IGNORED

Australian PAL Rarity Guide

Junk_supermarket

My friend and i have been collecting Atari and other systems for a few good years now and have decided to put a rarity guide together. we fel that we have seen enough to start something and if therte is anyone else out there willing to contribute let me know and also wondering if ATARIAGE would be willing to post it?

thanx from steven (junk_supermarket)

My friend and i have been collecting Atari and other systems for a few good years now and have decided to put a rarity guide together. we fel that we have seen enough to start something and if therte is anyone else out there willing to contribute let me know and also wondering if ATARIAGE would be willing to post it?

thanx from steven (junk_supermarket)

We would certainly be interested in your input, and the more contributors you can get for your data the better. One thing to note, is that we require a photo or scan of any cartridge before we add it to the database, in order to ensure accuracy. It can be a mass picture of carts on a table at the very least, as long as it is clear enough to make it out.

Groovy stuff,

I now have a scanner after throwing out the usb cable for my fuji digi cam. I''m happy to spend as much time as possible for input.

Junk_supermarket, ive recently moved from sydney to brisbane, um yes,,,, Boring place.

Thats a great sms rarity list, I think there where alot of releases here in Aus and im finding sms carts very quick to collect. I also think the sms is a great machine, Im after an sms 1 for modding purposes at the moment.

Happy_Dude, since i bought over 200 i'd say you may be a little late :)

There just doesnt seem to be a scene here?? I mean any sought of museum or interest,, I guess this keeps the prices down for us.

Sorry for babbling US gamers but i think we may have enough to start a list of some descrption or at least contribute as a whole,,,

The rarity rating does raise a problem though. Availabilty of certain PAL carts in Australia will be different to the UK, and Italy etc etc etc etc. I would not want to see the rarity guide broken up to individual countries as this could ruin the simplicity of the site.

Any ideas?

Or am I just jabbering on and wasting everyones time?

I think the guys at AtariAge are in agreement that the PAL section is desperate for a major overhaul, but the above must be of concern.

The rarity rating does raise a problem though. Availabilty of certain PAL carts in Australia will be different to the UK, and Italy etc etc etc etc. I would not want to see the rarity guide broken up to individual countries as this could ruin the simplicity of the site.

You might run into problems there since a cart that is common in Australia may be extremely scarce in the UK and vice versa. It might be easier to break your rarity list down by country or region at the very least.

I think it's safe to say that any pal release with an instruction manual in 10 different languages are probably evenly distributed. I'd say the only difference is HES carts which i think is australian only.

As for pirate or hack carts, I'd say australia may hold a large number of asian pirate carts where as the brazil and german ones would be more common in europe.

I have just received a load of 2600 manuals and brochures, The have symbols next to the games as to where they are being released.

To cut things short, i beleive the legit atari / activision / parker bro,, etc have been released evenly.

My suggestion would be to start with releases that are unique (or at least nearly unique) to Australia. There is quite a bit of work to do there before getting to Aus releases that were also released in the US or Europe. Eventually we can get to multi-region releases. For example, don't worry about the Aus release of Centipede for now (unless the packaging is very differenct and exclusive to Aus).

A good list of Aus exclusive games/packaging with rarity would be a great start.

For example, don't worry about the Aus release of Centipede for now (unless the packaging is very differenct and exclusive to Aus).  

Hey!

I have a Centipede "boxed" cart that I got from Australia a few years back that I've not seen anywhere since:

It's a silver label cart, in a plastic bag with instructions behind it, with a piece of card sealing the bag at the top. On the card, it says "Atari Super Value". I assume that this must have been a pre-red label release range of cheaper (budget) games that were sold on racks (there is the little hole in the card for hanging).

Ok,

HES are all aus exclusives, Most common are the multi carts with 3 or more titles. Second most common would be the stand alones like frogger, tomcat etc. 3rd would be the multi carts with only 2 games. Then the stand alones . Like pig's n wolf. And i'd say the rarest would be wall defender and maybe other's ive never seen.

I think john sands is aus only as well. There is only 3? JS titles, from common to least.

Aquatak

seahawk

Exocet missile

This is just from personal collection and frequenting ebay.

Anyone care to offer opinions?

Yes, Quelle sold the 2600 and 7800 HES games here in Germany too. I'm not sure how the rarity compares to the Australian market, but I personally found several HES games in the wild, so they can't be that scarce.

The John Sands labels on the other hand seem to be Australian exclusives. The games themselves were sold under different brands over here as well though.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I'm a newbie here, but I think a comprehensive Aussie rarity guide would be an excellent tool for collectors like myself.

Since starting my collecting about 6 months ago I've found it hard coming to terms with all of the different rarity lists around the place, and the conflicting data contained within.

It's also difficult to really judge what these carts on Ebay are really worth. I mean, when you see a PAL version of Spectravision's Mangia going for over $150 AU, and Atari Age lists an NTSC version as Rarity 10, but no PAL version, it makes you really think twice before bidding!

I'd also love to see a standard database format for collectors to use. (One which includes actual cart scans would be ideal) I've been playing with one of my own, and have seen some interest in the same, but I think a common format could be a great thing for comparing collections, and maybe starting up an online database for collectors etc. (OK, an online version would probably have to miss out on images, due to space costraints.)

I know it would sure make trading heaps easier, as you could have a

list of your wants and doubles, and people could approach you from online to swap without you making the first move. Might save everyone a lot of cash on Ebay etc.

I'm certainly willing to put some time into something like this to make it happen. Am I the only one who thinks this would be a great idea?

I'm a newbie here,...

Me too.

but I think a comprehensive Aussie rarity guide would be an excellent tool for collectors like myself.

Me too! :)

I'm certainly willing to put some time into something like this to make it happen. Am I the only one who thinks this would be a great idea?

I think it's a great idea. :thumbsup:

That makes two. :D

It's also difficult to really judge what these carts on Ebay are really worth. I mean, when you see a PAL version of Spectravision's Mangia going for over $150 AU, and Atari Age lists an NTSC version as Rarity 10, but no PAL version, it makes you really think twice before bidding!

The AA list still seems pretty spot on for other countries,, I mean how many ppl found 2 Asterix's in 1 day and never seen it again>?? Theres alot of sheer luck involved i think.

Anyhoo, ive'pm''d ppl with suggestions.