IGNORED

Ballblazer

SolutionZ

Yep i enjoy it!I remember back in the early 90's when i first got a copy of it from Big Lots i didn't like it to much but i tried it recently and i absolutely love it now.I noticed i had two copies of it the red label and a normal one and i was just wondering if there was any difference between the two.I just recently pulled the 7800 out and i am re-living some of the great gaming times i had with it.

• Like 2

Yep i enjoy it!I remember back in the early 90's when i first got a copy of it from Big Lots i didn't like it to much but i tried it recently and i absolutely love it now.I noticed i had two copies of it the red label and a normal one and i was just wondering if there was any difference between the two.I just recently pulled the 7800 out and i am re-living some of the great gaming times i had with it.

Please check out the topic below this one. If someone backs out get on the list to buy a really awesome homebrew multicart.

That would be a even better way to enjoy your 7800!!

The red label rarity is somewhat of a myth, I posted a picture of a box full of Ballblazer carts, many moons ago. A friend of mine bought around 100 of them and pulled the POKEY's for arcade projects. I bought all the shells. I think 60% of them were red end-label versions. In total, I think I held about 100 of them in my own hands. :)

I've opened a few hundred sealed copies of Ballblazer, and CPUWIZ is right: there's about a 60%-to-40% mix between the gray-label Ballblazers and the red-label Ballblazers. My cartridges were about 60% gray-label and 40% red-label, so I'm sure it varies a bit from one shipment to the next, but the red-label cartridges are hardly a rarity. As far as I know, the ROM is the same in both versions.

Big Lots, lol.

I also remember when Big Lots had a clear out of Atari products in like 1990, or 1991....i must of loaded 2 or 3 shopping carts full of 7800 and 2600 games..Never saw 7800 consoles for sale at Big Lots at the time though...But i did pic up a few 2600 junior consoles from Biglots in the carry around grip boxes they came in.....Lmao, good timez. :)

Edited by Stun Runner 87

LOL guys. Why are sealed Atari 2600 and 7800 so freakking commonplace that it's often easier to find them sealed than loose, when sealed NES and SNES games are exceedingly rare and valuable? I never understood that a piece of cellophane on an NES game is worth $470 (for a $30 CIB game), yet a random sealed 7800 game is worth $7.95 and maybe $5 CIB or $2 for a loose cart. I'm a gamer and oftentimes collect cart only because it's cheaper but many of the 7800 games, I might find more copies available on eBay and elsewhere sealed compared to loose. Were there just whole palettes of these things sitting in warehouses for 10+ years???

Seems like there's still enough sealed Ballblazers floating about to supply the homebrew market with Pokey chips for some time to come. :P

LOL guys. Why are sealed Atari 2600 and 7800 so freakking commonplace that it's often easier to find them sealed than loose, when sealed NES and SNES games are exceedingly rare and valuable? I never understood that a piece of cellophane on an NES game is worth $470 (for a $30 CIB game), yet a random sealed 7800 game is worth $7.95 and maybe $5 CIB or $2 for a loose cart. I'm a gamer and oftentimes collect cart only because it's cheaper but many of the 7800 games, I might find more copies available on eBay and elsewhere sealed compared to loose. Were there just whole palettes of these things sitting in warehouses for 10+ years???

Seems like there's still enough sealed Ballblazers floating about to supply the homebrew market with Pokey chips for some time to come. :P

Don't count on it. You've got home brewers that want POKEYs for their 7800 carts [and Cuttle Carts], you have A8'ers that use them for the Dual POKEY Stereo Mod for their computers [although I've yet to see a 5200 that does as such; maybe I should be the first to do it], and then you have all of the Atari arcade system owners who use them to replace damaged POKEYs in them [and Atari Coin/Games used POKEYs all the way into their 90s arcade machines]. Google "Quad POKEY Eliminator Board" to see what I mean concerning the demand for arcade machines...

Edited by Lynxpro

Yep i remember i walked out of Big Lots with a cart full of games for $1 each and this was in 92 still have them to this day.I did check out the home brew scene here and i was rather amazed by what has been done. Failsafe looks awesome as does the bently bear game actually they all look good.

Were there just whole palettes of these things sitting in warehouses for 10+ years???

Surprisingly, yes, and sometimes even longer. You don't see such "stockpiles" of old NES games because Nintendo was a little smarter about managing the supply chain than the pre-crash companies, which basically stuffed the retail channels with product.

If my understanding is correct, Nintendo's quality control determined whether a game would be published as well as the number of copies that would be produced, and the publishers even had to pay Nintendo to manufacture them, so there was less of an incentive to create extra copies.

Surprisingly, yes, and sometimes even longer. You don't see such "stockpiles" of old NES games because Nintendo was a little smarter about managing the supply chain than the pre-crash companies, which basically stuffed the retail channels with product.

If my understanding is correct, Nintendo's quality control determined whether a game would be published as well as the number of copies that would be produced, and the publishers even had to pay Nintendo to manufacture them, so there was less of an incentive to create extra copies.

Nintendo also shorted third-party companies on whim while allowing favorite companies [Konami] create sub-brands [ultra] to violate the rules on the number of games a single company could produce annually while strictly enforcing the rules on others [Tengen]. They were no angels and their quality-control didn't keep a lot of shlock from being released on the NES [watch AVGN if you don't believe me]. There's certainly more bad games on the NES than on the 2600.

• Like 2

Shrink-wrap on Atari games doesn't affect the value too much, because Atari didn't typically shrink-wrap their games before they left the factory, most of that being done by chain stores themselves, after the fact.

I would say pretty much all of the 7800 releases by Atari were factory shrinkwrapped.

Mitch

• Like 3

I wanted to ask another question? Is the XM module completed for the atari 7800 i read up on it but i never did find anything about its completion.Just wondering as i would love to own one of those.Anyway playing some Dark Chambers right now and trying to get the kids used to seeing the ole atari 7800 back in action.

• Like 1

Nintendo also shorted third-party companies on whim while allowing favorite companies [Konami] create sub-brands [ultra] to violate the rules on the number of games a single company could produce annually while strictly enforcing the rules on others [Tengen]. They were no angels and their quality-control didn't keep a lot of shlock from being released on the NES [watch AVGN if you don't believe me]. There's certainly more bad games on the NES than on the 2600.

I'm sure that's true. I only said that Nintendo's quality control enforced the rules, not necessarily that they were good at their jobs. :-D

Out of the ~700 games that were released for the NES, I find myself going back consistently to about a dozen or so. The 2600 and Intellivision have a much more favorable "quality-to-crap" ratio for me.

And yes, 7800 games were definitely shrinkwrapped by Atari. I've opened enough Atari master packs to know that.

• Like 1