IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

is there a down load stating updates or you just download under what windows your using like the first time..

Thanks G

Just download for the OS you did before.

The download is always just the most recent one. Since the app is so small, and I haven't learned WIX, and I'm not going to drop a few Gs to buy a pro version of InstallShield, the installer is just the whole app.

• Like 1

Thanks - that pointed me in the right direction :-)

I've forgotten that my ROMs are stored on a NAS in the network - copied them to the SSD drive where the program is stored - now it's as fast as usual!

This does actually touch on an implementation detail that we discussed quite a lot during dev and test...

BORING DETAILS ALERT

The UI does try to detect if files are on an 'ephemeral' source like a thumb drive or network share. If so, then it makes a local copy of the ROM into <Documents>/LTO Flash/ROMs. However, it treats that backup as just that -- a backup to only be used if the original source cannot be located.

Another aspect of the app is that it's pretty paranoid about checking to see if anything about a ROM has changed, so it can determine if it needs to re-copy the file to the cart during the update. So, it can hit the file to checksum it -- again a slow operation if you've got a sluggish SMB connection to a NAS (as is the case in this household).

The suggestion to *always* make a copy of the ROM in the LTO Flash/ROMs directory, and *always* refer to that one has been made more than once. There are pros and cons to both of these approaches, and, at least for now, the implementation still favors using the files at their original location.

In any case, glad this had a straightforward explanation!

Here's my (belated) feedback on the LTO software. Some of these might not be an issue in the latest version.

1. Automatically add manuals (my #1 request)
  2. Add an easy way to rebuild menu layout from PC's directory structure (currently only does this on first directory add).
  3. Add Long and Short title to left side of the software
  4. Changing title in the left side then clicking send-to-LTO, does not update the long name or short name on the LTO. Note: manual drag-n-drop from left side to right side adds a 2nd copy of the file with updated name. The previous file needs to be manually removed.
  5. Be able to name or add a comment to backups.
  6. Can not set the "Use Bankswapping feature". Is this needed?

1. Auto-Add Manuals: This has come up before as well. On the 'requested features' pile. Timetable: TBD
  2. Rebuild from Directory Structure: This will need a good round of thinking, discussion, and consideration. For example -- do you mean completely rebuild the entire menu layout from scratch? Incrementally apply changes? Et. al.
  3. Long and Short names in ROM list: I *believe* that internally, there is the possibility of such a thing. It's also possible that it's not submitted yet - but I can say with certainty it's not in the UI, even in the experimental phase. (see list of excuses below)
  4. Changing title in ROM list should change in menu: This is another fallout from the compartmentalized design of the software. Until *very* late in the game, for example, there simply was no notion of long vs. short name in the ROM list. (See #3) Also, there are questions that would need answering, such as: What if you've added the same ROM to numerous submenus and manually renamed them in the menu, and you then rename the "master" ROM in the ROM list? Do we need a UI to ask you which ones to rename? Only rename the ones with exactly the same name? et. al.
  5. Provide meaningful info for backups: What? Someone's using that!? :P Yeah, I actually made a TODO for that a *LONG* time ago and as you see, it's still TODO. There are actually a lot of things regarding backup / restore / package for new computer that I'd like to do, but time.
  6. Cannot set "Use Bankswitching feature": I don't think I have a UI exposed for that... It's not needed. The origins of the ROM list and its UI in particular go back to 2011/2012 and a totally unrelated project. As we worked through features for the UI, and my understanding of some of these things (hopefully) improved, I decided to trim out some of the noise. There are two roles for the "Features":

(a) Descriptive information about a game

(b) Important information used by LTO Flash! for its compatibility modes and operation.

Things like bank switching are *descriptive* of the game's technology from the UI's perspective, and not used by LTO Flash! Other information, such as Intellivision II / ECS / JLP requirements, *do* intersect with compatibility settings and behavior on LTO Flash! So, I tried to cull some of the "fluff" and tried to make sure the most important aspects of game "features" -- namely the ones that can have an impact on playing them in hardware -- were doing the right thing. It's easy to spend a *lot* of time tinkering in that part of the UI (both as a developer and as a user!).

EDIT: List of Excuses

Nobody really cares about those.

Does anyone know if there is anyone creating pre-made controller overlays for the games please? It would be really useful now this has been released. I am sure others would also be interested.

I had previously been given a link to buy these, but they had sold out\not available and no reply to my E-Mail regarding them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LTO Flash! Unleash the Intelligence in your Intellivision

LTO Flash! unlocks the power of your Intellivision video game system. It places your entire game catalog at your fingertips in a single, powerful cartridge. It also opens the door to exciting possibilities for new games to come.

Easy To Use

LTO Flash! connects to your Windows or Macintosh computer via a high speed USB 2.0 link. An intuitive graphical interface organizes your game library however you like. Simply drag and drop games into folders, sync it up, and voila! You're ready to go!

