IGNORED

Who owns the rights to Imagic?

sku_u

I seem to recall that Activision, Imagic and Absolute all fell under the Mediagenic umbrella, and when Mediagenic went bankrupt, and the new Activision rose out of its ashes, I assume all the rights came with it.

But I also seem to recall getting corrected about that at one point, so now I'm not sure.

Best to hope Ken reads this thread and responds.

Ken forwarded me some information regarding Imagic and Activision does in fact own the Rights and Licenses to Imagic.

Curt

I appreciate the update Curt, I just wonder why Ken never stated so in plain language here on the boards; several people asked him several times (myself included) for clarification.

According to Ex-Imagic CEO, Imagic' Atari 2600 and Intellivision assets were sold to Activision in late 1984.

As for the Coleco rights, I'm not entirely sure. I can tell you this much though... "It ain't Telegames." As much as they might think they do. "They don't."

IBM PC rights were sold off to... "ironically".. Electronic Arts. (ie- Injured Engine, Etc.)

Of course, this was all done in hopes to try and pay off the remaning debt that the company owed.

Supposedly, there is still close to a six-figure debt remaining. I can't go too much deeper into detail about that. "Sorry."

Let's just say.. Imagic STILL DOES in-fact exist. But as very teenie tiny, smaller-than-a-midget entity.

Nope.... "They never declared bankruptcy." How 'bout that, follks?

As for Absolute Entertainment, they no longer exist, as you might of guessed. Absolute Entertainment is actually a Film company these days.

Ironically enough, Skyworks Technologies own the rights to all of the Absolute titles. .... "and we all know who they are." ;-)

I could go on and on about who owns what rights. I went through and contacted just about every 2600 Publisher out there... "or what's left of them, anyway."

There's alot of good stories out there waitin' to be heard. :)

Hang Tight and Ten!

I could go on and on about who owns what rights. I went through and contacted just about every 2600 Publisher out there... "or what's left of them, anyway."

I'd be very interested in hearing about this. I always wondered who ended up with the rights to what. Did any company's games end up as public domain?

Tempest

On the activision collection of atari 2600 games for PSone that came out a few years ago. It seems to me like ATLANTIS was on that disk???

Well, I hate to throw another rumor into this, but supposedly Activision only owns the rights to the three games on that compilation--Atlantis, Moonsweeper and Demon Attack--and NOT all of the Imagic library. (shrugs)

Witchfynde,

Yes. That's definitely a good rumor. That was thought to be the case for a very long time.

Again.. truth be told, The complete 2600 and Intellivision catalogs belong to Activision.

As to why the other titles weren't included in previous collections, that.. I'm not sure about.

My guess would be... "Nobody at Activision these days.. really knows a whole lot about the Activision on yester-year."

Maybe one or two people at best, besides me. :(

"That's pretty awful, eh?"

- Ken

Thanks Ken for shedding some light on the subject and giving us all some clarity. I'd love to hear about who owns what and if any of these companies are now officially public domain...someday. I'm sure there are some truly interesting stories there to be told.

My guess would be... "Nobody at Activision these days.. really knows a whole lot about the Activision on yester-year."

Better one retro-gamer that none at all! I'm sure without you Activision Anthology would have fallen to the wayside, and I'm glad it didn't. :D

There's alot of good stories out there waitin' to be heard. :)

I hope someday I see you at a con where you can tell them to us all. ;) Thanks for the updates Ken!

Wasn't he the one at the CGE2002 activision panel in the audience that kept being the one that seemingly asked every other question? ;)...

gavv

Witchfynde,

Yes. That's definitely a good rumor. That was thought to be the case for a very long time.  

Again.. truth be told, The complete 2600 and Intellivision catalogs belong to Activision.

As to why the other titles weren't included in previous collections, that.. I'm not sure about.

"That's pretty awful, eh?"

- Ken

does that mean that dragonfire,cosmic ark, trick shot,fire fighter,fathom, etc etc etc etc

will all get to be on the 'extended dance mix' of AAnthology that weren't on the PS2 AAnth?

gavv

Wasn't he the one at the CGE2002 activision panel in the audience that kept being the one that seemingly asked every other question? ;)...

gavv

Yeah, those were some great questions :!: That was the type of stuff you didn't hear anywhere else. I wish the video tape would have got all of that :sad: It stopped right before Ken started asking his questions.

According to Ex-Imagic CEO, Imagic' Atari 2600 and Intellivision assets were sold to Activision in late 1984.

Let's just say.. Imagic STILL DOES in-fact exist. But as very teenie tiny, smaller-than-a-midget entity.

Nope.... "They never declared bankruptcy." How 'bout that, follks?

You've reminded me of maybe what the "fallacy" in the theory I posted was... Mediagenic didn't actually OWN any of the Imagic or Absolute stuff, but only licensed them -- is that right?

Funny though... If Imagic still exists, but they sold off they're 2600 & Intellivision assets, do they at least own their assets for other systems?

Witchfynde,

Huh. Maybe they're seeing how well the feedback is going to be before issuing an Imagic compilation or two. Sure is confusing though...sheesh!