IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

did you test ecs disable with championship tennis as that is the one game that is completely incompatible?

Appears to work just fine. Was able to get to the menu and start placing players on the playfield. I've never actually played it before, though, so I don't know how to get much further than that.

Tested on an Intv 1 w/ ECS + Intellivoice attached.

Appears to work just fine. Was able to get to the menu and start placing players on the playfield. I've never actually played it before, though, so I don't know how to get much further than that.

Tested on an Intv 1 w/ ECS + Intellivoice attached.

championship tennis works if you got that far. :)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

intvnut has mentioned a couple times that I should put some kind of update here for the UI application. Finally got around to it, and wanted to show something cool with live capture of the hardware and UI at the same time. Sadly, my lazy google-fu failed to locate a free app that can screen record *and capture hardware accelerated video*. If you want (and intvnut is OK with it), I can put a capture of the hardware in action, too.

The attached video shows "LUI" (Locutus User Interface -- or should it be the LTO Flash! User Interface) on my 9+ year old Windows xp machine. It starts with a pre-populated LTO Flash! cartridge (from other testing). At launch, LUI detects the connected device. Next, you see one of the features: to pull the layout and ROMs from LTO Flash! hardware to the local machine.

I wanted to also show "Download & Play" since you can have a ROM in your list, not copied down to LTO Flash!, and just immediately download and run it on the console, similar to the Intellicart. This is really useful for development, when you have your LTO Flash! connected to both your PC and your Intellivision via the USB cable.

You'll notice that the "Download & Play" and other parts of the UI become unavailable depending on if you're connected to an Intellivision that is powered up, or powered up and playing a game. Obviously, LUI can't tell if your LTO Flash! isn't plugged into an Intellivision or that it is, but the console is not powered on. Hence the reported console power state is "On" or "Unknown".

There are quite a few other features not shown (firmware update, backup, adding ROMs, etc.). These are pretty boring actually, since you just browse for files. To add ROMs to the list on the left hand side, you can also just drag them in from Explorer. Similarly, you drag ROMs from the list on the left into the menu layout on the right. You create folders using the 'new folder' button. Renaming and rearranging items works like you'd expect in Explorer. (Or Finder, on Mac.)

The Mac version is pretty much the same. There are a few differences between the UIs, as you'd expect.

Since this is a development version, the dialog box you see after the 'sync from device' is uglier than the standard one. During development, everyone gets the "error dialog" even when there isn't one. ;)

For reasons unknown to me, .swf files aren't allowed to be directly uploaded, so download the attached .zip.

LTOFlash-xp-demo.zip

• Like 2

I copied it to the desktop and dragged it to my Firefox browser and it played...

Any hope for a 'soft release' with in field updates?

I know INTVNut is hugely busy at work or this would have come out last summer.

What about the GUI? From what I see in intvsteve's recent comments, it is still in progress.

The GUI is connected to all the features available in the firmware at this time. I should clarify that "features not shown" are "not demonstrated in the video". If they are mentioned, they are implemented, though. And a lot is implemented that's not mentioned, either.

Like any software, much as I wish it didn't, it will have bugs. I'm in a bug-fixing phase right now - one high severity (Mac), one medium (xp). There are always more features to add, tweaks to make, etc. My hope is to not be the gating factor on release… at least by much. We haven't found any "showstopper" problems in LUI or the hardware / firmware yet.

One could make the argument that as long as the UI lets you put ROMs on the hardware, it's "done enough" to release. :P It already does that and quite a bit more.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 3

I should have seen this coming :-)

There was a Futurama episode where Zoidberg's uncle asked Bender if he could guarantee his play would win an Oscar. Bender's reply: "I can guarantee you anything you want!"

Production carts have been manufactured already. The LTO Flash! units aren't a small prototype run. Of course it has a chance of coming out this year.

I should have seen this coming :-)

There was a Futurama episode where Zoidberg's uncle asked Bender if he could guarantee his play would win an Oscar. Bender's reply: "I can guarantee you anything you want!"

Admittedly, I was being a bit of a smart-ass. Also, I didn't have much time to make a post as I was at work. (Actually, I'm back at work now, but without all the coworkers around to see me type a post on AtariAge.)

I have a couple beta carts out there right now, and a couple more will filter out in the near future. I'm not yet to the baseline set of features required for release, but I'm not very far. Certain aspects of the firmware cannot be easily upgraded in-field, so I want those in and solid before I ship. The existing beta boards that are out there will need to come back to the "factory" to get a production firmware load.

We've been running at production clock rates and baud rates for awhile now. It's been a long time since I've seen a real hardware glitch. The ECS-disable and Inty2 bypass are all clean and solid. JLP Flash savegame support is in and solid. Just crossing the remaining i's and dotting the remaining t's. ;)

And also, there are some other details to attend to as well that are part of the complete package, such as labels and manuals and such. That shouldn't take long, but it all takes time.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...