IGNORED

What should I get next?

SSG

So its been a few years since I actually have bought a console or a computer. I allready have a C64, Apple 2+, and a Commodore Plus 4. P.S. the Commodore Plus 4 still needs a TED chip. What should i get next? I hear i should get a Commodore 128, but I have no idea what to get, I am open to all ideas?

I am a Very Long Time Apple ][, Commodore and Sinclair user.. Recently I acquired a Radio-Shack Color Computer 3 ( CoCo 3 ). If you don't try for the Atari, I would try the CoCo.

Being that the Apple ][ and Commodore use the MOS 65xx CPU, and the Sinclair uses the ZX80 CPU, the CoCo appealed to me because of the Motorola 6809 / Hitachi 6309 CPU.. More Assembler to learn!!!!

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
  • Like 1

commodore Amiga

Would have said the same thing, but seems the OP might be more into 8-bit stuff. I can put together a really nice Amiga 500 package(like new in the box, hard drive, etc) if anyone domestic is interested. Been debating whether or not to list it in the Marketplace or go straight to ePay, where I know it'll sell much quicker and probably for much more.

It depends on what you want to do.
The Atari 8 bit, Coco 3, Amiga, TI-99/4A, VIC-20, Coleco ADAM and MSX are all interesting.
The Atari and Amiga have the biggest game libraries.

There are plenty of Multicart, CF and SD options for the Atari.

The quality of AMIGA games is the best but that should be expected.
They come with built in drives so no worries about CF or SD interfaces.

The CoCo doesn't have a lot of carts but I believe it has a bigger game library than the TI.
It has the best BASIC of the 8 bits IMHO.
If you like to play with assembly, it's your best option for the 6809.
There have been several IDE, CF or SD interfaces.

The VIC has quite a bit of stuff but I've never been much of a fan of it so I can't tell you much about it.
I guess think Plus/4 with barely any RAM, a slower clock speed and a 20 column screen.
It has more carts than the CoCo or TI.

Any SD drive that works with the C64 and Plus/4 should also work with it.
Also has several multi-cart options.

The ADAM supports Colecovision games and it's own library so it's actually pretty cool but they are pretty pricey for a decent one on ebay.
There are some decent ADAM only games and it's a decent choice if you want to play with the Z80.
It has a pretty good IDE interface and it can be bought with a CF adapter and CF card loaded with stuff.
There are also plenty of multi-cart type options for the Colecovision side.

The TI has some unique games. It's the only 9900 based machine if you like assembly.
I have one but I don't mess with it much. It has a CF interface that is occasionally available.

MSX has a good sized game library. I'd go for at least an MSX2 machine out of Japan if I went this route.
The machine and carts are kinda pricey but there is a decent SD interface for it.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 2

To most part I agree with JamesD, except of course that the VIC-20 is more fun than how he describes it. On the plus side, a lot of your C64 peripherals will work with the VIC. On the minus side, it doesn't offer quite as much variation as an Atari 8-bit, a CoCo, a TI-99/4, a MSX computer, an imported ZX Spectrum etc would bring.

Are you looking for something relatively common that will expand your experience, or also looking for more obscure systems that would impress even the moderate home computer collector? How much hassle do you want in finding software, peripherals, documentation, other active users?

To most part I agree with JamesD, except of course that the VIC-20 is more fun than how he describes it. On the plus side, a lot of your C64 peripherals will work with the VIC. On the minus side, it doesn't offer quite as much variation as an Atari 8-bit, a CoCo, a TI-99/4, a MSX computer, an imported ZX Spectrum etc would bring.

Are you looking for something relatively common that will expand your experience, or also looking for more obscure systems that would impress even the moderate home computer collector? How much hassle do you want in finding software, peripherals, documentation, other active users?

I am just looking for something else to screw around with, I can hardly find media for my Apple 2.

