IGNORED

7800 arcade joystick interest check

UberArcade

Oh heavens! This is a great example of why I have always been a lurker. I usually manage to put my foot in my mouth in these situations.

What I was trying to convey was that I have been working on these controllers for months and had already decided to launch when UberArcade's post went up. This made me feel very badly because there is this obvious overlap in projects. But even at that time I was already in too deep to abandon my own project. So I didn't jump in because I wanted to cut his grass, I jumped in because I had spent too much money getting ready to jump in myself. Since then I've been agonizing about when to jump because I was afraid that we would end up having the exact discussion we are having now.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or take anything away from anybody. I just want to make some cool controllers and get them out in the world.

Well this has gotten weird. I feel like a Wal-Mart just opened up next door to undercut my price. This has definitely killed my buzz. I was excited to make these and had plans to make a Robotron one and so on if these were a hit. I'll just have to see how it goes.

My intention is to make the ultimate 7800 joystick using the best parts out there. As somebody who has restored arcade games for about 17 years I know the difference in playing Robotron with an original wico stick and a cheap microswitch stick. If you aren't going to use great parts then why bother making one of these joysticks in the first place.

Here is a picture of the overlays I picked up on Friday. I was going to assemble one to show, but I have a question about the black level on these and just in case the printer agrees to run some replacements I didn't want to use any yet. I'll talk to them on Monday. Going in the case will be a black ball top stick with red leaf switch buttons.

The price I am looking at is between $175-$200. The parts I am using actually cost me around $120. It is an aluminum case. True short leaf swtich buttons with button holders. An awesome joystick that costs about $40. 9 foot replaceable cord. Wiring harness soldered to a 9 pin connector and that has a little pcb holding the resistors and diode. And of course the vinyl overlays which have a minimum print quantity. Even polished black joystick bolts aren't cheap ($2+shipping for 4). That may seem like it leaves a lot of profit, but it takes me a while to solder the wiring harness, drill the cases, test them (the fun part), eventually deal with payments, box them up, drive to the post office. I love the hobby, but it also needs to make sense for me to do them.

I guess these will be for somebody who wants the best. You can make one cheaper. You can get an ABS plastic case pretty cheap. You can use scrap wood. Zippy joysticks are about $10, etc.

I am not going to try to compete on price or try to beat the other guy to market. These are almost ready, but I can't make the joysticks show up any faster. I will build these bad ass joysticks when I get all the parts and I will gladly sell them to whoever is still interested.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

post-20333-0-03716200-1410661074_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

UberArcade, that looks fantastic! If your controller had been available six months ago I would have bought one and called it a day.

Your post is a huge relief to me, as its plain we really arent going to be competing for the same sales at all. Yours is a super premium product with that perfect, singular Atari 7800 artwork and the craftsmanship of all that arcade experience behind it. No one should expect to pay less if they want the best!

I had no idea what your prices were going to be when I posted and it stings to be compared to Wal-Mart, but there is some real truth in what you say. A key design objective for the Super 78 was for it to be as affordable as possible so the most # of players could get their hands on them, which definitely meant not using the most expensive joystick. That's going to be a solution that is great for some people but totally unappealing to others.

I think its great there will be something for everyone. I hope the weird feeling blows over quickly and you get your buzz back, because that is going to be a really great looking controller!

I plan to have the first batch ready by the end of October at the latest.

I solder the wires to the 9 pin connector that the joystick cable goes to, but the buttons and joystick have crimp connectors on the switches. Almost all arcade machines have crimp connectors on the control panel so you can easily change those out. They are tight though. You can disconnect them by hand if you use enough force. Usually helps to use pliers. They won't come loose.

So... is there an official list of people who have dibs on one of these? I just might be interested in one of these.

Also, any chance of offering these in two different styles... one with the "fuji" logo and one without? I gotta admit, I'm not crazy about the huge fuji logo in the middle of the stick... but I like the rest of the retro look. I would even pay a few bucks more for a stick without the fuji logo.

Edited by 7800

I haven't made an official list. I was going to announce when I had some ready to ship and let people claim them at that time. I plan to make enough so people shouldn't worry about missing out. The first batch will be 10 just to get them out quicker. I'll do some right and left oriented ones.

I'll see if the printer can do some non Fuji ones in the batch. It is only about a 10% black difference so it is more of a watermark kind of thing. Not very prominent.

My question a few posts back went unanswered. I am interested in both peoples' controllers now so I can have different kinds. Both of your guys' controllers work with the 2-button required Atari 7800 games such as Asteroids, right?

I am positive they will. It is the one of main reasons to make one. It wouldnt be a 7800 controller if it didnt.

I am positive they will. It is the one of main reasons to make one. It wouldnt be a 7800 controller if it didnt.

Gotcha. I just know on ebay they advertise knockoff controllers as being 7800 compatible but they never work on those games even if they have 2 buttons on them. It usually turns out the 2 buttons perform the Atari button 1 action.

• 2 weeks later...

The printing issues have been straightened out and the overlays have been ordered.

The leaf switch joystick didn't work out. Too hard to reliably source them and not many options. A lot of the ones you can get are not good. I am going with a modified Sanwa. It has quiet switches and other mods. Very different than a stock one. Plays great.

Still going with leaf switch buttons. I already have them.

I should be assembling everything soon.