IGNORED

Atari ST Component Video Adapter - FINISHED!

Kjmann

Hate to be a pest but can we get a status on these? I dying to get one.

I was able to purchase a pre-production unit directly from Sal for VCF EAST. When I purchased it he mentioned that he had a couple more finished, but I'm not sure if he wants to sell any others directly or not. I kind of think he sold me the unit because I was doing the show.

You can always PM him, KJMANN, and ask I suppose.

By the way, it works great!

-Pete

I was able to purchase a pre-production unit directly from Sal for VCF EAST. When I purchased it he mentioned that he had a couple more finished, but I'm not sure if he wants to sell any others directly or not. I kind of think he sold me the unit because I was doing the show.

You can always PM him, KJMANN, and ask I suppose.

By the way, it works great!

-Pete

I won't bother him. I can wait until it is in full production. I was just wondering hadn't really seen anything new about it.

Maybe you can do some quick vids and pics if your unit?

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was more work than I had anticipated, but people seemed to appreciate the effort so it made it all worth it.

My basement now looks like a bomb has gone off as I attempt to put things back in the proper places.

Yup. I played the falcon for a few minutes. I never saw one out in the wild. Very cool set up!

Thanks for being there!

Maybe you can do some quick vids and pics if your unit?

I can do that. I'm assuming the electronics are the same, but I don't know about the case. Mine is housed in a tan project box and the connections are hand labeled. I don't know if the final product will look any different.

I'm in for 1, at the very least.

Thanks for the pics and the update.

Any idea whatsoever when KJM is actually going to put these into production?

Thanks again.

When I bought it from him last month he said that he was planning on selling exclusively through Video 61 and that they had not finalized a price. Other than that I have no idea on a time table.

I wish I had more info as I know this will help many an ST user solve a vexing problem.

-Pete

I just had a note from Sal which you all might like. He has a few units ready for sale and has given me his phone number for anyone serious about buying one.

He requested that I only give the number out to those interested via a private message. So, if you want one and are serious about purchasing just send me a PM and I'll give you Sal's phone info.

Oh, and he is limiting the sale to USA/Canada only for now.

-Pete

Edited by Fletch

Beautiful! Definitely want at least one. Would probably buy two or three if high res supported.

I thought about this a bit and though High Res isn't supported directly, I'm guessing an ST to VGA cable could be used on the same TV as the one being used with the adapter. I realize it is an extra step, but since its connected to the same TV its just a quick cable change.

Nice. How do 50hz games display on your monitor?

They don't. Screen is just blank if I try 50hz games.

I plan on buying something like this soon : http://www.220-electronics.com/sharp-lc-19le150m-19-multi-system-aquos-led-tv-110-220-240-volts.html

Being in North America, most of the programs I own are already 60hz so I do not really find it to be a big limitation anyway. But the above monitor, or one like it will be nice.

Re: 50Hz

Most American TVs will do NTSC at 50HZ. Pal has a different sync pattern, and that's not going to see much support here, but NTSC actually does work at 50 and 60Hz on the majority of displays. There actually is an NTSC 50 variant out there. Can't recall off hand what country / region it's in though. But it's there.

I know this, because I've generated both of these signals with a Color Computer 3, which has a 50 / 60Hz switch register. An NTSC model will do 50/60Hz NTSC, and a PAL one will do 50/60Hz PAL. Weird. But kind of useful... One can get the longer blanking time with just a write to a register. Spiffy! But unused, as far as I can tell.

I've also generated 50Hz NTSC test signals with a Propeller, largely to duplicate what the CoCo 3 did and for my own curiosity.

Maybe some games can be patched, or there is a hardware switch, or maybe something else that could help with this?

Component displays will run 50/60Hz on whatever standard they are made for. It's nearly as universal as the standard composite capability is. I've tested that out too. 50Hz component NTSC should display on most devices.

Anyway, for what it's worth. I'm not an ST user. At least at present. Maybe one of these days. :)

Edited by potatohead

The medium resolution display looks great! :thumbsup: Letters are nice and crisp without any loss of details that you usually see in other converters. I am definitely going to order one when they are available. Or maybe hopefully win the raffle at the Atari Party next week. :P

Re: 50Hz

Most American TVs will do NTSC at 50HZ. Pal has a different sync pattern, and that's not going to see much support here, but NTSC actually does work at 50 and 60Hz on the majority of displays. There actually is an NTSC 50 variant out there. Can't recall off hand what country / region it's in though. But it's there.

I know this, because I've generated both of these signals with a Color Computer 3, which has a 50 / 60Hz switch register. An NTSC model will do 50/60Hz NTSC, and a PAL one will do 50/60Hz PAL. Weird. But kind of useful... One can get the longer blanking time with just a write to a register. Spiffy! But unused, as far as I can tell.

I've also generated 50Hz NTSC test signals with a Propeller, largely to duplicate what the CoCo 3 did and for my own curiosity.

Maybe some games can be patched, or there is a hardware switch, or maybe something else that could help with this?

Component displays will run 50/60Hz on whatever standard they are made for. It's nearly as universal as the standard composite capability is. I've tested that out too. 50Hz component NTSC should display on most devices.

Anyway, for what it's worth. I'm not an ST user. At least at present. Maybe one of these days. :)

50hz displays on most NTSC displays but the picture is shifted about 1/3 vertically off the screen. People should realize that along with any RGB adapter for the ST, a compatible display ALSO needs to be planned for. There may be more compatible models available these days but I think people will find the displays they currently own will have trouble properly displaying 50hz. If one wants to enjoy all the games and demos in the scene, properly displaying 50hz is a necessity.

50hz displays on most NTSC displays but the picture is shifted about 1/3 vertically off the screen. People should realize that along with any RGB adapter for the ST, a compatible display ALSO needs to be planned for. There may be more compatible models available these days but I think people will find the displays they currently own will have trouble properly displaying 50hz. If one wants to enjoy all the games and demos in the scene, properly displaying 50hz is a necessity.

Which I believe the TV's on 220-electronics should help with. The TV I am looking at has "World-Wide NTSC/PAL/SECAM Color System" as a feature. Its $139 bucks so I'm not really losing too much if that does not work out.

I'll report back when I get around to making the purchase.

Until then, I have lots of NTSC related fun to enjoy.

-Pete

• 3 weeks later...