IGNORED

ITalk II voice synthesizer for Atari 400/800

Savetz

I got my ITalk II voice synthesis box working today and made a youtube video of its demo running. There doesn't seem to be much info out there about this puppy. If anyone has a manual or scan of one, please let me know. It was made by a company called RealTime Electronics in Mesa, AZ.

• Like 5

This no doubt uses the Votrax sound chip used in the Gorf arcade cabinet. I agree - the inflection is shit, SAM is all software which is cool. I much prefer my AtariVox, which uses the SpeakJet chip, the successor to the chip used in the Speak'n'Spell. It can do sound effects, and has enough control over inflection that it can be made to sing in different voices.

Nice! I had guessed it had never shipped, but now we know they exist.

Any chance of opening it up to see what the synthesis chip is?

Competing products used either the Votrax SC-01-A (Votrax Type n Talk, Alien Group Voice Box and Voice Box II) or the Texas Instruments TMS5220 (SEC Echo).

Thanks for posting the video Kevin, I look forward to seeing the others (eventually). I remember seeing these things in Analog and Antic and thought about buying one but never pulled the trigger. The Covox Voice Master is the one that I remember best...

I guess that's the problem with these things... what are they good for in practical terms? It's really more of a tech demo than something useful. I guess the same can be said for SAM.

I have a friend who dug out some old PC based Covox stuff (Speech thing, Disney SoundSource) from a few years later... I'm assuming that's what the original Covox evolved into.

I opened it up. It's the SC-01-A. There are four other chips. A pot for volume adjust, and another for tone adjust. Board says ITALK II REV B.

I also noticed this etched on the case, handwritten (probably in the mold): 10210046.

There's an RCA jack. Haven't tested that. Alternate audio output, I guess.

post-803-0-88539800-1410120600_thumb.jpg

post-803-0-70829300-1410120626_thumb.jpg

post-803-0-68521900-1410120681_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, I just got off the phone with the guy who created the ITalk II. We recorded a short interview for the podcast. (He may have a manual stashed away somewhere.)

He said they built about 30 of them, and sold most of them, keeping a couple for themselves. The company was primarily semiconductor stuff then biomedical, and only went out of business a couple of years ago.

Edited by Savetz
  • Like 1

Wow talk about rare... now there is the reason not many have heard of this item!

So now that we know its the same chip as Gorf, someone needs to build a version of Gorf to use it. of course there are probably only a couple of these left in the wild... so that probably isn't really worth it. But it would be cool.

3 cables is kinda crazy. The SIO connection gets you audio through the monitor and the 2 joystick connections makes it easier to send commands over, but what an octopus!

No doubt - if they were already using SIO, why the heck would they use joystick cables for data?

No doubt - if they were already using SIO, why the heck would they use joystick cables for data?

Probably because PIA bit-banging in BASIC is pretty much the easiest thing you can do and you'd hear some SIO noise due to the leaky nature of SIO cables.

• Like 1

That's what my AtariVox has - it's a very capable and easy to program chip.

I have never heard what that chip sounds like, but I picked up an nos one from eBay a while ago so that I can build a "cheep talk". Still need the oscillator and other components though...

I will have to look up atarivox on YouTube and check it out.

Edited by low.blow

I believe power comes from the Atari, rather than an external power supply. I don't know how you'd do it exactly, but is there any way of determining whether power is drawn from the joystick ports, or from SIO? If it's SIO, it could be pin 10, or the longshot, the +12V on pin 12. I don't think I've heard of anything that used the +12V on SIO pin 12 on the 400/800.

I believe power comes from the Atari, rather than an external power supply. I don't know how you'd do it exactly, but is there any way of determining whether power is drawn from the joystick ports, or from SIO? If it's SIO, it could be pin 10, or the longshot, the +12V on pin 12. I don't think I've heard of anything that used the +12V on SIO pin 12 on the 400/800.

Power on the ITalk II comes from the joystick port(s). (I don't know which one.) The LED lights when the joysticks are plugged in, even without SIO connected.