IGNORED

Documentation for old hardware & programs.

Omega-TI

Documentation for old hardware & software  

18 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to PDF files of documentation for my classic computers hardware and software:

• I prefer new, colorful, clean and updated manuals (remakes).
    • I prefer copies of the originals, even if the originals look like crap.
    • Neither, it's originals or nothing, no matter how rare or expensive.
    • If originals cannot be found, a remake is okay with me.
    • Other: Please explain in comments.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Over the years documentation can get lost, worn out, abused, destroyed or even thrown in the garbage. The result is a lack of documentation for many older rare hardware items or programs.

There are people trying preserve the old documentation so newbies or returning users can enjoy the hobby to the fullest. What is your preference? Are you a purist or do you want function over form? Now is your chance to click your preference.

• Like 1

I prefer searchable PDF files. I know some software will automatically include reasonable OCR of the scanned text, but that is not always the case.

By the way, the third poll choice "originals or nothing" would apply to someone who doesn't utilize PDF files at all, but only resorts to original documentation in paper format? As far as I know, there usually is no such thing as original PDF files, at least not for stuff older than say 22 years.

• Like 1

I like Paper, to read through the information on the initial Pass.. Unlike Novels, I need to jump back and forth a bit to re-look up the information.. Paper is so much better for that.. Novels, that I read straight through, a PDF or Web Page is just fine..

After that, using a PDF for reference is just fine..

I like Clean Readable PDF's, unless there is no options, then a Scroungy PDF is better than no PDF at all..

Original Documentation to go with a Disk and Box, is always a Big Plus!!!!

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

I like both paper and PDFs. I don't have a lot of money to buy every manual so I'll settle for just the PDFs. But since not to many people are willing to buy manuals (and sometimes cut them up to scan) I have to buy them myself to make PDFs of them. Now this is just for Atari 8-bit computers. Luckily there are a few people out there making PDFs of documents from other computer lines. I'm hoping someday someone else will catch the archiving bug and help me out.

As far as using manuals, sometimes it's nice to have the real manual but sometimes I prefer to use a tablet. It's nice to have the option.

Allan

• Like 1

I run across so many computer related documents that are pdf's made from half sideways scans of 4th generation photocopies on a 25 year old printer port 12 dpi scanner so much, that I would prefer something useable when in electronic format

on a side note with modern versions you can copy paste program listings and other tidbits of text, not so much, even with repackaging of above

Edited by Osgeld

Problem with remakes is the maker often omits copyright dates and author names and other subtle things included in the original.

Also, if one is to scan a manual they should include all pages, covers, and blank pages. Acknowledgements, indices, and table of contents are not to be excluded either.

No half-assed jobs! Do it right or make way for someone that can.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I like Paper, to read through the information on the initial Pass.. Unlike Novels, I need to jump back and forth a bit to re-look up the information.. Paper is so much better for that.. Novels, that I read straight through, a PDF or Web Page is just fine..

The beauty about PDF files... you can print them up, just like the originals.

<< SOME EXAMPLES HERE >>