IGNORED

Might be the dumbest question asked here...

Plastik

Picked up a clean TI 99/4A last week and couldn't wait to get home and play around with it (since I've been enjoying my Commodore Vic-20 I got a month ago). Booted it up and started typing and "huh oh" made a mistake then the search for the backspace key began. I had to take a moment to really soak in what I was looking at... was this a cruel joke? Well long story short I looked up the manual online and say's FCTN +1 deletes pressed it and it did nothing, pressed FCTN + 2 gave me a space and FCTN + 3 deleted the whole line. So question is am I missing something here can you not backspace at all? Really loving the system nice form factor, clean clear display on my TV and the keyboard does the nice clicky sound. I really wanna love this machine. If anyone can help me out would be appreciated.

Might be the dumbest question asked here...

Welcome aboard and FYI NOT EVEN CLOSE to the stupidest question ever asked here lol, not even in the top 500 my friend don't sweat it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227031-homebrew-games-i-made-and-ones-im-working-on/?p=3020073

Now ^^ that ^^ was a stupid question!

:grin:

Welcome aboard!

• Like 4

Thanks everyone,glad to know its not the dumbest question. Now for another question. Where can one find a nano-peb? Does it give the 32k memory upgrade as well? How much do they go for? Okay that was three questions not just one. Thanks again.

The maker, to my knowledge ONLY sells them on eBay.

One way to find out when the maker is currently selling his Nano PEB's is to subscribe to: << THIS THREAD >>

Once you get there, click on the FOLLOW THIS TOPIC button.

If you have notifications set, you'll get an Email every time someone post a message to the thread.

gallery_35324_1027_2348.jpg

GOOD LUCK!

I guess you were missing the little plastic strip that slides in or rests on top of keyboard telling you what the various FCTN keys do.

The dumbest question i had, when I finally got a floppy drive for my TI99, after years of living with cassette tapes on all my various home computers.

I had no clue which way to insert the floppy disc in for it to work, and boy was I laughed at when i had to ask the question in packed room full of long-time better skilled experts at next monthly user group meeting.

I soon proved them all wrong, by taking over their club librarian position and building up a huge floppy disc collection been them all and even producing the Diskodex program to catalog collections.

So sometimes the dumbest question and can end up being smartest one in long run... :)

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone,glad to know its not the dumbest question. Now for another question. Where can one find a nano-peb? Does it give the 32k memory upgrade as well? How much do they go for? Okay that was three questions not just one. Thanks again.

Omega's ebay answer seems to be the most common one over here, but depending on where you live you might be able to get one from Stargames (I got mine there, and I think Rasmus did as well): http://www.stargames.be/shop/105-accessoires

They seem to always have some in stock, so if you happen to live in Europe you can always get one in a matter of days. If you're in the US maybe you can send them an email to check of they can ship overseas, that will probably be a bit more expensive but I'm sure they'll be happy to accommodate if you're itching to get one :)

Yes, the nanoPeb/CF7 include the 32k memory expansion. Price should be around 60 USD or Euro (without shipping).

• Like 1

The maker, to my knowledge ONLY sells them on eBay.

One way to find out when the maker is currently selling his Nano PEB's is to subscribe to: << THIS THREAD >>

Once you get there, click on the FOLLOW THIS TOPIC button.

If you have notifications set, you'll get an Email every time someone post a message to the thread.

gallery_35324_1027_2348.jpg

GOOD LUCK!

Oh great I sub'd, I really want to start building a library of games for the TI, especially wanna get lunar lander, moon patrol and donkey kong those are some of my favorites. Do atari controllers work on the TI?

I guess you were missing the little plastic strip that slides in or rests on top of keyboard telling you what the various FCTN keys do.

The dumbest question i had, when I finally got a floppy drive for my TI99, after years of living with cassette tapes on all my various home computers.

I had no clue which way to insert the floppy disc in for it to work, and boy was I laughed at when i had to ask the question in packed room full of long-time better skilled experts at next monthly user group meeting.

I soon proved them all wrong, by taking over their club librarian position and building up a huge floppy disc collection been them all and even producing the Diskodex program to catalog collections.

