IGNORED

Should I get a PS Vita?

When I 1st got my Vita I loved it. Now a long time later, I swear I can not find a single game I'd purchase for it. Not that I don't already have anyway. I think I only have 5 retail box games and a few indie games from the store. I used to love the Pinball game on it, but that got old after a while.

Oh yeah, it also bears mentioning that the Vita has sold fewer units in the same amount of time as the Dreamcast. I like the system, but I really hope Sony doesn't go through with this foolishness again.

For me, the Vita basically IS the Dreamcast. All the quirky arcade and indie style games seem to end up on that system. It's easily my favorite platform at this moment in time.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I bought a Vita. There are just too many dungeon crawlers for me to ignore. But the first game I got for it is Hyperdevotion Noire.

Now I can also play TxK which I accidentally bought thinking it was a PS3 game. It's pretty cool.

I've also put Metal Slug 3 on it, which was a cross buy.

I bought a Vita. There are just too many dungeon crawlers for me to ignore. But the first game I got for it is Hyperdevotion Noire.

Now I can also play TxK which I accidentally bought thinking it was a PS3 game. It's pretty cool.

I've also put Metal Slug 3 on it, which was a cross buy.

Mega tons of RPG's on this thing which includes all PSP titles.

• Like 1

And after squinting at the screen for a while, I said screw it and bought a Playstation TV.

I think it was about a year ago I was all gung ho about portables, saying I was getting my primary gaming entertainment from them. Now my views have changed again, and the idea of sitting hunched over trying to decipher the small screens of portables makes me want to do anything other than play video games. Who knows what next week will bring?

So far I'm overjoyed about my PS TV. Something finally dawned on me. I knew it would play PSP games, but I didn't KNOW it would play PSP games. Once I realized that, and it occurred to me that I could play Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection, Unchained Blades, Elminage Original, and Persona on my TV, fullscreen, with a PS3 controller, I was completely in love. (Not to mention that Hyperdevotion Noire and TxK are much better on my TV.)

Now I just need to buy a bunch of PSP games over again. First on my list are Jeanne d'Arc and Field Commander. I adored Field Commander, and have wanted to play it again, but the idea of playing it on the small screen again filled me with apathy. I've never been able to dive into Jeanne d'Arc as much as I wanted because of it being a portable title, so now is my chance.

One that was on the top of my list, but only works on Vita and not PS TV, is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. I suppose there's practically no chance now of it being approved for PS TV. I'd also really like R Type Command. I could have sworn that one was offered as a DL title once upon a time, but it looks like it is disc only except for the demo.

As for Vita games, I'm planning on picking up Operation Abyss and Dungeon Travellers 2. Other than that, I'm considering Mind Zero, Muramasa Rebirth, Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds, Hyperdimension Neptunia Action U, and Persona 4 Golden. I'm trying to decide if I want to go for physical or DL versions when the option is available. There's not really the concern of wear and tear like there is on the PS3 or PSP, but there is the convenience factor.

And after squinting at the screen for a while, I said screw it and bought a Playstation TV.

I think it was about a year ago I was all gung ho about portables, saying I was getting my primary gaming entertainment from them. Now my views have changed again, and the idea of sitting hunched over trying to decipher the small screens of portables makes me want to do anything other than play video games. Who knows what next week will bring?

So far I'm overjoyed about my PS TV. Something finally dawned on me. I knew it would play PSP games, but I didn't KNOW it would play PSP games. Once I realized that, and it occurred to me that I could play Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection, Unchained Blades, Elminage Original, and Persona on my TV, fullscreen, with a PS3 controller, I was completely in love. (Not to mention that Hyperdevotion Noire and TxK are much better on my TV.)

Now I just need to buy a bunch of PSP games over again. First on my list are Jeanne d'Arc and Field Commander. I adored Field Commander, and have wanted to play it again, but the idea of playing it on the small screen again filled me with apathy. I've never been able to dive into Jeanne d'Arc as much as I wanted because of it being a portable title, so now is my chance.

One that was on the top of my list, but only works on Vita and not PS TV, is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. I suppose there's practically no chance now of it being approved for PS TV. I'd also really like R Type Command. I could have sworn that one was offered as a DL title once upon a time, but it looks like it is disc only except for the demo.

