IGNORED

Ghostbusters (SMS) VS Ghostbusters (NES)

Well, I've maxed out the Money in Ghostbusters. The most you can have is $9,999,990.

With Initials 'Q.W.' and account number '2743277787' you will start with $9,999,900. I guess the account number doesn't store the last 2 monetary digits and always counts them as zeros. Which is good I guess, cause I used to HATE when I'd bump into the Keymaster or Zule and end up with some weird amount of money... bad OCD with numbers... I'll even reset the game if I touch them.

Oh, and a weird thing, if you try using the "switch the last two account digits" trick it'll give you LESS money, only $899,900

I'm also considering making an in-depth FAQ for the game now, but really, who's gonna read it? Even growing up no one really liked this game but me.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

It's come to my attention that there is an Account Number Generator, a fellow called Maxim cracked the password system apparently..

www.smspower.org/Cheats/Ghostbusters-SMS

I used the Password Generator to generate a password that would give $9,999,900 to initials Q.W. and it it generated a DIFFERENT password than the one the game itself gave me... but they both work...

I also 'broke' the generator... if you decode the account number 1000000000 it says Initials Q.W. & $9843200. But it doesn't work in the game... however MANY random account numbers that I tried consisting of all 0's and a few 1's scattered around always generated BIG money for the initials Q.W., and only about half of them worked on a real cartridge.
In fact one account number (1010110101) generated the initials T.\.
Yup a backslash.

Whats up with the QW initials... was that maybe a cheat for programmers that thought no one would have those initials or do they somehow kind of 'break' the password algorithms?

• Like 1

Yeah I know... third post... but I really love this game and these threads and shinobiman's Library video has gotten me on a Ghostbuster kick.

Well, I just beat NES Ghostbusters. Took me two tries. It's not that hard. It's just ugly as hell and twice as hard on the ears.

Okay, the stairway level IS a bitch, but if you have a Turbo controller it's a cinch. You know at the very top when the Ghostbusters move like greased lightning? Well they ALWAYS move that fast if you have a Turbo feature for the A button. And after failing the first attempt (19th floor... SO close!) I made the effort to save up enough money to buy the Sound Generator, I figured at that price it BETTER be useful... and I was right.

A Sound Generator is ALL you really need to clear the stairs (and a Beam for the fight with Gozer), a Turbo feature will speed things up, and give your thumb a rest, but it's not needed. On my second playthrough with the Sound Generator, the ghosts just hovered around at the top of the screen, wouldn't even come near me. In fact with the Sound Generator, the Ghost Food is a BAD thing to use, because now the ghosts will clutter up the walking space when leave the top of the screen trying to get to the Food and then when the food is gone they try to get back to the top of the screen again, so forget the food and just let them hover around the top of the screen and you'll be safe the whole way up, every now and then one might dip down a little towards your path as you climb stairs, but just wait and he'll leave soon enough. Aside from the ONE time a dropped the food (and quickly realized it was a mistake to do so) I didn't take a single hit from the ghosts.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A turbo controller makes ALL the difference for moving.

Not sure if my PC Game Pad's turbo is any "better" than the original NES Turbo Controllers, but it made them move the same speed as when they flick by when they reach the top floor.

Plus there is no "Time Limit" on when to enter Zuul. You can enter Zuul ANYTIME you have enough money. The trick is to make sure you SO much money that you can sell your unneeded stuff, buy the needed stuff AND STILL have enough money to enter Zuul.

Plus (this was how I beat it) it may take a LOT of money, but buy the Sound Generator. When you have it, the ghosts just hover at the top of the screen and don't even come near you. In fact the ghost bait is counter-productive at that point because it draws the ghosts down away from the top of the screen. In fact considering they don't seem to come down toward you at all when you have the Sound Generator you could take your sweet time going up the stairs, so while a turbo function would speed things up, it wouldn't really "help" you much because you don't even have to dodge/avoid the ghosts.

*EDIT* The AVGN Ghostbusters videos are FULL of inaccuracies considering gameplay. On all fronts.

He talks about the "arbitrary" time limit to enter Zuul on the NES. It's based on money, not time.

He complains that it's near impossible to start the game on the VCS cause flicking the switches never works to let you leave the store. He must just not know WHAT switch to flick.

He claims that in the SMS version you can only shoot at an upwards 45 degree angle. Not true.

And many more, but those just stand out the most.

It may not be the greatest game, but why makes things up to complain about when there are so many REAL things to complain about.

Myself, I think the Activision Ghostbusters is the best Ghostbusters game made. No matter what system you play it on.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 2

I recently acquired a Genesis 1 with the Power Base and this thread was a leading factor in my decision to get it. I have a copy of Ghostbusters on the way, and I'll enjoy finally getting a chance to play it. Never did fire up the emulator though. Would've been cheaper.