So sometimes the dumbest question and can end up being smartest one in long run... :)

Mine came with two stripes but they are both blank :-( guess its a fill your own info type.

Omega's ebay answer seems to be the most common one over here, but depending on where you live you might be able to get one from Stargames (I got mine there, and I think Rasmus did as well): http://www.stargames.be/shop/105-accessoires

They seem to always have some in stock, so if you happen to live in Europe you can always get one in a matter of days. If you're in the US maybe you can send them an email to check of they can ship overseas, that will probably be a bit more expensive but I'm sure they'll be happy to accommodate if you're itching to get one :)

Yes, the nanoPeb/CF7 include the 32k memory expansion. Price should be around 60 USD or Euro (without shipping).

Wish the exchange rate here in the US was better, but I'll email them and see if they ship across the pond. I'd figure after shipping about $100 USD.

You need an atari adapter.. you can make one with this info: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/cables/joystick.html

or buy one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-1982-Wico-Joystick-Adaptor-TI99-4a-Texas-Instruments-72-4530-/351024127182?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item51baab1cce

Greg

Oh great I sub'd, I really want to start building a library of games for the TI, especially wanna get lunar lander, moon patrol and donkey kong those are some of my favorites. Do atari controllers work on the TI?

Mine came with two stripes but they are both blank :-( guess its a fill your own info type.

Wish the exchange rate here in the US was better, but I'll email them and see if they ship across the pond. I'd figure after shipping about $100 USD.

Oh thats great looks simple enough to build. I think I read somewhere that the game port doesn't output the 5v needed for atari controllers I wonder if I miss read that.

OH, you'll LOVE << THIS SITE >> then! ;)

You're the man! Looks like I'll be needing an extended basic cart and a 32k ram cart or nano-peb to play these cool games.

Oh thats great looks simple enough to build. I think I read somewhere that the game port doesn't output the 5v needed for atari controllers I wonder if I miss read that.

You're the man! Looks like I'll be needing an extended basic cart and a 32k ram cart or nano-peb to play these cool games.

5v is only required for auto-shooters and such.. joysticks are digital on off on atari and ti.. just the ti uses one port for 2x and atari is 2 ports..

32kram is not a cart, it's a side-car box OR nanopeb/cf7 (side car) and or a perepheral expansion box.. lots of great pictures at mainbyte.. http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

Greg

5v is only required for auto-shooters and such.. joysticks are digital on off on atari and ti.. just the ti uses one port for 2x and atari is 2 ports..

32kram is not a cart, it's a side-car box OR nanopeb/cf7 (side car) and or a perepheral expansion box.. lots of great pictures at mainbyte.. http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

Greg

Oh good to know thanks!

There is an auction << HERE >> that has an Extended BASIC cartridge and a couple of other decent carts like Parsec, Video Chess and TI-Invaders (in case you ever want to build a Super Cart)... and a few others. It's a B.I.N. for $50 (shipping included).

There is an auction << HERE >> that has an Extended BASIC cartridge and a couple of other decent carts like Parsec, Video Chess and TI-Invaders (in case you ever want to build a Super Cart)... and a few others. It's a B.I.N. for $50 (shipping included).

Forget the games I wanna know about that "home financial decisions cart!". If it has graphs and pie charts I'm sure it will show me that my quarterly earns have gone towards software and hardware for my TI 99. :-D $50 bucks isn't to bad breaks down to a little over $4 a game. Super cart?

• Like 1

Super cart?

Let's hold off on that until you get your feet wet.... FWIW, IMHO it's the best cartridge in existence. It's basically an Editor/Assembler cartridge with an extra 8K of memory. However if you want to lean a little bit about it, << HERE >> is the info. I think you are wise to get the Extended BASIC cartridge first.

gallery_35324_1001_2178.jpg

Let's hold off on that until you get your feet wet.... FWIW, IMHO it's the best cartridge in existence. It's basically an Editor/Assembler cartridge with an extra 8K of memory. However if you want to lean a little bit about it, << HERE >> is the info. I think you are wise to get the Extended BASIC cartridge first.

gallery_35324_1001_2178.jpg

Oh that is very nice, but true I don't want to bite off more then I can chew at the moment. Looking at a few game lots on evil-bay currently hope I can scoop one up.