As for Vita games, I'm planning on picking up Operation Abyss and Dungeon Travellers 2. Other than that, I'm considering Mind Zero, Muramasa Rebirth, Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds, Hyperdimension Neptunia Action U, and Persona 4 Golden. I'm trying to decide if I want to go for physical or DL versions when the option is available. There's not really the concern of wear and tear like there is on the PS3 or PSP, but there is the convenience factor.

Everything you have written above is exactly what me and my buddy went through. As soon as we found out it can play PSP and Vita games on a TV set we were all in. For an older guy like me who's uncomfortable playing handhelds anymore, it rocks. I fire up the Vita TV just like a console pretty much every week, I even bought an extra PS3 controller just for it. I'm currently playing Corpse Party and just finished Muramassa Rebirth on it a few months back.

Check here for compatability, the people there update it all the time:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/

By the way, developers just need to patch the game....its all up to them to do it (or the Publisher). If its Konami forget it.

These guys are doing it for their game Kick & Fennick: https://twitter.com/jaywalkersint/status/596701481698463745

• Like 1

Check here for compatability, the people there update it all the time:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/

By the way, developers just need to patch the game....its all up to them to do it (or the Publisher). If its Konami forget it.

These guys are doing it for their game Kick & Fennick: https://twitter.com/jaywalkersint/status/596701481698463745

I stumbled upon the compatibility list last night. Yep, very helpful.

As for Konami, yes it sucks that Dracula X won't get patched. Oh well.

Another one I would have liked to play on my TV, but also isn't supported, is Fate/Unlimited Codes. I'm not sure if the lack of support for that one is due to it being a license or because of Capcom. Probably both.

Luckily, most of the games I care about are supported. Although it would have been nice to have a Japanese account for Macross Ultimate Frontier (assuming it's supported).

I'd buy a Vita TV just to play my PSP games on the TV without the stupid cable that I have to use on my PSP, but I refuse to buy the games all over again. It's not happening. Shame they didn't make a PSP disc player attachment for it or something.

• Like 1

There's nothing to patch where Castlevania is concerned. As Sony has already demonstrated when they slipped up and opened up the entire range of PSP downloads for a few days before fixing it, it obviously works on the Vita/PSTV just like every other PSP compatible game on PSN does.

While the slip up predates the PSTV, there are people out there today with it on their system despite only being officially supported by the Vita's handheld version. If you downloaded it from the PC when the entire library was available and kept the uninstalled file, you can install it to the PSTV to this day (As well as with PSP games not on the Vita handheld's compatibility list, to the Vita handheld, like Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play).

Kick & Fennick is a Vita release, not a PSP release, which is why they're having to go back and patch it to enable PSTV support. Castlevania's absence is merely due to paperwork, with Sony apparently unable to greenlist it themselves, with it up to the publisher to request it.

And Konami doesn't care, and Sony apparently doesn't care either and isn't working too hard to motivate publishers to request clearance for their PSP downloads on PSN. At least Konami's European arm apparently sent in the request to Sony UK.

I'd buy a Vita TV just to play my PSP games on the TV without the stupid cable that I have to use on my PSP, but I refuse to buy the games all over again. It's not happening. Shame they didn't make a PSP disc player attachment for it or something.

That seemed like such a natural accessory for Japan in particular.

I wish it had ended up happening, especially assuming if it didn't release in the West, that our PSTV's firmware over here would've still been able to at least interface with the Japanese add-on.

I wonder how complete that is? Far fewer games are in red than I've been led to believe, and at least one major Vita release isn't even listed (Resistance: Burning Skies, which unless a recent change has happened, isn't PSTV compatible).

Edited by Atariboy

Luckily, most of the games I care about are supported. Although it would have been nice to have a Japanese account for Macross Ultimate Frontier (assuming it's supported).

Same here, the majority of ones for me are there. I created a Japanese and Chinese account over the years and have a couple of games from those stores mainly unreleased NA PS1 games. If you look online there are some tutorials on how to get a Japanese or Chinese account if you ever want to do that.

I wonder how complete that is? Far fewer games are in red than I've been led to believe, and at least one major Vita release isn't even listed (Resistance: Burning Skies, which unless a recent change has happened, isn't PSTV compatible).

Not sure if every game is listed. It's pretty accurate but there may be some mistakes. If you have an account there just ask the OP Frisky or if you see a mistake just pitch in (its a Wiki post).

