IGNORED

My new 2600 display case

bloatedmonkey

I see discussions about "how do you store your games" around once in a while, so I figured I'd show mine. I still have to put doors on it, but since I now have a new baby (our first), it'll probably stay like this for a while.

Now some of you may say "How dare you allow games like Malagai to be exposed to the air like that". Well I believe games are for playing, not for sitting in a box.

My cabinet fits less than 900 games, which basically limits how many games I can collect. It won't hold every game I'd like to have, but it's a good compromise. I get to display my games, and my wife doesn't have to deal with an out-of-control hobby.

ac12.jpeg

Some more pictures: http://home.houston.rr.com/bm/atari/ataricab.html

Wow, that looks fantastic! Nice collection, too.

I wish I had the skill to build something as functional and professional looking as that. I'd probably just end up cutting off a finger or two, and then I'd have a hard time holding a joystick.

Just out of curiosity, what are the outer dimensions of the cabinet?

Wow, that looks fantastic! Nice collection, too.

I wish I had the skill to build something as functional and professional looking as that. I'd probably just end up cutting off a finger or two, and then I'd have a hard time holding a joystick.

I think bcosting was reading my mind, because nearly word for word that's just what I was about to write. Sssssscary!! :D

BM, dude dont be mad when I post my pics in a few weeks when I get moved and get my new storage up, I bought and built and have waiting for me at my new home a very similar set up for all my games, some of which I got from you.

Same color just 5 pieces instead of 3, I have it all drawn up and when I saw yours I was shocked at how similar mine was, "you been watching me??" So I might have to change mine up now :sad: anyway very nice, and yes where did you get all those mm boxes?? :D :) :roll: :ponder:

W O W

Very impressive and well done. I make some of my furniture as well and yours looks like a very good job.

If anyone is reading this and hasn't clicked on the web page at the start of this thread, then go up and do so.... it is well worth looking at.

Wow that looks awesome!! Very well designed. As others have already asked. I'm wondering where, and how long it took you to collect 196 MM boxes as well.

Also I'm curious as to how you were able to secure all those games for a measly $356! :o Are you not counting the homebrews, or were those all from trades, or what? That's easily over $400 worth of homebrews and repos in you're collection alone.

<----/envious

To answer the questions:

1. The MM cubes were obtained over the last 2 years of collecting. I had alot more than that, but I thought it was big enough already (I was going for quality over quantity). I sold the others last year.

2. Yes, it's oak. The wood alone cost about $400.

3. The whole thing is about 8ft long by 7ft high.

4. The cost of my collection is the net cost from buying and selling. I try to buy low and sell high (as opposed to my stock market experience), but I never buy a lot just to resell it. My goal is to break-even at the same time that I fill the cabinet, though I don't know if I will9 ever shell out hundreds for games like Eli.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I'm new to woodworking, so this was quite the project for me.

but I'm more interested in that green Malibu ('71, '72?) parked outside the garage

Nice eye, dude! It's a '72 Chevelle with a 350. My grandmother bought it new and gave it to me when I hit high school. I've kept in almost show condition despite driving it alot.

the TV is too small

I was trying to keep the look consitent with the period (it's the same TV I played atari on as a kid). For serious playing, I use the 54-inch downstairs.