IGNORED

My New 2600 Donkey Kong Conceptual Gfx Now 4 Boards N bin!

Godzilla

I guess I don't see how it's inspiring to show something that's impossible (or extremely impractical) for the 2600 to do. Seems far more inspiring to show something the 2600 could do, if only a programmer would sit down and implement it.

And the "concept" is already there in screenshots of the original games.

ZylonBane comes from a distant universe where imagination does not exist. To compensate for that, he corrects everything everybody says, no matter what. :P

Those are actually pretty interesting, godzilla. I wonder just how close we could really get to those shots.

If only we all had more time... :ponder:

For fun, I blast Zylons. But not Zycroids, because they are pathetic and weak.

I also enjoy crushing disinformation before it gets a chance to spread. Disinformation, it seems, is more appealing than the truth and thus spreads much more quickly.

I am also a lumberjack, and I'm okay. I sleep all night and I work all day.

Aw don't get all pissy. Godzilla's at least partially right. Though the screen shots he has would have to be cut to fit, and I imagine all the sprites except Mario and (possibly) Donkey Kong would have to be monichrome, I see a four map DK looking something like that as possible.

Actually, I'd still see the gerders as still being one color, rather than two colors.

And I keep hearing people saying Donkeykong can't be hacked...Well, the Pac-Man Arcade game wasn't a hack of Pac-Man either, but it's still considered a hack, because it has an original game as a basis, rather than being a complete reprograming.

If someone were to program a new version' date=' I'd personally like to see the levels' date=' sound, and gameplay more faithfully represented, then worry about the other two screens. Would the other two really come off all that well anyways?[/quote'']

I agree - The 3rd level would prob look like junk - The pie factory would prob look like the alpo factory :D

"Alpo Factory"--Now there's a game--something to do with elderly people that can only afford alpo!?

After a few hours of photoshop, i came up with the following:

(snip/snip)

Just for fun, I took the original Donkey Kong image you linked, and converted it to an Interleaved ChronoColour Full Screen Bitmap (this took about 1 minute, as my tool-suite is exquisite).

Anwyay, here's the *unretouched* result. A bit of hand-tweaking (fixing ladders, etc)... would actually make this quite a reasonable looking playing board, I think.

ccdkong.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you it's impossible to have a good-looking playfield/board on the '2600. Actual runnable binary attached, just to prove the point.

Cheers

A

ccdonkeykong.zip

wow thats awesome, adavie!.

On another note, It's nice to see that so many people actually do understand the spirit of these images.

It seems you used both pictures tho, as you have pieces of both ladder configurations. Try using the later screens where I posted all four different levels. That would be great to see as a 2600 slide show on one cart ;-)

I took the original Donkey Kong image you linked, and converted it to an Interleaved ChronoColour Full Screen Bitmap (this took about 1 minute, as my tool-suite is exquisite).

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between "Interleaved ChronoColour " and its original name, "ColorView"? Other than the ever-present and ironic trademark symbol?

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between "Interleaved ChronoColour ™" and its original name, "ColorView"? Other than the ever-present and ironic trademark symbol?

If he would have called it ColourView, you wouldn't have had anything to complain about. :P :roll:

That's exactly what I'm aalking about. People dismiss something because "tech specs" won't allow it. Well, sorry, but there's a lot of stuff on pretty much any system that had to bend the rules of that system to exist.

Remember GameBoy Color? Technical specs say that it can show 52 colors on screen at once, but people found a way (doing a simular technique to that interlived process) and push it's ability to show on screen colors up past 2000.

How about sprite limitations on, well, every system out? People find a way around those (useually through dithering, or making several sprites part of one big one)

Untill a few years ago, FMV couldn't be done on carts, and many people still say that, even though it's been proven wrong several times now.

So befor people come in here on their high horse saying "this can't be done because...Blah blah blah" They need to tak into consideration that people can find a way around those problems.

So befor people come in here on their high horse saying "this can't be done because...Blah blah blah"  They need to tak into consideration that people can find a way around those problems.

No, it really can't be done.

Here's a couple more attempts. First is a cleaned-up version of the earlier one (piccy here), and also included is a sideways version, which shows that rotating the screen really isn't viable.

Cheers

A

dk2.jpg

ccdonkeykong2.zip