounds" like this. Hard to describe...

Also, there's a certain fluidity when it comes to many games. Particularly Star Fighter. If you've ever played the Saturn version, it's honestly a heap of crap compared to the 3DO one. Games on the 3DO in general just feel smooth. NFS is also like that, for me. I donno, I used to be such a huge fan of the Saturn. I played all the 3DO "ports", and figured the 3DO was just a piece of junk as their ports never felt quality to me. But the originals (speaking of Star Fighter here) feel like a generation ahead. And considering it's on older hardware, that really makes me scratch my head.

I'll be honest, I bought the system just because it was an interest. It was there for sale, I had nothing else to buy, and I saw a couple games I wanted like Road Rash, and figured... what the hell.

A slight "interest" has turned into near obsession. I'm not saying the system is the best of all time. The game library is full of duds. But it's also full of great games that I'm embarrassed to say I've missed till my current age of 29. If you're smart, and don't buy a lot of the crap on the system, the console will reward you with a metric ton of gameplay. Even games like Gex just feel better.

I donno, hard to explain. When I play the 3DO, I feel like I'm playing an expensive console that just is leagues better in several ways to it's contemporaries of the same generation. It's a system that will surprise you, and for me, that's more than I ever expected from this little grey box.

You can find deals on eBay if you're patient. Like I recently posted, I just got a Japanese 3DO for 42 bucks plus 5 shipping. That's just a no brainer, right there. Avoid giving in to buy it nows if you can, unless the price is uber cheap. Oh, and there ARE FMV games that are good on the system. Something I can't honestly say about any other home console.

I've taken some risks on games and been pleasantly surprised. If I were to recommend a starting point, I'd recommend Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It was my first game I put into the 3DO, and it quickly changed my opinion of the system almost immediately. Samurai Shodown is also nearly as impressive.

Enjoy, and let us know if/when you get one!

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I once thought this, and then I actually tried completing the PS1 version. Yeah, good luck with that. The game is so poorly designed (like Microcosm), that it's damn-near impossible. The 3DO version is a more balanced experience, if not as shiny and "in your face".

I once thought this, and then I actually tried completing the PS1 version. Yeah, good luck with that. The game is so poorly designed (like Microcosm), that it's damn-near impossible. The 3DO version is a more balanced experience, if not as shiny and "in your face".

...considering your video game skills, I can't imagine how hard this game must be if YOU think it's near impossible :D !!!

Huh, so it's easier on 3DO than PS1? Why? What did they change? Because graphically it's no contest, the game looks far better on PS1. I also like the 'longbox' case, I much prefer those to standard jewelcases... Edited by A Black Falcon