IGNORED

Happy 1050 Front Panel Switch/LED Install Instructions

Triads

Ive been looking for the instructions to add the switches & LED to the front panel of the 1050. I already have the scanned hardware & software manuals from Happy, as well as Atarimax's version which say nothing about the front panel. I would think there is instructions and possibly a template for drilling the front plate... If there is such an instruction manual, can someone post it here or maybe direct me to a site which may have it?

thanks again..

Edited by Triads

Hello,

Here's a picture of what I've done.

The white button is a reset.

Display is for a Speedy update. (The German version of a Happy)

The small PCB has been glued in place with a "hotglue-gun". But Epoxy works as well.

To find out where to drill, I've used some " masking tape" that's also used to protect parts while painting.

But a drawing on a piece of paper, glued with some scotch-tape also works well.

BR/

Guus Assmann

post-14026-0-76472400-1407831295_thumb.jpg

The switch Module you are referring to is called "The 1050 Controller" and was originally sold by Happy computers but later sold by others. It is not available now. You may find some 1050 for sale on E-bay with the controller installed but the price is quite high. some even with pics of the board.

You've asked a good question. The Controller (bottom) Write-Protect + LED or (at least a functional WP switch) is pretty easy.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/105724-1050-write-protect-bypass-drive-id-re-location/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/143931-1050-write-protect-bypass-switch/

Somewhere here, I have general instructions for adding a switch -- I'll keep looking.

The Controller (Top) Happy fast/slow switch may be more of a problem.

Hope these help.

-Larry

Thanks Larry for the response, and happy hunting.. ;)

If the Happy Controller was sold separately there would be a manual with it of some kind, right? I understand that if it did come with some sort of template to drill the holes in the faceplate it was more then likely destroyed drilling thru it. Someone out there has to have the rest of the manual.

Triads,

You are correct that the controller was sold as a separate product by Happy Computers. There is an installation manual, but I don't recall any templates. I believe the instructions simply gave you the measurements (from the top, if i recall correctly) to place the two holes. As I remember it, my pals and I would make a light mark on the plastic at the points indicated by the instructions and then hold the switch/LED assembly up to the piece to be drilled to ensure that the posts would align correctly.

Just applied the "measure twice, cut once" philosophy. Never had a significant error crop up.

Someone must have a copy of the instructions. I am sure that i do, but those would be buried in a box or bag somewhere in my parent's basement. Sorry.

There were two templates supplied with the controller (spare in case of damage, etc.). I never saved those templates. Best I can do for you is to measure the location of my front panel if you wish. As Kylev says, it isn't really critical -- unless you are mounting a pcb in that space.with the switches sticking through the front cover.

Here are a couple of related articles (the WP switch is the one I mentioned earlier).

I find the drive select switch very handy, although I always set up just D1: D2:.

Atari 1050 Drive Select.doc

Atari 1050 Write-Protect Switch.doc

mm good one her on happy depends if you have a genuine happy of copy and ther was load of copys even ones done on nicly eched bord that looked real a pic of front would be nice

as there used to be a write protec stystem as well used

as well as a version i had seen a few of wich used a eprom with swiitchable happy/810 archiver/happy/and stbd 1050 os amd 3 wat swich would swich between difent os in drive