IGNORED

MAME Stuff

Well after this thread I ordered 2 Happ 'Ultimate' 8-way sticks off Amazon. Yellow for me, green for my wife. I just swapped out my side with the yellow stick and it was an experience.

First, I had the wrong size socket to get the nuts off of the existing stick. No biggie except I didn't notice since it butted up against the control module thingy. That led to taking the sides off in order to make room for a wrench. Ugh. Bone headed move.

After I got those off I easily removed the old stick and base. No issue there. I made sure to label where all the wires went and that caused no issue. Next I stuck in the new base and slid the bolts back through. I immediately got them all stuck as they were just a touch too large for the new plastic holes in the base. As the bolts have a smooth top I spent a about a half hour destroying my finger tips trying to address my error. I don't really have a lot of tools since I don't really do much hardware work. I eventually got the bolts out and drilled the plastic holes in the joystick base a touch wider. About 5 minutes later I had the entire thing re-assembled.

Inserting the stick is always an experience. I've previously gone between 4-way and 8-way on the x-arcade sticks, so I had done that before. If anyone has any advice on putting the clip on the bottom that holds it together, I'm all ears. I got it on but it sucked.

After plugging it in I just had to re-set one wire that I hadn't quite put on all the way and I was rockin some Mortal Kombat. The feel is quite a bit smoother and I think more precise than the default X-Arcade sticks. I still have the other on to A/B. I felt much more in tune with Raiden. That might just be the pain in my fingers smoothing it out, though.

EDIT: actually the x-arcade stick base is larger than the Happ one so that might have caused the socket issue.

Edited by omegadot

One day, when I have the time/money/energy, I will get down to building a MAME cabinet. And when I do, I want to set the controls up like this guy did -

http://www.beersmith.com/mame/

I can't stand the idea of having 20 worthless buttons/controls around me while I'm trying to play a game and having to reach over/around something that isn't part of the game I'm playing at the moment. This modular idea is the shit, it's like having a giant Atari 2600 with full-size swappable controllers. It would cover everything, no matter how specific. To paraphrase Lt. Coffey, I'm gonna have to take steps.

This is absolute genius!!!! Perfect for one, such as myself, with space constraints. I must have this set up.