IGNORED

Air Raid Flipper Breaks Even

boxpressed

This lot from July included an Air Raid. Lots of people noticed. Winning bidder got the lot for $1802.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1713849073881?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171384907388&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Air Raid sold today for $2125. (Previous auction for it didn't meet the reserve.)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1513723311661?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=151372331166&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Less 13% eBay and PayPal fees, a lot of trouble for nothing. Well, $40 or so.

• Like 4

So what? I don't understand why so many people on this forum try to make it their business

when someone they don't know in the slightest is selling something to try and make a buck

just cause it's atari related. I mean do you track down all the car sales on ebay and post

about them on a car forum too? Or perhaps vintage lamps on a vintage lamps forum?

It's not your stuff and has nothing to do with you so just give it up.

• Like 3

So what? I don't understand why so many people on this forum try to make it their business

when someone they don't know in the slightest is selling something to try and make a buck

just cause it's atari related. I mean do you track down all the car sales on ebay and post

about them on a car forum too? Or perhaps vintage lamps on a vintage lamps forum?

Relax. Welcome back.

At this point, it is safe to say that Air Raid is more of an investment than a game…and a bad investment at that. Consider this:

-The ROM is readily available for emulation

-Reproduction carts are readily available for $20 or less

-The gameplay is rather horrible

-The loose cart sells regularly over $1200 and upwards of $2000 (and the market price has completely flattened out)

I guess that if you feel the need to own a "holy grail", then have at it…from what I have seen though, this particular game flips from one person to another more than most. It's like the hot-potato of the Atari 2600 scene. I would rather have a half decent game like Malagai, and it cost me a hell of a lot less…considering it is also an R10. Also, with Malagai, you rarely see them on eBay (aside from the one which has been sitting forever with a high BIN).

I have to wonder…with all of the packing and shipping back and forth of this game, how long will it be before the elements and mishandling of these carts leaves them as nothing but a pretty shell. I mean, bit rot is going to get the best of these things eventually anyhow…all of the excessively hot postal trucks and games of "postal football" with these packages can't be helping matters.

• Like 2

I have to wonder…with all of the packing and shipping back and forth of this game, how long will it be before the elements and mishandling of these carts leaves them as nothing but a pretty shell. I mean, bit rot is going to get the best of these things eventually anyhow…all of the excessively hot postal trucks and games of "postal football" with these packages can't be helping matters.

Indeed, like many other rare games, it uses an EPROM.

• Like 2

It cost me nearly $2,000 to get in on this frenzy:

1- PC $1200
2- External HDD to hold the rom $100
3- Monthly broadband + electricity fee $30
4- Speakers, Monitor, other misc PC support/hardware costs $400
5- An hour's worth of my time to download the rom and set up the emulator just right $250

I'll be damned.. I'm going to go play Air Raid and get my money's worth!

• Like 3

Purchased by a member here(wonder007) I believe it was 32k

He got the only one that is known to be complete after that one and it was more, but I am not going to post how much. ;)

He brought it over to my house, along with some other crazy items, some stuff people don't even know about. LOL

He will have a museum one day, but the city he lives in has some strict property laws. Something I never quite understood. Why can't you build whatever the hell you want on your property?

EDIT: Forgot the picture of the old one.

AirRaidBoxRemains.JPG

• Like 2

I like the heads up and do not know why you could possibly get angry when someone posts E-pay auction results. What's the big deal about posting auction results? Seems like a stupid thing to get upset about.
  • Like 1

This is an auction forum after all! I think it is better discussion than some posts here. It's rewarding to be able to say you've owned something as rare as Air Raid, even if for only a little while. After paying $1800 for it, I don't believe anyone would really expect to 'flip it to make a buck' but it certainly is a relief to 'break even' after spending nearly 2 grand on some old Atari games...

Shawn Sr., on 12 Aug 2014 - 6:58 PM, said:

Now if boxpressed was tracking car and lamp sales here your post might actually have made some sort of sense on some odd level :P

Are you the flipper ? lol

I think the bottom has dropped out on Air Raid. There was a big frenzy, beginning with the first box that was found, and was subsequently continued with more boxes found and the infamous first manual. Loose games changed hands as well in the frenzy. IMO, as Benny stated, Air Raid is a bad investment. Anyone who bought one that was sold during aforementioned frenzy will likely not recoup that money anytime soon.

• Like 2

I think the bottom has dropped out on Air Raid. There was a big frenzy, beginning with the first box that was found, and was subsequently continued with more boxes found and the infamous first manual. Loose games changed hands as well in the frenzy. IMO, as Benny stated, Air Raid is a bad investment. Anyone who bought one that was sold during aforementioned frenzy will likely not recoup that money anytime soon.

Thank goodness! I was tired of putting useless handles on my commons to add value anyway!

• Like 2