IGNORED

Dark Chambers - Good or Upgrade?

retrogoober

Just got a copy of Dark Chambers, and realizing quickly how simple a 'Gauntlet' game it is, although it actually precedes Gauntlet, being based on a game called 'Dandy' I believe.

Its fun but grows old fast, but was thinking, could/should it be upgraded by a homebrewer to include job classes, power ups, and theme levels

Thoughts?

Yeah, nice box art that helps add atmosphere to the game. Even managed to get a boxed copy with no annoying yellow "Atari Advantage" star on it the other day so you get to see the whole picture.

Unfortunately for me, I play this game a lot as my 6 year old loves it and always wants to play two player with me :sleep:

It's sweet though and I've probably taught him a lot about not being selfish by playing this with him as I have to explain that we share the food and weapons found so we have equal health/power.

I've told him that we are not playing it again until we print the map of the last few levels out as we have made it to the last level a couple of times but died.

It could do with a few improvements to make it more exciting and also a proper 'ending' (as I hear it just loops).

I've told him that we are not playing it again until we print the map of the last few levels out as we have made it to the last level a couple of times but died.

Back in the day, I enjoyed this game so much I played it a lot but, like you, got frustrated at the later levels. So, I did a quick-and-dirty walkthrough on loose leaf paper. Went digging through my archives, and here it is:

DarkChambersWalkthru.pdf

On each level the DOT represents the starting point, and the BOX is the exit. Hope it helps you and your son finish the game.

Back in the day, I enjoyed this game so much I played it a lot but, like you, got frustrated at the later levels. So, I did a quick-and-dirty walkthrough on loose leaf paper. Went digging through my archives, and here it is:

attachicon.gifDarkChambersWalkthru.pdf

On each level the DOT represents the starting point, and the BOX is the exit. Hope it helps you and your son finish the game.

That's cool, thanks !

I'll have to print this and give it a try. It's great that you still have it !

I'll have to print this and give it a try. It's great that you still have it !

Thanks for the response. If you think of it, let me know how it works out for you and your son.

It's also cool to see it has been downloaded by others. Hope everyone finds it useful!

Thanks for the response. If you think of it, let me know how it works out for you and your son.

It's also cool to see it has been downloaded by others. Hope everyone finds it useful!

Just wanted to let you know that I printed your maps and the color ones available on Atari age for my 6 year old son and I to play this evening. Yours ended up being the most useful as it shows the recommended path to take.

Anyway, we finally made it to (and through) level Z ! Only on easy level though.

Did a big high-five when we made it. I was mostly glad to get him to focus for so long on it. He did ask to switch it off at about level 'R' ! The cheek is that he is always the one nagging me to play the game but then never has the stamina to finish it :roll:

Such a shame there is no real 'ending' to the game. I guess that wasn't common for games of the era.

Just wondering - what happens if you finish it on the hardest level ? Does it still loop back the start ? (or level H or whatever the start of the hard level is).

Edited by strudders

I enjoyed reading about you and your son, and I'm glad you made it all the way through level Z. Don't remember a lot since it has been so long since I played it. What I DO remember is the game seemed easy once I mapped it out (naturally) but also feeling frustrated with the game because it simply "wrapped around" (I think to level G). And yes, a non-ending was fairly typical.

A little research (Atarimania) told me something I never knew and may have helped your son with his stamina issue... The TV Type switch pauses the game. Wish I could have told you that sooner.

Anyway, thanks for the update. And congrats to you and your son!