IGNORED

Pocket BASIC Mini Computer

TPA5

I'm not 100% sure if this belongs in the Classic Computing section, as it is not a classic computer strictly speaking, but it does recreate the classic computer experience. If I have categorized this wrongly, my apologies.

To the good stuff!

This is one of the neater looking things I've wanted to get my hands on lately: https://www.tindie.com/products/Propellerpowered/propellerpowered-pocket-mini-computer/

2014-06-25T21:07:17.734Z-PMC-PEB2014_2.j

It's a little computer that looks to recreate a classic computer with hardware specs like 32k of RAM and a full BASIC interpreter, with some modern amenities such as a Wii game port connection for a classic controller and VGA out so you can use easier-on-the-eyes LCD monitors. It''s only 45$ and even comes as a solder-yourself kit, so I for one definitely am looking forward to getting my hands on one. I've known about these guys for a couple years now, but after they stopped development on the old version and went through a lengthy re-design and re-release process. I'm definitely wanting to put one together for myself and get back to writing some BASIC games and programs.

What do you guys think? Cool toy or not worth it?

Wow, that's super tempting. One thing that holds me back on doing a full fledged old school computer set up is that I cannot be bothered with finding the room for a CRT (or transporting one, or paying to have it shipped, etc) so if I could just use a modern monitor and keyboard with it, I would be much more interested in fiddling with one. I'd been looking at a Raspberry Pi but never really pulled the trigger because I couldn't think of a genuine use for it that wouldn't be better accomplished via emulation.

I suppose the same is true here but the natural hardware limits might be fun to tinker with in a way that wouldn't be quite the same by just emulating something.

Well, I for one absolutely thinks that definitely belongs in the forum, maybe even in it's own category. I love all these ardunio, rasberry pi, beagle bone devices coming down the pike, there's lots of competing companies out there making various products, some more general purpose, others, like this one, more geared towards a specific task. This is where the modern tinkerer goes to these days... That unit looks like it does some cool stuff, especially for $45 bucks, it's cheap enough for anyone interested in this sort of thing. Thanks for turning me on to it... I'll be looking into it for sure.

Edited by John_L

... geared towards a specific task.

That would be nice! I envision a small little device that would plug into my router...

It would have ZERO BOOT TIME and only contain a BBS in ROM (no extra unused OS crap) all the messages and extras would reside on a single SD card. All operational control and access would be via Telnet via my local computer or long-distance from the Internet.

That would be nice! I envision a small little device that would plug into my router...

It would have ZERO BOOT TIME and only contain a BBS in ROM (no extra unused OS crap) all the messages and extras would reside on a single SD card. All operational control and access would be via Telnet via my local computer or long-distance from the Internet.

Welll, there ya go... I spy an RJ-45 jack on that puppy, and that's exactly what that device is designed to do. That sounds perfect for something like that, and that's actually a really cool implementation for one. I suppose these days it would probably be pretty easy to have a BBS running as a background task on your PC, but then your PC has to be always on. With this cheap $45 device you could maintain a 24 hour BBS that could soldier on even when the PC is off or asleep. You could probably write the BBS in BASIC... and I'm wondering what sort of TCP support functions they built into their impletmentation of BASIC.

Welll, there ya go... I spy an RJ-45 jack on that puppy, and that's exactly what that device is designed to do. That sounds perfect for something like that, and that's actually a really cool implementation for one. I suppose these days it would probably be pretty easy to have a BBS running as a background task on your PC, but then your PC has to be always on. With this cheap $45 device you could maintain a 24 hour BBS that could soldier on even when the PC is off or asleep. You could probably write the BBS in BASIC... and I'm wondering what sort of TCP support functions they built into their impletmentation of BASIC.

I don't believe they have any TCP functions built in, though you can confirm here: http://propellerpowered.wikispaces.com/COLOR+BASIC+Language+Reference

Is that an RJ-45 jack? I don't see it in the specifications list; although with the pins you can send serial data to the computer, so in theory you could use software like this: http://www.pcpromotions.co.uk/spc/legacy.htm to push the serial data over to TCP/IP.

Unfortunately, this adds some obfuscation to the original idea of just plugging a little something into your router. In theory, with the expandability of the board, you could add your own RJ-45 jack, but then I'm not sure how you would interface with it from within their BASIC implementation, seeing as it has no functions to support TCP. I should email them and ask, they've added functions to the BASIC source over the months and years to support functions the community has asked for.