Edited by SonicSageGamer

You have lots of choices, The Atari, Tandy Color Computer, TI-99. I'd also suggest the Atari ST. They might be a bit of a pain getting a display setup (Unless you just go with the Atari monitor right off the bat). Once you get a usable setup the ST line is super simple to use and get into. Getting software from PC to the ST is super easy with floppy disks being compatible and the image writing software is out there too. With the Climatics archive there is a seemly unending supply of games to play. :)

If you like Apple the IIgs is a neat computer, but there aren't many games for the thing. With the RGB monitor it makes a really neat Apple II also.

problem with the IIGS is right out of the box it needs an accelerator card to do anything expected from any other 16 bit computer, and while that option was wildly popular the cards themselves fetch a small fortune

while the GS is a fun machine it was designed to be released about the same time as the mac, someone poo pooed on it (sir Jesus Jobs) in favor of the mac and by the time it was released under new management, mainly as a quick fix to shut apple II users up, it was anemic in power.

Also how much are you looking to spend? Most of the systems mentioned should be at roughly the same prices, but of course some difference in availability, in particular if you prefer something local to avoid long distance freight. While I personally had extremely little, near zero experience of the CoCo line, perhaps that is the one that would give you most variation for your money compared to what you've already got. The Atari 8-bits should be relatively easy to obtain - in particular from a forum like AtariAge - but I realize a lot of the software library is quite comparable with the C64 library. Other systems as the CoCo, TI, VIC, even ZX if you like appear to be more different regarding visuals and software library than the C64 and Apple ][ which should be your points of comparison.

Of course the 16-bits like the Amiga and Atari ST also should be considered. In the case of Amiga 500, unfortunately many built in floppy drives tend to be worn out from heavy use and may need replacing somehow. There are other interfaces for transferring software too. I believe the ST fares better in that respect, despite they use the same floppy drive mechanism but the ST reads one sector at a time while the Amiga always reads a full track and divides it into virtual sectors or something like that.

As for obtaining media for the Apple ][, did you try or have any luck with ADTPro? As I recently observed, even with the audio interface you should be able to transfer a floppy disk image in 20 minutes. It sounds painful but once you got them on disk, you're set to go.

Thought of another from right field idea. The Tandy 1000, especially the later models that had several enhancements over the original PCJr clones. I think the mid 80s to very early 90s era of PC gaming to be pretty interesting and the Tandy 1000 sound/graphics capabilities were added into many popular titles. The downside is from my random eBay/CL searches over the past few years is that Tandy 1000 stuff can get awfully pricey and a bit tougher to find. Whereas pretty much every other 8 and 16-bit suggestion seems much easier to pickup.

I am just looking for something else to screw around with, I can hardly find media for my Apple 2.

Then i would sugest to look around to see what is easily available where you live. For instance i live in the Netherlands where it is pretty easy to find MSX stuff, but cpc464 or atari 800 or ti99 is pretty uncommon.

Maybe that can help you to make a desision.

• 1 month later...

An Atari 130XE (unless you can obtain or build an Incognito 800) with a good set of Wico sticks, connected to a chroma/luma separated monitor with a good monitor cable and a modern SIO/USB/APE type of device that will give you immediate access to thousands of high speed colorful games and apps. Atari BASIC is fun to play with - built in graphics and sound keywords and *instant syntax checking* on every inputted line.

The 130XE is slightly cheap and clacky (Tramiel era) but they tend to run forever, have a great MMU (RAM disks, etc.) and great chroma/luma video output. 800XL's look feel more luxurious but most (all?) have a noticeably fuzzier composite video output unless modded. The original 800 is like nothing else (if it's in pristine shape) but you'll be limited to 48K titles which actually isn't too horrible, most of the classics all run perfectly on an 800 and its keyboard is one of the best ever fitted to any computer.

Good luck.

Why not go with the C64 biggest rival back in the 80's, a ZX Spectrum

Granted you may have to import one from the UK as they weren't big in the states and you will also need to get PAL to NTSC converter and a device to up the voltage to our 240 but overall it could be worth your time. Not forgetting thousands of PAL games cheap on tape are available all over the net, you can also get a Divide interface which has built in Kempston Interface (allows connection of standard 9 pin Atari joysticks) and has an SD card which you can run all the games from once downloaded, you can get them from Lotharek site.

I would go with a 128k +2A or the original 128k Toast Rack model as the extra ram is used in quite a few games and certain multiload games load up in one go so no extra loading required.

When I first read the opening post, my first thought was the VIC-20. Lots of small, single screen Atari 2600 type games and a very active homebrew community; even if you're not smart enough to create your own games, you can still have a lot of fun with VIC BASIC and type-in programs. I like to think of the VIC as a quiet weekend in the countryside while the C64 is more like tourist season in a big city.