IGNORED

Need Demodulation, Quick!

First Spear

A recent thunder/lightning storm killed my aging demodulator, which converted the RF signal from my Intellivision to composite video for my LCD monitor.

I started to look for another demodulator box, and they are in the $100 range.

Then I got the idea to find a VCR or VCP or DVD or DVD Recorder, thinking that there must be something with a small form factor that would do the demodulation job. So far, I have not seen anything decent.

Can anyone make a recommendation, so I can buy something this week and play Thin Ice again by Monday?

Thanks.

I use an old VCR. You can get a real cheap one in K-Mart or Wal-Mart and it will do the trick nicely.

-dZ.

Thanks D'. My problem is finding a new VCR that has coax/antenna input and composite-out. I don't have a VCR or DVD player anymore so I need to find one with the right input and output and us small as well. I would rather not pay $120 for a demodulator if I can get something with the demodulator built-in that also does seine thing else.....

Thanks D'. My problem is finding a new VCR that has coax/antenna input and composite-out. I don't have a VCR or DVD player anymore so I need to find one with the right input and output and us small as well. I would rather not pay $120 for a demodulator if I can get something with the demodulator built-in that also does seine thing else.....

I would look at a second hand store like Goodwill or Savers

I thought I've seen VCRs with COAX input and composite video output... hmm... Maybe check e-Bay or Amazon. How about this one?

Damn near every VCR built in the past 25 years has RF input and composite output. There are literally millions of these things sitting around in thrift and second hand shops for under $10 a piece. Often we're talking $1-2. I can't even begin to imagine why someone would entertain the thought of a new VCR, or an expensive demodulator. If you live in or near a city of any size, you can pick up a dozen VCRs for the same price without even trying. If you really wanna be lazy and spend a bit more, hit up pawn shops.

Used VCRs are like CRT monitors - they're basically landfill at this point and unless you live in the Antarctic, I guarantee you there are a few (and dirt cheap!) within a few miles of your house.

Damn near every VCR built in the past 25 years has RF input and composite output.

Actually, damn near every VCR manufactured in the last 5 years does not have an RF input. When OTA went from analog to digital manufacturers abandoned the tuner (and RF in) in VCRs. The few companies that still made them with RF in were getting a hefty premium (a Panasonic model for example was $100 more with the tuner and no other feature changes)

Edited by Mike Etler

Actually, damn near every VCR manufactured in the last 5 years does not have an RF input. When OTA went from analog to digital manufacturers abandoned the tuner (and RF in) in VCRs. The few companies that still made them with RF in were getting a hefty premium (a Panasonic model for example was $100 more with the tuner and no other feature changes)

OK, fair enough. In fact I'd believe that most manufactured in the past 10 are likely as not to be missing it. Mostly due to how few have been made in the past decade compared to 1985-2004 or so.

I guess it didn't occur to me that anyone was actually purchasing post-2009 VCRs in quantity, especially not to use with coaxial inputs, at a time when DVD players have dropped cheaper than a cup of coffee and discs are basically being handed out free with a Happy Meal. I do a fair bit of format remastering for people and I even haven't seen a VCR manufactured in the past decade. I can't conceive of why someone beyond an extreme enthusiast would be looking at these (I suppose to help grandma keep playing her 600 tape collection or something). Now, a new BETA machine I'd be all over, because it's getting damned hard to find those in the wild these days and an awful lot of good quality home video is recorded on L-500s and such. But VHS decks? They're like Combat cartridges. You can build home foundations with them cheaper than concrete.

But yeah, for the 0.1% of VCRs out there where this may a problem, be careful to check the inputs. Otherwise just buy any $2 thrift store special and enjoy your INTV :)

OK, fair enough. In fact I'd believe that most manufactured in the past 10 are likely as not to be missing it. Mostly due to how few have been made in the past decade compared to 1985-2004 or so.

You'd be surprised how many were manufactured up until about 2 years ago. The majority of them were VCR/DVD combos.

The phasing out of tuners though was 100% brought on by OTA going digital. Manufacturers either had to include two tuners (1 analog & 1 digital) or none. If they opted to include only analog, half the box had to be a warning to that effect.

I was only pointing out that going into a store today or looking online for a NEW VCR would be very difficult. Flea market and thrift stores for used ones is another story. I probably still have half a dozen in storage that were used to run RF only systems on Commodore 1084 monitors.

I'd only be surprised if someone claimed they were made in any large quantities, compared to the previous 2 decades. I'd be shocked if it even approached 1%. Yeah there were a lot made (hell my parents own one) but it was a pretty small market compared to when EVERYONE owned a VCR. There are probably close to 3-400 million VHS decks in storage and landfills in North America right now.

I guess I'd be more surprised that anyone would even bother shopping new for one of these, if you're just looking for an RF demod. Given that you can buy used ones for pretty much nothing. And I bet you could get broken (tape-wise) decks for actually nothing, by the dozens, if you look around a little.

There aren't really flea markets in my area, and when I've hit pawn shops and thrift stores, they want like $40-50 for the VCRs. Garage sales would probably turn one up quickly though, but I don't have the patience for that.

"I got a Blonder Tongue ZDM-806 and hooked it up. You need 2 coax to female RCA connectors (same used for the console to TV) but it works just fine with a 2600 (assume other systems too). The quality of the picture didn't blow me away, but it was a definite improvement from straight RF. It's got video and audio level adjust knobs on the front that give you essentially another lever to turn when figuring out what you want your TV settings to be. The video one seemed to act like a "contrast" adjuster. It certainly gave me more flexibility when adjusting picture settings which is nice. They were all over ebay a while back and you could get one for about $35 shipped. Down side is it is kinda big."

Above is from an older thread - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189464-where-can-one-get-an-rf-demodulator/page-2?hl=%2Bdemodulator&do=findComment&comment=2911247

I actually got another smaller demodulator after getting the ZDM-806. About the same results really.

There aren't really flea markets in my area, and when I've hit pawn shops and thrift stores, they want like $40-50 for the VCRs. Garage sales would probably turn one up quickly though, but I don't have the patience for that.

Damn, that stinks. I guess I'm a bit spoiled in some ways. Canada doesn't have quite the same selection and decent prices on games/consoles that you guys enjoy, but we certainly have a ton of cheap old consumer electronics, even in smaller cities.