IGNORED

Intellivisionaries Episode 10 is Live!

There are a lot of 'pick it up and go' games on the Intellivision....

Astrosmash, Burger Time , Bump and Jump, Buzz Bombers, Beauty and the Beast, Demon Attack, Lock N Chase, Beamrider,

And new games such as

DK Arcade, Christmas Carol, Space Patrol, 4 tris, Old School, and soon to be released Boulder Dash.

Astrosmash, Burger Time , Bump and Jump, Buzz Bombers, Beauty and the Beast, Demon Attack, Lock N Chase, Beamrider,

And new games such as

DK Arcade, Christmas Carol, Space Patrol, 4 tris, Old School, and soon to be released Boulder Dash.

That may be true but in my younger days of playing on the Intellivision, I only had a chance to play Demon Attack (a fair amount of time on this one), Astrosmash (a lot as it seemed to be everyone had this), and Beauty and the Beast (briefly... one time I believe as my friend traded for this game at one point). The others I don't think I played until the late 80's early 90's... and I'm certain I never played Buzz Bombers and Beamrider of the Intellivision.

Needless to say, I have a lot of new experiences to look forward to!

As for the new games... I want all of them (not sure about old school as I didn't read about it... yet! :) ) as they look like fun!!

Wow, that's quite a post!

All I can say is a big thank you for the kind words, and I'm really glad you are getting back into the system as a result of listening to the podcast. As I've said before, that's one of our goals in doing the show. The three of us put a lot of time into the content of the show, and I put a lot of time into the production of it, so it's gratifying when people notice and enjoy it.

Any chance you'll be attending Classic Gaming Expo this September, King Salamon?

I thought I would chime in here with my thoughts on the podcast...

It's funny... I was an Atari kid and never really got into the Intellivision so I thought I would listen to the first Episode and make a choice: continue listening or not. It struck me during the first episode that you guys nailed the difference between the Atari VCS and the Intellivision. The Intellivision was slower paced and more of a thinking man's system. I believe one of you termed it more like a computer versus the twitch gaming style of a console. It makes sense and I agree. The amount of rules in the manuals was too much for me to try to understand when visiting a friend as a child as you wanted to play and have fun during the short time you had at the friend's place. At that point I thought, that's why I didn't really get into the Intellivision in the early 80's and that's why I will not continue listening to the podcast. I just never had that much fun with the system in the 80's.

Time for a flashback...

I should clarify, in the 80's I would look through Electronic Games magazine and drool at the screen shots of games I've never played or even heard of (haven't we all? lol). And among the pics were games for the Intellivision. Imagic seems to come to mind with thoughts of Dracula, Truckin and Demon Attack. Never played two of them and when I did play Demon Attack, I thought it was the best version as the Mother Ship was simply awesome and just what I thought and hoped it would be. Other times, I would finally get to play a game like Microsurgeon (again Imagic strikes again!) and after dreaming of the game... I was very disappointed... I had no clue how to play and my friend wasn't a huge help... he simply thought it was second nature on what to do. lol I didn't want to read the manual and he thought he could simply show me how to play... not so much. I wanted a pick up and play game I guess... remember, I only had an hour or so of time to play at my friend's place so time was of the essence!!

Fast forward to the PlayStation 2 era and Intellivision lives on the system... I picked up the game and thought it would be fun to try out some of the games that I never played.. or played all to briefly. I enjoyed the games a bit but the terrible keypad control was next to impossible to use with accuracy (Utopia was ruined in my opinion because of this). I did finally get to play some NHL Hockey (Slap Shot hockey for one player and the regular to play some two player games). It was fun, slow, but fun and again the game was hampered by the keypad 'control' (or lack thereof). Overall, it scratched an itch but never hooked me.

A few years later , the DS game seemed like heaven... I never saw it in stores in Canada (could have been a US only release? I'm not sure). Again, seems like I wasn't to play it.. I suppose I could have ordered a copy off of Ebay or the Blue Sky Rangers but I digress. I did hear that this is a great way to enjoy the old system... maybe I will track down one of these copies one day.

End of flashback... or just the beginning??

Oh yeah, back to the podcast and why I went in my history and experience with the system... it was the PS2 game that tied into your podcast... I think it was the Astrosmash episode that I had already downloaded along with the intro episode. At the time I did remember Astrosmash on my friends console and I did have fun playing it... hey it wasn't all bad news guys! As a result, I said that the Astrosmash (or Astroblast as I really played it as on my VCS ;) ) episode would be the determining factor for making a subscription decision. Then during one of the musical interludes (which I absolutely love by the way!) I heard a familiar tune.. and the song of someone pining for their Intellivision was playing. It didn't take me back to the 80's but rather the early 2000's and trying to have fun with the PS2 version. I LOVED that song along with the rest of the soundtrack... we would play games with those songs playing and hearing it on the podcast gave me a 'retro' feeling from only 10 or so years ago. I guess RETRO is a personal feeling.

Anyway, that song got me. Combine that with the production values of the show (which are off the charts!!) and I'm hooked. I do enjoy a lot of podcasts (which include both old school and new school gaming) and I think the Intellivisionaries really get you into the system. The sound bites for the episodes games that are used along with the tunes are a great touch and mixed in wonderfully! I'm looking forward now to learning about this system in a lot more depth. Learning Fun III - Intellivision history! :)

As a result, I'm looking forward to this latest episode.. making my way through from the beginning and currently on Bomb Squad. Overall, I need to get caught up but at the same time, I'll take my time and enjoy and learn! Great stuff guys! Keep up the high level of podcasting!

Oh and my mentioning of flashbacks... I'll definitely be picking up the Intellivision Flashback this fall so I can enjoy Spikers and other games that I would never own due to their rarity and cost. I have also started looking locally for an original system and some of the old games to enjoy... one thing I know I will do differently now... I'll be reading the manuals before playing!

Wow, that's quite a post!

All I can say is a big thank you for the kind words, and I'm really glad you are getting back into the system as a result of listening to the podcast. As I've said before, that's one of our goals in doing the show. The three of us put a lot of time into the content of the show, and I put a lot of time into the production of it, so it's gratifying when people notice and enjoy it.

Any chance you'll be attending Classic Gaming Expo this September, King Salamon?

It was a bit of a post but it doesn't hold a candle to the podcast you guys are doing!

You're welcome as well for the kind words. I wouldn't post if I didn't mean it. :) The time and effort is showing. Kudos!

As for CGE... I am not sure... at this point, no. But my wife and I were looking at flights in September and I told her about the show... so there is a possibility but I can't confirm. I would really enjoy going to one of these shows... I've never gone to an expo or gaming convention (I did go to a local toy fair a few years back but that was tiny and basically a big flea market lol)

If I do go to CGE, I will be posting it on here for sure as well as on the RGR forums... well once I sign up for those forums. lol

• Like 1

And new games such as

Largely looking forward to Boulder Dash! ;) and all those others are great games as well.

and King Salamon go to a CGE expo it is such a blast and you should go at least once if you are an old time game player.

everything is there whatever system you played. so much fun! and Vegas too....

Largely looking forward to Boulder Dash! ;) and all those others are great games as well.

and King Salamon go to a CGE expo it is such a blast and you should go at least once if you are an old time game player.

everything is there whatever system you played. so much fun! and Vegas too....

It's funny... I mentioned the Expo to my wife yesterday and she's been checking out packages to Vegas! Perhaps I will be attending this year! Stay tuned!!

• Like 2