IGNORED

Thinking of selling my Gorf

high voltage

My blue copy of Gorf CD sold for $675 on eBay a few years ago to someone in Japan. :grin: So anything is possible!

The economy was MUCH MUCH better 3 years ago than it is today. I was selling things like crazy for big $ on ebay 2 to 3 years ago. But in the last year+. things have been bad and getting worse. Slow sales for low $. What sold for $675 three years ago now sells for $375, for the most part. I mainly deal with video games and model trains on ebay. But lots of other stuff. Sales are down across the board. I've been buying and selling on ebay since 2006. Started buying in 2002, selling in '06.

Certain Jaguar items have gone up in price because of the angry video game nerd. Jag and Jag cd systems have gone up because so many Nintendo fanboys that never had a jag now want one because avgn has made the jag popular in the last year or 2+

The economy was MUCH MUCH better 3 years ago than it is today. I was selling things like crazy for big $ on ebay 2 to 3 years ago. But in the last year+. things have been bad and getting worse. Slow sales for low $. What sold for $675 three years ago now sells for $375, for the most part. I mainly deal with video games and model trains on ebay. But lots of other stuff. Sales are down across the board. I've been buying and selling on ebay since 2006. Started buying in 2002, selling in '06.

Certain Jaguar items have gone up in price because of the angry video game nerd. Jag and Jag cd systems have gone up because so many Nintendo fanboys that never had a jag now want one because avgn has made the jag popular in the last year or 2+

I've never seen retro gaming prices as bad as they are now, personally. I've been trying to round out my collection of a few odd games for each platform i own and have found prices of many games to be hard to come to terms with.

i put games in storage that weren't even worth selling a few years back and in the most extreme cases they're worth $300+ more than the $10-$30 I could've gotten for them back then (like Keio Flying Squadron for the Sega CD, I'm still trying to figure out why that one went up because no aspect of it is particularly notable imo and i forgot i had it :roll: ).

The value of the rarer Jaguar games has always been extremely volatile, so there's no saying how much the next copy of a game will go for after one sells for $700-$1000... especially in the jaguar community where such price volatility sometimes has no obvious explanation. I guess in smaller communities (like the jaguar) where the fan base is smaller and the supply of games is smaller, factors that might be small on other platforms can have larger impact on the prices.

Edited by Willard

Have you not participated in buying Battlesphere for outrageous prices Willard?

I've never seen retro gaming prices as bad as they are now, personally. I've been trying to round out my collection of a few odd games for each platform i own and have found prices of many games to be hard to come to terms with.

i put games in storage that weren't even worth selling a few years back and in the most extreme cases they're worth $300+ more than the $10-$30 I could've gotten for them back then (like Keio Flying Squadron for the Sega CD, I'm still trying to figure out why that one went up because no aspect of it is particularly notable imo and i forgot i had it :roll: ).

The value of the rarer Jaguar games has always been extremely volatile, so there's no saying how much the next copy of a game will go for after one sells for $700-$1000... especially in the jaguar community where such price volatility sometimes has no obvious explanation. I guess in smaller communities (like the jaguar) where the fan base is smaller and the supply of games is smaller, factors that might be small on other platforms can have larger impact on the prices.

Agreed. Prices nowadays are batshit-crazy. Take the Jaguar for instance. I ordered a NIB unit from Best last week, and immediately afterwards went searching for cheap cartridges (cheap being $5-$8 commons, cart-only). Guess what? They don't exist anymore (apparently). Cheapest out there that was worthwhile was something along the lines of Cybermorph. For $15, loose, no box, no manual. Couldn't even find Iron Soldier for that price cart-only, when just a couple of years ago you could nab them sealed for $12 or so. Three or four years ago the prices far, far more welcoming. Funny enough, even then they still felt expensive compared to the early 2000's. I truly hope the prices eventually come down, but for niche platforms like the Jaguar, I almost don't see that ever happening.

Blame AVGN for Jag price increase in the last couple years. His Jaguar videos have gotten millions of views. I know that is why the prices went up to stupid levels on some games. Give it a year or 2 Jag prices will go down. Actually probably less than a year.

Blame AVGN for Jag price increase in the last couple years. His Jaguar videos have gotten millions of views. I know that is why the prices went up to stupid levels on some games. Give it a year or 2 Jag prices will go down. Actually probably less than a year.

