IGNORED

Best Component Video Switches - Any suggestions?

Both my HDTVs only have one component/composite input. I've got my old standard DVD player, Nintendo Wii, and PS1 that I'd like to hook up to the same TV.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a Component Video Switch?

I was thinking of getting a StarTech.com 4 Port model (Overstock has it for $30)

Any input (no pun intended) would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Trem

post-11172-0-06593200-1405270694_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-93260000-1405270703_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-15010800-1405270715_thumb.jpg

Edited by tremoloman2006

That StarTech switch looks like the same one they sell at Monoprice, and I had nothing but problems with mine. I should have done some research beforehand, and I usually do, but it was impulse buy, and I paid greatly for it.

Second time around, I did do the research, and I ended up getting a used Key Digital KD-CSW4x1 component switch, and I couldn't be happier. You'll see a few on eBay at any given time, but make sure it comes with the power supply and remote if you do consider getting one. (The remote isn't such a big deal, but unless you have it, you'll have to manually change the source via the front button)

Edited by ProperRogue
  • Like 1

That StarTech switch looks like the same one they sell at Monoprice, and I had nothing but problems with mine. I should have done some research beforehand, and I usually do, but it was impulse buy, and I paid greatly for it.

Second time around, I did do the research, and I ended up getting a used Key Digital KD-CSW4x1 component switch, and I couldn't be happier. You'll see a few on eBay at any given time, but make sure it comes with the power supply and remote if you do consider getting one. (The remote isn't such a big deal, but unless you have it, you'll have to manually change the source via the front button)

Thank you ProperRogue! Under your recommendation I picked one of these up and they work GREAT! I owe you one!

Best regards,

Trem

• Like 1

I'm nearly finished wiring up my gaming consoles (nearly 23 to the same source) but I used a combination of my receiver and some AV switch boxes.

For component switch boxes I used these.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-40324-Component-Performance-Selector/dp/B000AM3U2I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1406039928&sr=8-7&keywords=component+switch+box

Little pricey, but they have TOSLINK and have not given me any problems.

This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-System-Selector-Pro-Black-All/dp/B0002MHF22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406042676&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+system+selector+pro

This thing has 8 (!!!) inputs and accommodates composite, component, s-video, stereo, optical digital (toslink), AND ethernet connections. It's truly an all-in-one device if you're looking for a good switchbox for all your pre-HDMI systems. It's not made from the highest quality materials but it works very well. They're not in production anymore so you'll have to track down a used one from eBay or some other reseller but they can usually be had for pretty cheap. Can't recommend this thing enough as it has saved me a lot of space and headaches over trying to keep all my systems hooked up to one TV and stereo receiver.

• Like 1

This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-System-Selector-Pro-Black-All/dp/B0002MHF22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406042676&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+system+selector+pro

This thing has 8 (!!!) inputs and accommodates composite, component, s-video, stereo, optical digital (toslink), AND ethernet connections. It's truly an all-in-one device if you're looking for a good switchbox for all your pre-HDMI systems. It's not made from the highest quality materials but it works very well. They're not in production anymore so you'll have to track down a used one from eBay or some other reseller but they can usually be had for pretty cheap. Can't recommend this thing enough as it has saved me a lot of space and headaches over trying to keep all my systems hooked up to one TV and stereo receiver.

Heh thats the same one I posted above but in black. (8 inputs component, S-video etc)

I didnt know they made a vesion all in black I would have looked for that. They are really hard to find now and I agree they are not the highest quality but they do a great job and the picture quality is great, no issues.

Thank you ProperRogue! Under your recommendation I picked one of these up and they work GREAT! I owe you one!

Best regards,

Trem

Those switchers are definitely built SOLID, and easily the best brand I've ever owned. Glad to see you enjoying one as well.

Heh thats the same one I posted above but in black. (8 inputs component, S-video etc)

I didnt know they made a vesion all in black I would have looked for that. They are really hard to find now and I agree they are not the highest quality but they do a great job and the picture quality is great, no issues.

Haha, so it is! I've tried numerous other switchboxes (daisychaining is SO cumbersome) and this one does the job nicely. Found mine at a Goodwill, luckily. Had to track down a universal power adapter for it but it was worth it.

How does that unit work if you have a few devices hooked up using different cables...some with svideo, some with component, etc. Does it convert everything to component so you only need one "video out" ? Right now Im running two different component switches because I needed one that had toslink foe my xbox and ps2 and one for the wii and dreamcast which use analog audio, which is such a waste. I also have no way to switch svideo right now as my receiver has no svideo inputs. I would need to convert it to component before it hits the receiver.