IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Bundle w. GC adapter

cimerians

It looks like its up for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M35YLLY/?tag=kotakuamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|t.co[type|link[postId|1619418259[asin|B00M35YLLY[authorId|5856732741879800112

Anyone know if this will be manufactured indefinitely or will the controller and adapter become hard to find by next summer?

It's the same bundle available for pre-order from GameStop and Toy's R Us and all are charging the same price. Whether it will remain in stock at any of them is up for debate as several bundles (such as the Wind Waker Wii U and Mario Kart 8 Wii U) have disappeared from shelves shortly after release. If I were a betting man looking for some quick cash, I'd buy several of these bundles, wait a month, then list them on eBay for several hundred dollars each.

Hori is also (supposedly) making several different Smash Bros. controllers for the game.

Hori is also (supposedly) making several different Smash Bros. controllers for the game.

There are also those licensed wired GameCube lookalike gamepads done up in Mario themes that are coming from PDP. I believe they plug into a Wiimote like a Classic Controller.

PDP-Wired-Fight-Pad-for-Wii-U-Mario_01-6

Are there any details yet about the GameCube adapter? I really hope they don't do something foolish here and just support Super Smash Brothers with limited or even no support for anything else.

I'd like to be able to use my WaveBird in any Wii U game that has Pro Controller support. And ideally although I can't imagine it happening, using this adapter, GameCube controllers would also be recognized as Wii Classic Controllers when booted into Wii mode.

A single solution for a Wii U gamepad would be great.

Edited by Atariboy

as awesome, innovative, and revolutionary as the tablet controller was supposed to be,

Nintendo sure are keen on helping people avoid having to use it.

We ARE talking about a fighting game that is generally played with four people in a local setting. This move makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

This game looks horrible! Wanted to buy but after watching the video it looks terrible def not going to buy. Too bad it wasnt more first person and 3d looking. A 2d barely side scrolling with a 3d background with obnoxiously repetitive and tiring moves is so 2000. Nothing to see here..

Plus promoting obsolete controllers?? Ok I will take 4 GC wavebirds nintendo.. what dont have them??? Then shut up about this adapter thats useless unless the new buyer goes to ebay to make it usefull.

Edit. Ok lools as your saying ninyendo makes wavebirds and gcn controllers now??

A wired controller in 2014? Really?

What will they think of next unsliced bread?

Edited by Jinks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news on the GameCube controller adapter front. :)

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html

This adapter will allow you to connect your GameCube controller to the Nintendo Wii or Wii U. Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii or Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.

My Wavebird just suddenly got even more useful.

I wonder though how well the GCN controller will substitute for some Wii U Pro Controller enabled releases. There's just not enough buttons there. Missing are select, home, the clickable analog sticks (Which I didn't even know had this feature), and a shoulder button.

I never encountered one that needed all of this, but presumably, there's a few games out there that wouldn't really translate well.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, that stinks. Saves me $20, at least.

I'll give Mayflash my money instead. All I really miss it with now that I largely play my Wii games on my Wii U is with Mario Kart Wii and my N64 downloads anyways. For everything else, my Pro Controller, Classic Controller, and Classic Controller Pro suffice.

Dangit, they got me all giddy and excited:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/10/nintendo_confirms_gamecube_controller_adapter_will_have_more_use_than_just_super_smash_bros

...And now this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/10/turns_out_the_gamecube_controller_adapter_wont_be_compatible_with_other_wii_u_software

I was hoping to be able to use my Game Cube to SNES adapter to play the Wii virtual console games I transferred over...

:_( :_( :_( :_( :_( :_( :_(

So those Hori pads probably don't work with it then, huh?

I had a Hori pad once. My house got burglarised in 2006 right around the time the Wii came out. eStarland was in the process of liquidating stock at the time. I could have replaced it at the time for $20. Now they're $100+ collectors items. Where was Captain Hindsight when I needed him?

However, this:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=31

Paired with this:

9366930869_e5cb43ea9a.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157634800361528/

would make the ultimate VC Arcade experience. Too bad I won't be able to use it on Wii-U. Still makes a kickass Game Boy Player controller though...

Edited by stardust4ever

While it would've been nice to use the excellent (And now sadly, discontinued) Retroport adapters with the Wii U, Mayflash makes a NES/SNES adapter that allows those controllers to be used as Wii Classic Controllers.

Doing that, you could use your SuperNes controllers on the Wii U. And their GameCube adapter does similarly with GameCube controllers (And should work with the Hori digital gamepad).

Since Nintendo isn't going to provide the solution I'm looking for, I'll support these guys instead.

Tell that to people who bought the Bundle with the Adapter thinking it will work with Wii U Games

They can still cancel their order, can't they? They don't come out for a number of weeks and any reputable retailer should allow the cancellation of a preorder.

Edited by Atariboy

While it would've been nice to use the excellent (And now sadly, discontinued) Retroport adapters with the Wii U, Mayflash makes a NES/SNES adapter that allows those controllers to be used as Wii Classic Controllers.

Doing that, you could use your SuperNes controllers on the Wii U. And their GameCube adapter does similarly with GameCube controllers (And should work with the Hori digital gamepad).

Since Nintendo isn't going to provide the solution I'm looking for, I'll support these guys instead.

They can still cancel their order, can't they? They don't come out for a number of weeks and any reputable retailer should allow the cancellation of a preorder.

I've looked into the Mayflash adapters and I feel that their handling of the Start button is not ideal. There are three extra buttons on the Classic controller: (-) (home) (+). The way the Mayflash Game Cube adapter works is one of the center buttons you tap Start to activate, one of them you double tap, and another you press and hold. Z-trigger maps to zR and nothing to zL. IMO, the handling of the Start button would cause a lot of headaches for me and most likely introduce a lag when using the start button. Honestly I could just continue to use the Classic Controller setup, but I want to be rid of the stupid dangling Wiimote with it's all too short cord.

The discontinued RetroUSB adapter cleanly maps the select button on the SNES to Z-trigger, yielding a perfect 1-1 mapping for all the digital buttons from an SNES pad to Game Cube format. It really is the perfect replacement for the Hori digital Game Boy Player controller, but also with a 1-1 layout for SNES VC games.

So naturally I was extatic when they announced the Game Cube adapter support in Wii mode, and subsequently heartbroken. I hope the Game Cube USB adapter supports HID drivers, as it would be cool as hell to plug it into a PC and use it with Dolphin or other emulators. Otherwise, this adapter is just a wasted gadget and potentially orphaned hardware if it only ever works with one game, Smash Bros.

I may not even buy Smash Bros this gen because I don't have friends to game with and I'll get my ass handed to me if I go online with it. Battling CPU players can be entertaining for a time, but eventually gets boring fast.