IGNORED

Anyone interested in working with me on some 5200 stuff?

Mock

I have been working on getting the 5200 joystick problem solved and I'd like to come up with something that works well, is not $80, looks good, and everyone that wants one could get.

I still think the PSX controller is the best option, and I've been fooling around with that for a week or so now...no luck...so I figured I would see if some others might want to work on a project we could all use.

No money mongers, kinda like a open source project type thing where we all share info as needed to get it done.

Here is what I can offer:

(1) web space as needed - bandwidth is no problem - I own an ISP.

(2) I have a toll free # and would foot the bill for the 3 way calling if needed.

(3) materials

(4) forums if needed to work on project...I can set up a private forum in one of my existing websites if needed. UBBthreads or UBBclassic.

(5) I have connections where I could get circuit boards made and/or any plastic box/housing for the project.

That's about all I can think of...any takers? My biggest problem is time right now...but that's probably everyone's biggest problem.

Mock :?

I dunno...that's why I started the thread...wanted to talk about all this stuff and see what the best option is. I really like the PSX controllers, is there a PC version or a joystick that has the self centering analog and a digital option that's cheap? If so I guess that would be an option also?

:?

There just seems to be nothing that is around that works well and is a simple no-brainer option to the stock 5200 sticks.

Mock

I dunno...that's why I started the thread...wanted to talk about all this stuff and see what the best option is. I really like the PSX controllers, is there a PC version or a joystick that has the self centering analog and a digital option that's cheap? If so I guess that would be an option also?

:?  

There just seems to be nothing that is around that works well and is a simple no-brainer option to the stock 5200 sticks.

Mock

The Arcade Pro/Competition Pro is great for playing a lot of games in that it has a tighter feel to it. The Wicos are supposeldy a good option, but I'm not a huge fan of them. The Masterplay interface (which can be built if you have techincal knowhow) allows you to use 2600 joysticks and the Trakball is unequalled for games like Centipede.

There are also a few other controller alternatives out there that I'm forgetting about.

I've actually been using my 5200 restrictor (the test one that I made), and it works pretty well. The only drawback is you have to remove the rubber cover that is between the stick and the controller housing. (I've noticed on many sticks at this point where the rubber was ripped anyway...) I've made mine out of the plastic from a dead 2600 cart.

How it works, is that it fits inside the round space left by the rubber boot once you remove it. I've noticed that there are holes for tabs around the edge, so that could be the means for holding it in...

I've included the Publisher Documentation to get a visualization.

5200_restrictors.zip

I'm kinda fond of my approach:

1. Build a genesis adapter (masterplay) using the 4052 circuit

2. Build an adapter to make the psx dual-shock controller act as a genesis controller.

The benefits are you can easily implement dual joystick action with the two analog pads, can use the psx for other systems, and is low cost. It's kinda weird to convert an analog signal to 8-way digital and then back to analog but most 5200 games only use 8 directions anyway.

www94.pair.com/jsoper discusses some of this for those who haven't seen it.

John