IGNORED

Best IR remote for ps3?

godslabrat

I'm considering moving to a high-end programmable remote control for my tv setup. The hitch is that I use my ps3 as a DVD/bluray player. I'd need something that would accept infrared commands. Ideally some sort of ir sensor on a usb stick. Does such a thing exist? If so, how reliable are they?

I have the Sony PS3 remote ($16 at Best Buy) but haven't tried it yet. Looks fully featured.

Any investment much beyond that, I'd think money would be better spent on a dedicated blu-ray player.

That's what I've been using for a while. Truth be told, I love this remote. But since it's Bluetooth, and everything else in the world is IR, it's time to bend to reality.

Logitech sells PS3 adapters for their Harmony remotes. The reviews for it are very good. I have a Harmony One that I love, but I don't use my PS3 for DVDs/BDs so I haven't purchased the adapter.

Wasn't planning on using a Harmony, but this thing IS cheaper than I was expecting.

A dedicated BluRay player isn't out of the question, but I'm trying to consolidate boxes.

Thanks for the pointers, guys.

How about using your phone or tablet as a fancy remote? I use an app called MediaControl for my Oppo stuff, but I bet there's a plethora of other universal/compatible apps that include the PS3...

oh, forgot to ask... why are you looking for an IR remote over Bluetooth? Does the PS3 even have IR capability? I assumed the official remote 'was' IR... didn't look at it close enough. :lol:

How about using your phone or tablet as a fancy remote? I use an app called MediaControl for my Oppo stuff, but I bet there's a plethora of other universal/compatible apps that include the PS3...

oh, forgot to ask... why are you looking for an IR remote over Bluetooth? Does the PS3 even have IR capability? I assumed the official remote 'was' IR... didn't look at it close enough. :lol:

Ehhh.. okay, I'll go through all my logic here, because BELIEVE ME, I've considered every single approach to simplifying my gaming/home theater setup. The impetus for this was that I don't want everyone else in the house to be afraid to touch the equipment because I'm the only one who knows how everything works.

Why use an IR remote over Bluetooth? Simplicity. Believe me, I love the bluetooth remote. BT is a better technology by far. In terms of wireless communications, IR is anchient and dumb. However, it is dirt cheap and everything uses it (except the PS3, I guess). Sometimes, you just have to bend to reality, and the reality is that it'll be easier to make my PS3 run on IR than it will be to upgrade everything else to Bluetooth.

Why not use my phone or tablet? This is still in the running. My iPhone 4S is going to be replaced this fall, which means I'll have it laying around. My problem has been that "remote control" apps seem to be too ambitious. Either they want too much for the remote control attachment (absurd when all you need is an IR emitter and the phone is doing all the heavy lifting), or they use in-app purchases to nickel-and-dime you to death.

So... not yet finding a great iOS solution, plus having a general preference for remotes with physical buttons, I decided to focus on a smart remote from URC. Something that can actually learn remote commands (as opposed to choosing from preprogrammed ones) and one that supports macros would probably fit the bill. And yes, I may ultimately downsize the PS3 to a standalone BluRay player... but first I'd like to watch how things with the PS4 and XB1 play out.