I am truly curious as to what your thought process is here. Jag has obviously become a collector's platform. What makes you think something would revert this process now - 20-25 yrs after the death of the platform ?

I am truly curious as to what your thought process is here. Jag has obviously become a collector's platform. What makes you think something would revert this process now - 20-25 yrs after the death of the platform ?

The economy is bad. I think the avgn jag videos created a lot of hype over the jag in the last couple years. I think that will die down soon. The economy is not getting any better and the future looks grim. That means prices should drop back down. Prices are dropping down for just about everything else. The Jag is a bit of an anomaly lately.

Wouldn't AVGN's video make people avoid buying an Atari Jaguar? He shitted on the Jaguar pretty hard(literally).

He basically introduced the Jag to thousands and thousands of people who had never even heard of it before, or heard of it but never played a game on it etc. They then wanted to try it out themselves hence more people in the market for jag stuff. I watched all avgns jag vids more than once. He wasn't that hard on it, he had some good things to say, and bad. But not all bad. He was mostly pissed about spending hundreds of dollars on broken jag cd systems.

Wouldn't AVGN's video make people avoid buying an Atari Jaguar? He shitted on the Jaguar pretty hard(literally).

Exactly. It took few tries for my son to figure out that Jag is not as crappy a platform as AVGN made it out to be.

I already had a Jag when I saw AVGN's take (or dump, depends on your angle) on it.

But if I hadn't, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't consider $30 on an unboxed, carty-only, no-manual, and not-working (just a red screen upon a start, of course) copy of Wolfenstein to be an OK deal...

The economy is bad. I think the avgn jag videos created a lot of hype over the jag in the last couple years. I think that will die down soon. The economy is not getting any better and the future looks grim. That means prices should drop back down. Prices are dropping down for just about everything else. The Jag is a bit of an anomaly lately.

He basically introduced the Jag to thousands and thousands of people who had never even heard of it before, or heard of it but never played a game on it etc. They then wanted to try it out themselves hence more people in the market for jag stuff. I watched all avgns jag vids more than once. He wasn't that hard on it, he had some good things to say, and bad. But not all bad. He was mostly pissed about spending hundreds of dollars on broken jag cd systems.

OK, I guess that makes some sense.

But, if the platform does not talk directly to the player and does not offer any kind of nostalgia factor (e.g. they did not ever own an Atari, much less an actual Jaguar) - how would they ever justify spending up to a $100 for a mediocre game (from a consumer perspective) ?

It's not like it's cool to own a Jag or anything....

Its very cool to own a Jag. Its one of the coolest systems ever. Has a unique look and so do the games. Its a real gamers system. Carts fire up the game quickly. Most of the games are actual games (unlike 3do) etc. Lots of neat Jag exclusives. Anyway. Who really knows what the future holds.

Its very cool to own a Jag. Its one of the coolest systems ever. Has a unique look and so do the games. Its a real gamers system. Carts fire up the game quickly. Most of the games are actual games (unlike 3do) etc. Lots of neat Jag exclusives. Anyway. Who really knows what the future holds.

Baron Harkonnen: I will have Atari back for myself! He who controls the Jagtopus boards controls the universe and what Peter Pack Rat did not tell you is we have control of someone who is very close, very close, to Reboot! This person, this programmer, will be worth more to us than ten reproductions of Battlesphere!

UPDATE: Not talking about me or anyone, really. Just talking out my arse as usual. I couldn't resist the "what the future holds" question :)

• Like 2

I like the trend of having simple pick up and play homages to classic games. I'm pretty sure this will continue. Y'all already know what I think about "pushing the Jaguar".

AVGN is a comedian (well, sort of), he doesn't know much about video games or consoles, he's just on YT for doing comedy. But as said, value goes up due to him, so good one AVGN.

Edited by high voltage

Baron Harkonnen: I will have Atari back for myself! He who controls the Jagtopus boards controls the universe and what Peter Pack Rat did not tell you is we have control of someone who is very close, very close, to Reboot! This person, this programmer, will be worth more to us than ten reproductions of Battlesphere! UPDATE: Not talking about me or anyone, really. Just talking out my arse as usual. I couldn't resist the "what the future holds" question :)

+1 for Dune refrence

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...