IGNORED

What are the NES classic arcade ports?

I'm finding that -- for the most part -- the NES has some really great ports from the arcade machines of the early to mid-80s (and more ports than I thought there were). Of course, there are a few cases where they took a few too many liberties (like Gyruss). But there are other ones that are spot-on (like Donkey Kong Jr, Galaga, Popeye, and Star Force).

Popeye on NES is a nice game, but it's definitely not spot-on compared to the arcade version. I'm thinking of the falling skulls when I say this... :)

@retroillucid it's worth tracking down both Ms Pacman versions if you're a fan. The Tengen version is slightly more common but also more desirable gameplay wise. Good news is both versions are still roughly the same price as they were ten years ago. Be wary of purchasing the game site unseen or on sites/resellers that use a stock photo. Unlike Tetris, many resellers aren't even aware that there's two separate versions so the screenshot or stock photo may not match the version of the game you get. When in doubt, ask the seller whether it's the gray or black cart version.

On the topic of VS arcade games, many early NES games were simultaneously developed for both the arcade and home releases. The Nintendo VS Unisystem housed modified NES hardware in an arcade cabinet. Many titles have already been hacked to work natively on real NES hardware. In Duck Hunt, you can alternate between Ducks and Clay Shooting. There is even a bonus round in which you can shoot the dog! In certain difficulty modes some rounds have you shooting 3 ducks/clay pigeons instead of two! It really helps differentiate the men from the boys. Super Mario Brothers VS has altered levels. Some were even recycled in SMB2j aka Lost Levels. For most games there are graphical and gameplay enhancements as well as increased difficulty in some titles. Worth checking out.

Dig Dug and Galaxian never came out on the American NES, they are famicom only.

That is true only on official Nes releases.

Dig Dug and Galaxian became Nes game later on in North American based people putting Famicom games into Nes game cartridge. I am saying that because I seen both games on Nes reproduction sites before.

Edited by 8th lutz

If you're willing to count games on the original Atari Flashback, then you can add the arcade ports among those games to the list. Granted, they're more "ports of ports" and for the most part they're not all that great, but they are in fact compatible with the NES. Asteroids, Centipede and Food Fight in particular are arguably more NES-ish, since they were intended to look like Atari 7800 games.

That is true only on official Nes releases.

Dig Dug and Galaxian became Nes game later on in North American based people putting Famicom games into Nes game cartridge. I am saying that because I seen both games on Nes reproduction sites before.

Yes, and even when you include international shipping and potential import duties, it is still far cheaper to import the original Famicom titles than hire someone to produce a repro. Most of those early Famicom games are dirt cheap and many have English menus.

Stop being a pirate and play the real thing. :ahoy:

• Like 1

Kung Fu ('84/'85 in arcades, aka Kung Fu Master)

Karate Champ ('84 in arcades)

Twin Cobra ('87 in arcades)

Twin Eagle ('88 in arcades)

It's a year out of the range, but Castle of Dragon ('89 in arcades) was ported to the NES.

Also, if Rygar is going to be listed, you may as well add Ninja Gaiden as well. Like Rygar, it was a brand-new game on the NES. Arcade version came out in '88.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up Tapper for VCS a while back. That's really a fun game. I wasn't aware of this port. Was it released for NES or is it Famicom only?

EDIT: According to the Wikipedia article, there is no mention of Tapper being ported to any Nintendo system:

• "Arcade, Atari 2600, Atari 8-bit, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro, PC, Mobile phone, Xbox 360 (XBLA), iOS"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapper

Edited by stardust4ever

• 5 years later...