IGNORED

Old Modems - using with modern hardware

BigO

Modems seem to be the hardest to get rid off. Especially the generic externals and internal win-modems. I gave up on trying to find homeshome for nib min cib USR V.Everythings, V.92, 56.6K-Flex, X2. Even some "classic" 1200/2400 baud jobbers.

The three that I have were probably a bit higher end. They were pulled out of a data center that I worked at back in the olden days. One has leased line support.

But, in the end, I was keeping them to rob the switches and such out of them and maybe repurposing the case for some classic gaming/computing project as yet unknown as save2600 alludes to.

Ha, wow! Perfect height too :)

Yeah, it elevates that 21 inch monitor just high enough that I can see it over the top of my laptop screen. There's another one elevating a 23" next to it so the tops of the 22" and 23" align. Three screens is still not enough. :)

Still got my USB 56k modem that's been unused almost 10 years. Paid a fair bit for it and don't want to just chuck it. Plus it could be used for "emergencies" although I've had blackouts and ISP downtime before and can better cover it by just using my phone.

The PCI cards, I've got no time for. Possible I still have a couple but threw one out the other month without any regret. Actually, I've probably got some ISA ethernet and even token ring cards that should goto the rubbish.

There's only so much old shit you can keep - the one regret I do have is I accidentally threw out an old Hercules monochrome card some time back although I don't think it was so vintage as to be valuable.

Still got my USB 56k modem that's been unused almost 10 years. Paid a fair bit for it and don't want to just chuck it. Plus it could be used for "emergencies" although I've had blackouts and ISP downtime before and can better cover it by just using my phone.

The PCI modem cards, I've got no time for. Possible I still have a couple but threw one out the other month without any regret. Actually, I've probably got some ISA ethernet and even token ring cards that should goto the rubbish.

There's only so much old shit you can keep - the one regret I do have is I accidentally threw out an old Hercules monochrome card some time back although I don't think it was so vintage as to be valuable.

Edited by Rybags

Agreed. When I moved a few years ago, I gave away literal piles of old PC hardware. Every once in a while, I find myself looking for some bit or piece that I eventually realize that I dump.

Now, can someone please explain to me why I feel compelled to keep a 9" IBM monochrome (Point of Sale?) CRT monitor?

Edited by BigO

The Atari XM301 300 baud modem has 4 transistors that I used in video mods. Normal size resistors (not mini or surface mount) with some of values needed for said A/V mods. An SIO cable that they say are getting hard to find (well half of one at least :D)

I don't know what kind of parts are in the ones you have.

Note: Don't A/V mod original release 1970's systems if you can get a later made redesigned one. Every original release 70's system I have has beautiful RF output (see my signature), it is when they started cost cutting that output suffered., and those cost cut systems need at least a composite mod.

Examples of poor RF output: Any Atari 2600 after the 77 78 Heavy Sixer, Atari 7800, Intellivision II, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X.

I've been looking for a super cheap/free US Robotics Courier V.Everything external modem. No real reason other than the fact that I like the style and had one in the 90's.

If I found that I had one of those sitting around, you'd have one of those.

Edited by BigO