IGNORED

The Music/SFX problem will soon be history!

retroillucid

we will soon have a simple solution for Colecovision music/sfx

Check this out!!!

For infos will be posted by the author very soon

Meanwhile, enjoy!! :)

Songs are started with the joystick or fire button, sound effects with the number keys. There is a feedback line at the top to demonstrate you can keep track of the music, too. High priority sound effects will interrupt low priority sound effects, but not the other way around (they are pretty short, so it’s hard to hear this ;) ). They also properly restore the playing music when they end.

playerdemo.zip

• Like 4

Newcoleco put out a program called, cvnotes.exe. It has rows of button with the musical notes. It has box that provide the bytes for that note. I really need to try and find that thread on this program. This is what I use to sequence music and sound effects.

Found it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/139854-cv-notes-tool-to-somehow-help-coding-notes/

Edited by Kiwi

we will soon have a simple solution for Colecovision music/sfx

Check this out!!!

For infos will be posted by the author very soon

Meanwhile, enjoy!! :)

Songs are started with the joystick or fire button, sound effects with the number keys. There is a feedback line at the top to demonstrate you can keep track of the music, too. High priority sound effects will interrupt low priority sound effects, but not the other way around (they are pretty short, so it’s hard to hear this ;) ). They also properly restore the playing music when they end.

More infos here :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226125-vgm-compression-tool/?do=findComment&comment=3004056

Thanks, I've been using that. It's a great help.

Still it would be ideal to have a visual composer like video tunes. Which I actually tried using but it doesn't support for full range of available notes that are really available and I would need to figure out a way to out put to a usuable code.

Newcoleco put out a program called, cvnotes.exe. It has rows of button with the musical notes. It has box that provide the bytes for that note. I really need to try and find that thread on this program. This is what I use to sequence music and sound effects.

Found it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/139854-cv-notes-tool-to-somehow-help-coding-notes/

Thanks for this, I have grabbed the C source for the player and am converting it across to ASM, as this is what I am stuck on with my current projects as well. I just don't have the time to hand write sound and music for each game. And the BIOS sound routines do not work very well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I've been using that. It's a great help.

Still it would be ideal to have a visual composer like video tunes. Which I actually tried using but it doesn't support for full range of available notes that are really available and I would need to figure out a way to out put to a usuable code.

I didn't know about this thread. Here is a rather nice tracker for the Master system that can export VGMs which will work with my toolchain: http://www.smspower.org/Music/Mod2PSG2

(and a sample video showing it running)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I really like Mod2PSG2. I'm wondering about exporting in Coleco BIOS format. There are two basic choices: either convert the VGM to Coleco format or add an exporter. Is there a document somewhere that says what the VGM encoding means?

I really like Mod2PSG2. I'm wondering about exporting in Coleco BIOS format. There are two basic choices: either convert the VGM to Coleco format or add an exporter. Is there a document somewhere that says what the VGM encoding means?

an export to coleco bios format that would a great option.

Edited by digress

the sound from your routines is awesome!. I tried for over a month though but I couldn't get it to play correctly inside my game though. Soon as I started to have user input.

I hope to give it (your routines) another try on the next project. It may have been something in my code I can't easily track down.

Glad I could help. ;) If you don't want to use my playback routines, then you can find the VGM format here: http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMFileFormat?from=Development.VGMFormat

Edited by digress

More than likely.. it doesn't touch any hardware except for the sound chip. Did you maybe run out of RAM/stack? It's main weakness is the amount of CPU RAM it uses (120 bytes for music only or 220 for music and sound effects). You should be able to tell by examining the map file.

Sorry I have not finished making an assembly version of the player code, but I have been unwell for 2-3 weeks (and am still unwell).

Also has delayed all of the games I am working on at the moment, they are all making progress though.

I will be optimising it for speed and Ram as much as possible, so hopefully it should perform better than the C version of the player.

• Like 1