IGNORED

2014 Classic Game Fest August 16, 17 in Austin, TX

SpiceWare

I'm hoping it eventually grows to be comparable to CGE or PRGE. I expect it to take a few more years, but in the mean time am willing to drive over from Houston for at least Saturday to help give it a chance to grow.

Mr Kaelin (Game Over Videogames) has made no bones about having this event be the premiere show for classic gaming in a few years. He took constructive criticism from last years event and really has made some improvements, and I'm sure he will be open for more suggestions after this years show.

Texas has been needing an event like this........we havent really had anything worthwhile since Alberts show! (2002?...all I remember it was many years ago!)

Edited by BadHornet

Mr Kaelin (Game Over Videogames) has made no bones about having this event be the premiere show for classic gaming in a few years. He took constructive criticism from last years event and really has made some improvements, and I'm sure he will be open for more suggestions after this years show.

Texas has been needing an event like this........we havent really had anything worthwhile since Alberts show! (2002?...all I remember it was many years ago!)

Was that the event at the Red Lion? I bought my Jack*Bot machine at that show.

• 2 weeks later...

Albert, most of your 2600s are AV-modded! :o

What new homebrew games will be playable at the event? EDIT: Nevermind; just saw the pics! :lust:

Either way, it looks like I won't be able to make it as time has gotten away from me. :_(

Somebody take lots of pics (and vids) for me, pretty please... :cool:

Edited by stardust4ever

Well, I just got back home from this. Ran into a couple of AA members, saw Albert (you looked busy), and gave a poor showing in the Medieval Mayhem tournament. Finally got to try some of the newer homebrews at the AA station, and damn did they look nice on those modded consoles and Commodore displays. Elsewhere on the show floor, the 8-iMac LAN running Duke Nukem 3D was a neat addition.

I'll probably head back tomorrow to see all the bands. Gimmick starts early!

Well, I just got back home from this. Ran into a couple of AA members, saw Albert (you looked busy), and gave a poor showing in the Medieval Mayhem tournament. Finally got to try some of the newer homebrews at the AA station, and damn did they look nice on those modded consoles and Commodore displays. Elsewhere on the show floor, the 8-iMac LAN running Duke Nukem 3D was a neat addition.

I'll probably head back tomorrow to see all the bands. Gimmick starts early!

Lucky dawg, you live in Austin!!! I wanted to go, but alas it's slightly too far, despite being a strait shoot down US 79 from Greenwood, La (I live in Shreveport, northwest La). My fiance couldn't come and I didn't want to make the long drive by myself (safety in numbers), so I stayed home. Ended up spending the evening cleaning my room. Maybe next year? :P

Before I forget, somebody post some pics, dangit!

Oh, and Albert and all involved, good luck on day too! ;)

Edited by stardust4ever

The first day was great.

I was surprised and a little overwhelmed when people came flooding in when the doors opened. In retrospect, it makes sense that people would want to get in early to hunt for bargains, but being new at this, I expected most of the crowd would come after lunch.

I got to chat with Al briefly today (and yesterday during setup), and it was great to get a chance to meet him in person.

The AtariAge booth was awesome! My wife and I both would have liked to have participated in the tournament, but it was just too hectic at the booth.

We sold a bunch of 2600 games (loose commons and a few boxed rare ones), but the best part was seeing people's faces light up as they saw old games that they hadn't seen since they were kids, and all of the people enjoying playing Vectrex, Intellivision, and Atari games at the High Score booth. Kids absolutely loved the Vectrex, which was another surprise!

My wife and I are exhausted, but I'm still looking forward to being back there tomorrow. It's been a fantastic experience so far.

photo33_zps5813922c.jpg

photo34_zpsc89b3c6e.jpg

photo38_zps0ea39f23.jpg

• Like 7