IGNORED

Am I alone in thinking the red label games are completely unappealing?

sloth-machine

Atari always had amazing graphic design from Nolan's ownership all through the Tramiels. The 2600's (VCS) early boxes and arcade cab art are timeless and right up there with all the great classic rock album covers. Atari choose a slick rainbow color coded box frame mixed with amazing art, establishing firm brand recognition.

They kept the tradition alive in the 80s updating their aging platform with a modern and subtle silver label with red text and a rainbow band. Plus the new name (2600), making the console seem fresh again.

Now what the hell happened in the late 80s? I know Atari went through hell and the console was dead and on it's last legs but the brick red w/ white text just made the 2600 seem like it should be categorized next to encyclopedia software. It was ugly and dated. And this isn't me looking back, I had these same thoughts as a kid, "Jeez, that maroon looks awful."

Interesting comparison to encyclopedias. :lol:

Not terribly fond of the color scheme myself, but what really irked me was the slightly thicker cartridge dimension that made for too snug a fit. Am really bothered by the holes toward the edge connector that the labels end up sinking into as well. Oh and the deletion of the dust cover. Yeah, those later styled carts suck all right. lol

I thought it was a sign that they were giving up.

Atari Suit: "For the few of you nerds who haven't moved on to the NES, here are some ugly maroon boxes and cart labels with some shitty B&W manuals. We're getting ready to dump this little cheap-ass wedge-shaped Atari 2600, so we're not going to waste any more time, money, or energy on this crap. We're working on a new console that will change the world and put the NES to shame. We're not sure what we're going to call it, but we've decided that it will have a cat name. Here are the top 5 names that we have so far: Atari Calico, Atari Tabby, Atari Tomcat, Atari Cheetah, Atari Angora. This new cat console will ensure that Atari will be the top game company for decades to come. Eat our dust, Nintendo!"

• Like 2

They kept the tradition alive in the 80s updating their aging platform with a modern and subtle silver label with red text and a rainbow band. Plus the new name (2600), making the console seem fresh again.

---The silver label looked fresh in 1982 but not in 1987.... -Mister-VCS

Now what the hell happened in the late 80s? I know Atari went through hell and the console was dead and on it's last legs but the brick red w/ white text just made the 2600 seem like it should be categorized next to encyclopedia software. It was ugly and dated. And this isn't me looking back, I had these same thoughts as a kid, "Jeez, that maroon looks awful."

I like the maroon look in combination with the color picture labels like Fatal Run or Desert Falcon.

The 2600 was produced between 1977 and 1991 and the label design shows the different steps in the console-evolution:

text lables, picture lables, silver labels, maroon labels -Mister-VCS

I completely agree with you. By 1986 I had shelved my 2600 in favor of my C64, so I never saw those red boxes when they originally came out. When I got interested in the Atari again and started collecting about three years ago, the first red box game I aquired was Solaris, after being blown away by those amazing graphics on YouTube. I remember how disappointed I was when the game came in the mail - not by the game itself but by the ugly, cheap-feeling box and that flimsy, folded black-and-white manual. I couldn't believe Atari would do this to such a good game. I now try to avoid the red boxes whenever I can; if I can get the same game in a silver or in a Coleco box I always go for those.

• Like 1

I like the idea of having the red carts in my collection, but I only collect the red carts for late release games. I currently own three red label carts: Pacman Jr, Midnight Magic, and Solaris. Midnight Magic is unique in that it has a dual spring-loaded dust cover that doesn't need tabs to operate.

The red labels just made 2600 games look more updated i think. Have a complete PAL red label collection myself too :-) btw high voltage, wheres your red label vanguard??!! Haha :-P

Got silver box Vanguard, I was just interested in original red box releases. Some sneaked in like Gravitar (where the silver box is almost unobtainable), Soccer (different title on silver box), Defender II (different title on silver box).

But I was thinking getting some red box re-releases, so far I got Mario Bros and Joust.

Edited by high voltage