IGNORED

Good 7800 Games

Rhomaios

Taking a slightly different approach and different strokes for different folks. I'm one of the people in the minority that like Karateka (when you exclude bias/nostalgia/gameplay from other ports). Some games, most will agree are great; some games, some will only believe is great, others will think it stinks - and there's a lot of variance in between it all.

Safe to say, it's believed these are pretty much panned across the board as being ones to avoid (Although will await for someone(s) to feel differently ;) ):

Ace of Aces
F-18 Hornet
Super Huey UH-IX
Tomcat - The F-14
Personally, I would (sadly) have to add many of the sports title. Sports titles in general can have a tough time not feeling dated; however, the 7800 has some that fell flat even in its prime, IMHO:
Touchdown Football
Pete Rose Baseball
RealSports Baseball
Mat Mania Challenge
Title Match Pro Wrestling
Anything else, I wouldn't completely rule out. Personally, I own the entire retail library and any homebrews mass released (And some not so massed released). However, cost being a consideration, any of the above seek last for obtaining, and try other titles first. Then again, Emulation is really great for a "try before you buy" scenario to make up your own mind.
  • Like 3

Still could use POKEY audio support and maybe using a 2600 keypad controller in the 2nd joystick port for code input...

Thing is unless AA someday actually comes out with their 7800 flash cart those fixed versions don't really matter, at least not to me.

I hope we'll be able to buy something by the end of the year or some time in 2015:

atariage.com/forums/topic/158374-harmony-cart-7800/?p=2995100

In case it was missed here...

...The relevant part:

"What about Harmony 2?

The Harmony 2 cartridge, for the Atari 7800, is now known as "the Concerto cartridge."

I know many are anxious for the release of this cartridge, but it is still in development. It's gone through more than a dozen hardware revisions including two ground-up redesigns and currently it's better than I ever imagined. The latest redesign was conceived to be 100% reverse-compatible with Harmony AND Hamony Encore at the hardware and firmware level, so all of the games that work on Harmony and Harmony Encore will work on Concerto. We hope Concerto will be done in time for CGE 2014 (if there is one) or PRGE 2014."

Fingers crossed for the Harmony Concerto cartridge around this Autumn, if not sooner. ;)

Note:

CGE 2014 is September 12-14th.

PRGE 2014 is October 18-19th.

• Like 1

I always found it to be like a poor mans JJ & Jeff from the TG-16. Didn't care for it. I have a CiB copy of scrapyard dog if anyone's after a copy btw

It's a poor-man's everything. It's not going to go toe-to-toe with AAA platformers of the time, but it's still a solid enough game with enough variety for what it is (bonus rooms, unique gameplay style, etc).

I always found it to be like a poor mans JJ & Jeff from the TG-16. Didn't care for it. I have a CiB copy of scrapyard dog if anyone's after a copy btw

It's certainly nothing like the version for the Lynx, which is excellent. I've just never been able to get into SD for the 7800.

• Like 1