IGNORED

Atari console prices... going down???

Joey Kay

Hey hey!!!

I have a theory here that I'm not sure is true or not, as I never paid attention to this before.

However, will e-bay prices for vintage consoles (especially 7800) go down in the summer due to garage sale season creating a bigger supply?

Just a thought! Any ideas?

Cheers!

Joey

The console prices do fluxuate due to supply and demand. The Demand of 7800 systems is simply higher than say 2600 systems. That's why they cost more, pluss they're newer.

But summer is a good time for buying, because people are often selling more stuff then. Just don't expect a huge drop in ave price for systems. Sure, you can get lucky, but over all, the average price won't change more than $5.

The console prices do fluxuate due to supply and demand. The Demand of 7800 systems is simply higher than say 2600 systems. That's why they cost more, pluss they're newer.  

True true (I have a degree in economics... I know all about *yawn* supply and demand...

however, 7800's are going for WAY more than less than a year ago (like two to three times as much... you used to be able to pick up a boxed Warner 7800 with the expansion port for 30 bucks last summer)

Wierd...

Joey

Most likely, because there are more people interested in retro gaming now. Atari 7800 is kind of Atari's nich system. In all honestly, I didn't know anything about the 7800 untill a few years ago. I thought Atari went from the 5200 to the Lynx.

I imagine I'm not the only one that was like that. And believe it or not, the first thing I heard of 7800 was when I gor a lot from Ebay, and one of the carts was Pole Position 2 (a 7800 cart) That's what set me off looking for the 7800.

Here's something else different this year from last year.

Go to Ebay, and type in Atari 7800. You'll probably get 7 or 8 pages of hits. Last year, same thing, you'd only get 3 or 4 pages of hits.

[i have noticed that the price of systems have gone up a little. About a year ago, I sold a 7800 on ebay for $25. Now, I think I could get $30-$35. I have, however, noticed a huge difference in the price of carts. Since I first started collecting 7800 games, I have noticed that many games have dropped in price while only a few have increased. One perfect example is Water Ski. When I first started, a boxed version would constantly go for $50 on ebay. Now, they only get $20-$25. Other games like F-18, Mario Bros, Commando, Double Dragon, Fatal Run have all seemed to have dropped in price.

Examples of carts I have seen go up are Mean 18 and Tank Command. I shoot myself for not picking up a boxed Tank Command when I have the chance for $40. Now, you are lucky to get one under $70.

For some reason last summer a bunch of boxed Waterski's showed up on

ebay. I got one for $25. It seems they are less rare than once thought.

Hopefully this summer a stash of Tank Command will appear :D

Yup. I made the mistake of taking a BIN for $30 on a sealed one last summer when not long thereafter the same seller had another one which went for a little over $20 bidding. D'oh!

tell your dad that some oldsters have played games since there teens and are still playing them twenty years later. Then explain to him that it is simply essential for your emotional development that you get a 7800 as soon as possible. Also you could if you wish direct him to my inbox.... Atari Rules :) 8)

True true (I have a degree in economics... I know all about *yawn* supply and demand...

however, 7800's are going for WAY more than less than a year ago (like two to three times as much... you used to be able to pick up a boxed Warner 7800 with the expansion port for 30 bucks last summer)

Wierd...

Joey

If someone has a nice mint boxed 7800 like that and they wish to sell it outright for 2-3 times that price, I'd love to know about it. Whenever they show up on ebay they are really pretty ratty and/or missing parts.

I'm not sure any of the online stores sells 7800's anymore.

P.M. me if you have any info!

• 1 month later...

What can I say...

I've been watching :o e-bay and indeed, since garage sale season has hit in full swing, 7800's are more plentiful and prices are going way down... now a basic console with sticks and power supply goes for under 20 bucks... that would have been unseen three months ago!

Ah - supply and demand - so much fun!

Cheers!

Joey