Edited by TPA5

Is that an RJ-45 jack?

Opps, you know what, I think you're right, I thought it was, but upon closer inspection I think that's the USB port, which can be easily converted to an RJ-45 for about $15 bucks, also, I checked the BASIC language reference page and it doesn't seem to have TCP/IP support directly, but there are some serial data functions built in. Also, I did a bit of research by downloading some of the support files and found some ".spin" extension files for a sample HTTP server....

Project : "example_httpserver"
Archived : Friday, August 10, 2012 at 8:05:28 AM
Tool : Propeller Tool version 1.3.2
example_httpserver.spin
├──api_telnet_serial.spin
│ │
│ └──driver_socket.spin <--- lookie here !
│ │
│ └──driver_enc28j60.spin
├──util_strings.spin
└──RealRandom.spin
So it appears as though driver_socket.spin is an internet socket driver, so it looks like it does have TCP socket support !!! So it looks like Omega's vision of a cheap BBS board to connect directly to his router is totally possible, and probably wouldn't require any low level programming, although I may be wrong. This device is looking cooler and cooler.
Personally, I'd like to combine it with this...
and this....
and make a portable unit ! Would be pretty cool
The display, keyboard, and Pocket Mini adds up to just over $100 bucks! It's amazing how cheap LCDs are these days...
Edited by John_L
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, that thing looks nice.

I dunno why, but the Raspberry Pi/BeagleBoard/PandaBoard were always neat little things. This looks cool, and stuff like the idea of running a BBS off of it or making a portable one would be cool to see.

I can't wait to see what happens with this/to possibly get one

A BBS isn't out of the question right now.. There are a few of us getting ready to play with those new ESP8266 modules (cheap wifi). They should be a good match with this project. Now that we have 54k memory free, there should be plenty of room for this.

How cool to see our PEB board posted on the Atari Classic Forums!

I "JUST" completed a second version of this board, called the Micromite Companion.

Here's a couple videos that are a Tour of the Project

and of course... you can get them here.

http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=1946

Hey Oldbit, thanks for the info!

What are the main differences between the Pocket Mini and the Micromite? I was just wondering because I was actually getting ready to order a Pocket Mini, but now the Micromite is out. I did notice the Micromite is roughly 20 bucks more than the Pocket Mini. I also noticed the Pocket Mini is on backorder on Tindie, are you no longer producing it?

The MMC does look really nifty!

Thanks!

Edited by TPA5

Hey Oldbit, thanks for the info!

What are the main differences between the Pocket Mini and the Micromite? I was just wondering because I was actually getting ready to order a Pocket Mini, but now the Micromite is out. I did notice the Micromite is roughly 20 bucks more than the Pocket Mini. I also noticed the Pocket Mini is on backorder on Tindie, are you no longer producing it?

The MMC does look really nifty!

Thanks!

The big difference between the Pocket Mini (PEB) and the Micromite Companion (MMC) is the extra chip added to the MMC. (and large SD socket). Adding the Micromite chip to the new board upgrades the compatibility of the project x100. Instead of running BASIC (and it's supporting objects) on the Propeller alone. (leaving around 4k of programming space), the Micromite provides a very robust "MMBASIC" (written by Geoff Grahm) and an onboard editor. The Propeller is now freed to run the objects alone. This combination now allows us 54k of programming space, an expanded commandset, and the ability to create almost unlimited "mode/styles" because we can boot new screen/audio modes from the SD into the memory of the Propeller. The Propeller becomes the I/O device to the Micromite chip.

If you are planning to play with COLOR BASIC, then move into serious Propeller programming and want the access to the I/O pins of the Propeller, wait for the PEB.

If you would like a much more robust BASIC with access to the Propeller's open I/O, and the I/O of the Micromite, then grab an MMC kit.

BTW, The MMC is compatible with COLOR BASIC, and it's Propeller can be accessed for programming as well.

Jeff

I was just re-reading my last message and saw that the stupid spell checker in my brower replaced the word "capability" with "compatibility" -- stupid. :)

Here's a thread on my forums that I posted a while back that explains the differences between the boards, PEB and MMC

http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=600.0