Have a large game collection? No problem! Group games into as many folders as you like, in whatever order you like. Want to highlight your favorites? Color code your games to make them easy to spot. Long game titles got you down? LTO Flash! keeps track of the game's full name as well as a shorter nick name to keep the clutter down. Want to keep your games' manuals at your finger tips? Download them along side your games and you'll have them handy wherever you go.

Got a game you're just itching to try? Or maybe you're writing a new game and you just want to test it? Download & Play lets you try it out with a single click, without even unplugging LTO Flash! from your Intellivision system.

Set it and Forget it!

Some games aren't compatible with every system or peripheral. LTO Flash! won't let that get in your way. It detects and works around common incompatibilities, to let play on the Intellivision II and ECS that couldn't before.

LTO Flash! can also bypass the ECS title screen for games that don't need it. Now you don't need to unplug or fiddle with anything to play your favorite 3rd party game. Just point, click and play, all in a flash!

Power for the Future

LTO Flash! provides ONE MEGABYTE of RAM and a high speed USB serial link for new game development. New games can communicate with your computer via USB, opening new possibilities for online entertainment. Games can also save high scores and other game state in its generous on-board 32MB flash. LTO Flash! supports all Intellicart, Cuttle Cart 3 and JLP based games.

Specifications

1MB RAM, organized as 512K x 16 bits. Fully available to new games via bank switching.

32MB on board flash. No need to open the cartridge to change an SD card.

High speed USB 2.0 serial connection. Supports speeds up to 1Mbit/sec. Serial port available to new game software.

Intuitive Windows and Macintosh graphics user interface.

Field upgradable. When new features become available, an upgrade is a click away.

JLP Flash support. Games can save up to 192K bytes of information in the on-board flash.

JLP Acceleration support. Gives new game writers an edge.

Compatibility

Compatible with all ROMs from Intellivision Lives! and Intellivision Rocks!, all Intellicart / CC3 ROM images, and homebrews developed with SDK-1600. Compatible with all Intellivision compatible systems, including Intellivision II, Sears Super Video Arcade, TandyVision One, INTV System III, and Intellivision SuperPro System. Compatible with the Intellivision Entertainment Computer System (ECS) and Intellivoice.

PRICE: $119 US plus shipping and handling

AVAILABILITY: The product will debut at Classic Gaming Expo and should be available at the same time via mail order from the Left Turn Only Order Page here:

http://www.leftturnonly.info/

THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF COPIES YOU MAY PURCHASE!
Are these for sale? How do they work? sd or software and internal flash? Went to the order site and found no info on them. Shipping is 20 bucks to canada? Money order? I will pass. Paypal and 8 bucks max to canada is reasonable.

Are these for sale? How do they work? sd or software and internal flash? Went to the order site and found no info on them. Shipping is 20 bucks to canada? Money order? I will pass. Paypal and 8 bucks max to canada is reasonable.

When was the last time you checked to see the cost for shipping between the US and Canada?

https://ircalc.usps.com/Mobile/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=12&dpb=0&mdt=2016/12/23%2008:00&dvi=112

$24.95 flat rate shipping

1st class package is about $16.00 USD.

Or you can make your own. $8.00 won't get you to the border. Your own country screws you on postage. $8.00 shipping across the continental US is very reasonable.

They work very well. Not SD, but on board Flash...hence the name. Install the software on Windows or Mac, add the roms and update via the usb cable. My shipment to Canada was well packed in a shipping box and well padded. The US postal service must have forgot to consult Canadians when it raised international shipping rates last time.

Are these for sale? [...]. Shipping is 20 bucks to canada? Money order? I will pass. Paypal and 8 bucks max to canada is reasonable.

They are for sale direct from me. I have several in stock here, and I'm building a new batch. I've been fairly busy here up until recently with an EOY rush at $DAYJOB that finally ended on Monday.

Just send a check or MO to the PO Box on the website, along with your shipping info and email address, and I'll happily send you one. I've sent several to Canada so far and have several happy customers there.

I don't accept PayPal because of PayPal's rules:

PayPal also prohibits transactions for devices that allow domestic video game consoles to play back-up or import versions of video games, including mod chips, game enhancers, and boot disks.

Some resellers do accept PayPal for LTO Flash!, and that's their choice, not mine. I only have one major item in stock, whereas other resellers carry a broader array of products.

As for shipping costs: I currently lose money on shipping on average, since I ship Priority Mail whenever possible. I had set the shipping rates you see on the website, and then the USPS jacked them up on me. I haven't raised my rates to compensate, though. I wanted to stick to my target total price.

At $139 USD (shipping included to Canada), LTO Flash! is still less expensive than the Cuttle Cart 3 was ($150 + shipping). Heck, it's even less expensive than the Intellicart ($99 + shipping) if you adjust for inflation. ($99 then is $136 today, at least in USD. Then add shipping.)

