IGNORED

WiFi and your Classic Computer

I've been toying around with getting one of << these >> for my classic computer for awhile now. I've not had the time lately to get around to doing it yet, but I'm wondering, has anyone else here done this to their TI, Atari, Commodore or other classic computer? From the looks of it, it should be real easy to hook up and work just fine when hooked to a RJ45/RS-232 converter.

I dont have THAT one but I use a old G mode linksys wifi bridge all the time, and once you have it setup its pretty much plug n play

setting it up isnt all that hard, its a web interface, so requires a little bit of know how

I'm curious, what model of Classic Computer do you have yours hooked up to? When I get one I'm going to hook it up to my 32 year old TI-99/4A.

oh I just have it hooked to my 386 at the moment, need one of UDs-10 doo hickies to get my other stuff online

Yep, the >> UDS-10 <<, that's what I'm going to hook mine too as well. It's a fantastic little device. Who would have ever figured that people would be able to get Commodore 64's, TI-99/4A's, and all kinds of other ancient computers on the Internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, the >> UDS-10 <<, that's what I'm going to hook mine too as well. It's a fantastic little device. Who would have ever figured that people would be able to get Commodore 64's, TI-99/4A's, and all kinds of other ancient computers on the Internet.

I picked up one of those from eBay after I read your other post. It's funny how we never learn of these things until you hear or see it from someone else using it or from a post in these forums.

For my Commodore 64, I'm looking forward to this device:

http://cometplus.net/

It will plug into the "user" port freeing up the cartridge port for other things.

Sorry to hear about the USB adapter not having a driver. That was one of the problems with the TI. TI seemed to concentrate on selling it as a useful appliance for everyone, which they all did, but they seemed to shun the home hobbyist crowd that in other circles produced alot of software and even hardware. From what I understand, technical specs weren't available until after the unit was discontinued. At Radio Shack, besides the users manuals that came with the unit, one could easily order a service manual, which had enough info to build the computer from scratch including masks for the circuit board(s), and complete troubleshooting information for techs, and a technical reference manual as well.

The machine has pretty good specs hardware wise. I never even knew it had a 16 bit processor... a big selling point that they never advertised. Again, they were shooting for the non-tech crowd. Despite that, the internal software for it was horrible. For starters, it had that useless boot up screen. Why would I want to choose BASIC if I just inserted a cartridge. Obviously since it appeared in the menu, the machine detected cartridges in the system. So why wouldn't it just execute the cartridge if one was present like all other systems did.

And the BASiC... ugh.. very non-standard version that was more difficult to use compared to Radio Shack or C64 or Atari.

I think my biggest issue was the keyboard though... Why would you have a keyboard without such an important key as BACKSPACE !!!! The ASCII character set was terrible, and many of the characters were just blanks too... very odd indeed.

In the end, it seems to me that they had a great computer with a terrible ROM BASIC and one of the crappiest keyboards ever. Even with it's crappy basic, if they would have made a better keyboard and supported the hobbyist community better it might have lasted longer.

The thing that gets me is that despite it's fast 16 bit processor, it seems slower that the competing 8 bit systems of the day.