IGNORED

Could 'Doom 32X' cause potential burn-in on a CRT?

TaskenLander

Just wondering if anyone knew if playing 'Doom 32x' for an extended period of time could potentially, with its 'window box' display permanently on screen, cause burn-in on a CRT TV? Or would one have to play for hours on end to potentially risk causing said damage to the TV screen?

Or is just just plain DUMB concern? :-p

Thanks in advance,

Mike

You'd need to play for days on end.

Some CRT monitors used to burn in the bottom of the screen if the Windows Start+Task Bar was set to be persistent, but it took a long time to happen and mostly on office drones, not home machines that were usually turned off after a few hours and used for other stuff like games.

I don't think you'll need to worry much. The only CRT screens I've ever seen burns on were arcade monitors and Kiosks like ATMs or other terminals, where the displays were literally left on running for years of service displaying the exact same thing. You will most likely be playing lots of games on your CRT, and only using it for intermittent periods, so the chances of burn in are very slim, unless you plan on leaving your console, game, and display running for years on end.

I'd be far more worried about screen burn on those fancy new OLED displays in cell phones and HDTVs. It became such a problem with PS Vitas that Sony switched back to LCD tech in later runs.

Just wondering if anyone knew if playing 'Doom 32x' for an extended period of time could potentially, with its 'window box' display permanently on screen, cause burn-in on a CRT TV? Or would one have to play for hours on end to potentially risk causing said damage to the TV screen?

Why worry about just DOOM though? You have a countless amount of other games that feature static images on screen, like heads-up displays, life bars, score bars, timers, etc. I honestly think you don't have much to worry about.

Short answer: Yes, absolutely.

I actually ruined a CRT with the xbox 360 media player, the graphic frame around the non-fullscreen part of music player burned into the screen. Turning the brightness and contrast down can help prevent burn-in. Remember that all TVs come from the factory in 'nitro' mode, for store display.