I really am trying to provide a good value at this price.

You asked:

How do they work? sd or software and internal flash?

They have 32MB of on-board flash built in. That's enough to hold the entire Intellivision catalog several times over, including homebrews. The flash has a custom wear-leveled, corruption-resistant filesystem that should outlast any Intellivision systems still running.

I know some folks have expressed concern about flash lifetime. The flash itself is good for 2,000,000 erase/write cycles minimum, and much more if it isn't full. It has a 20yr expected retention time, and you can always re-download ROMs if, after 20 years, one of them does show corruption. All ROM images are protected by CRCs, and the GUI provides backup/restore functionality.

You download games to the cart via microUSB cable and a straightforward GUI application, available for both Windows and Mac. You can read more about the process in the user manual. (Online web-quality PDF here. High quality glossy printed manual comes in the box. I mention this as the images in the PDF aren't nearly as crisp as the printed manual.)

If you have further questions, let me know.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 6

Shipping costs to the USA via Canada Post were about $14 four years ago......shipping costs have only gone up and up and up since then.

US Postal Service USED to be cheaper but they have greatly increased their international shipping rates recently. To get a package from the USA in Canada for $8 is no longer reasonable.

When shipping product from Canada to Canada, I found that sometimes it was more expensive than going to the USA. For example, Hamilton to B.C.

Some people think that lack of an SD card is an issue. It isn't. The GUI is drag and drop if you want it to be and allows for fine tuning your menu system.

On an SD based cartridge, you have to remove the SD card from the cartridge, put it in some sort of reader/writer on the PC and then transfer the files every time. With LTO Flash! I simply plug the cartridge into a USB cable and drag and drop to the program which is available for WIndows and Mac (not limiting at all considering that most people use Windows or a Mac).

If your computer is near, you can keep the cartridge plugged in an instantly send any rom to the Intellivision directly. A feature you can't get with an SD based cartridge.

Check out these videos to see how easy the GUI is to use:

There was a complaint that it didn't auto alphabetize the roms during drag and drop. That feature was added in October. The GUI is continuing to be improved, and one of the best features of LTO Flash! is that you can buy it now!

I LUV my LTO flash!!!! Easy to use that's for sure and now I can play Christmas Carol for free ( Thanks DZ) :) and what other homebrews I missed on ...

Worth the price in shipping to Canada !!!

Thanks again Dave(oops Joe) for providing this great product.

Cheers!!

Edited by m-crew

Thanks for all the responses and info.

Sounds like a great deal afterall.

This is fully tested with no bugs is what we are saying. I ask just so I know what I would be getting so I will not complain later if there is known problems.

Should maybe get for my 40th birthday in January.

I always sent money paypal as a gift and added a couple bucks on top to cover any other inconveniences.

Looks like a great product!

Thanks for all the responses and info.

Sounds like a great deal afterall.

This is fully tested with no bugs is what we are saying. I ask just so I know what I would be getting so I will not complain later if there is known problems.

Should maybe get for my 40th birthday in January.

I always sent money paypal as a gift and added a couple bucks on top to cover any other inconveniences.

Looks like a great product!

You can never guarantee 'no bugs' but it is a rock solid product and the firmware is easily updated with the GUI. It was tested for a long time. I know, I helped.

New tricks and improved GUI are planned and ongoing in the product

Edited by Games For Your Intellivision

Just send a check or MO to the PO Box on the website, along with your shipping info and email address, and I'll happily send you one. I've sent several to Canada so far and have several happy customers there.

If you are based in Canada, you MUST send an 'International' money order. Please make sure that it is in US funds and ensure the person that you are buying it from ensures that Joe can cash the money order.

I know that an American sending me a check (cheque) to my Canadian American funds account could be cashed, but I don't know about going the other way.

If you are waiting until January, Level Up may have stock by then. However, I'd not wait.......less time to play with the LTO Flash!

Edited by Games For Your Intellivision

Just go to your bank and ask for an International Money order for the US funds amount, cash able at a US bank and they will make it painless. Do NOT get a money order from Canada Post...they charge extra fees for the money order, your personal bank shouldn't. Scotia Bank doesn't.

Look at it this way, it is a retro system, experience the retro payment method at least once as well.

PayPal also prohibits transactions for devices that allow domestic video game consoles to play back-up or import versions of video games, including mod chips, game enhancers, and boot disks.

I tried to buy the LTO FLASH but I gave up. Paypal is not accept. Level Up and Retrogameshop do not shipping to Brazil. Western Union do not send money to P.O BOX, the seller needs to get the money in one of "collection points" near to his residence (I did not like this solution, my english not very good to understand this transaction). Man... How much difficulty!!! if HIVE has the same problem with Paypal...

I think that will wait a brazilian friend living in USA buy the LTO or HIVE and I will order one to me.