I found out Fate/Unlimited Codes does work on the PS TV. I had to link my PS TV to my PS3. Then I had to download Fate/Unlimited Codes to my PS3. Then I had to go into the PS TV, connect to my PS3, and copy it.

By the way the devs at Mastiff games patched Gurumin, a nice PSP RPG that has also been released on Steam.

Its now playable on VitaTV....its one RPG on my list that I wanted to work so I'm pretty happy the devs took the time to patch it.

gurumin.JPG

I almost pulled the trigger on a PSTV yesterday when they were $40 (had it in my cart in everything) but I waited too long and they sold out. I want some info on how hard it is to hack the PSTV to play PSP ISO images so I don't have to rebuy my entire PSP library (that's not happening).

I almost pulled the trigger on a PSTV yesterday when they were $40 (had it in my cart in everything) but I waited too long and they sold out. I want some info on how hard it is to hack the PSTV to play PSP ISO images so I don't have to rebuy my entire PSP library (that's not happening).

I'm waiting for that to happen too. Since the VitaTV is basically a Vita I've been keeping an eye on things from time to time.

Over the years I started re-buying some of my UMD games off the store when they were really cheap so I can play them on the Vita instead of the PSP. I'm glad I did but I STILL have a lot of UMD's laying around that have never been turned digital or am unwilling to buy again for more than 3-7 bucks

Yeah it's kind of confusing as to what exploits are out there and what supports what since there seems to be two people making them and they're at war with each other. Each exploit only works on a certain firmware and each one has limitations. It's really REALLY confusing.

Personally I don't want to play PSP ISOs I don't own (I own 99% of the PSP games I want to) and I have no interest in playing VITA backups since there are so few VITA games I care about I'll just buy them. I just want to transfer my current PSP library to the PSTV and use it as a much better version of the PSP TV Out (full screen, real controller, no wires, etc.).

@Tempest:You so hit the nail on the head from my personal point of view as well.

I'm a huge PSP fan, down to 3 of them now, but in my time i've bought 5, i died, i i had monumental F**K UP with on my part and it was smashed to buggery :-(.I loved the look of the PSP Go, but there was no bloody way i was re-buying games i'd bought on UMD, lets alone the films etc.

I'd love a PSTV just to play games like:Killzone:Liberation F.F:Crisis Core, Resistance Retribution, Afterburner:Black Falcon, Warhammer 40,000 S.C etc etc on TV rather than having to stop swap batts on PSP etc.

I've rebought MGS:Peace Walker via PS3 HD Collection, ditto PSP God Of War Games (easier to do QTE's on PS3 pad to boot)...

But just gutted Sony never found a solution be it redeem codes or UMD adapter type device to give people like ourselves a legit way to play what we'd previousily bought on a new range of Sony hardware.

I almost pulled the trigger myself as Best Buy was offering a free PSTV if you buy a PS4 (2 day sale). Couldn't justify spending that kind of money for something that will sit in a box until at least mid summer though as I am sure some sort of deal will come up again. I am really not even playing much now... way too busy and tired.

I decided that hacking the Vita is just too big of a pain in the ass so I'm sticking with my good old PSP. My only complaint is why did they stick the video out cable on the bottom of the unit instead of the top? It constantly gets in the way. Argh!

My only complaint is why did they stick the video out cable on the bottom of the unit instead of the top? It constantly gets in the way. Argh!

DItto this! Additionally, why did they make the various video out cable plugs right angled such they run horizontaly along the frame of the PSP rather than just sticking straight out? For me, this is a real nuisance.

Just wanting to let you know, the PSTV is only 40$ free shipping at gamestop right now:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-tv-system/115547

VERY tempting. Still, I'd have to buy a decent sized memory card and an exploitable game which would add $40 or so to the price. Not to mention it's still ungodly hard to hack this thing, I've read though the instructions several times and I'm still lost. Not only is it hard to actually do the exploit, but it sounds like it's kind of fragile once you do get it going. I think I'm just going to stay with my hacked PSP for now. Sure it's not full screen, but it's pretty close. Maybe if they get a better hack going in the future.

Yea, at that price, there is some appeal even if it cannot be easily hacked right now. I highly suspect that might be the new price in the future. Best Buy was giving them away with a PS4 purchase last week, but like I said, I don't really have time to play anything right now....