IGNORED

Will these power supplies work on 2600?

IceCold

I have 2 non Atari power supplies. I want to know if they will work on a 2600 and not hurt it.

One is a Coleco Telstar one which is 9VDC and 50MA(isn't it supposed to be 500ma for a 2600?)

The other is 9.75V DC(isn't it supposed to be 9VDC?) and 650ma(is that too high?)

I appreciate any hlep.

While I don't have a 2600, I know quiet a lot about electrical systems. That Coleco power supply will not work if those spec's you listed are right. It wont put out nearly as much current as the 2600 needs so that won't work. The second one should work fine though. The 2600 will only use as much current as it needs. It does put out a little bit more voltage but that should be fine because the power supply actually puts out more voltage than that. Inside the 2600 is a voltage regulator that will drop the voltage down to 5 Volts.

Punisher is right .. The second one will work .. if it is positive voltage at the tip and negative polarity at the base of the plug.

Rob Mitchell, Altanta, GA

It's a DVE power supply, says "For use with computer" on it. Any way to check about the positive and negative with a multimeter?

Punisher is right .. The second one will work .. if it is positive voltage at the tip and negative polarity at the base of the plug.

Rob Mitchell, Altanta, GA

It's a DVE power supply, says "For use with computer" on it. Any way to check about the positive and negative with a multimeter?

Yeah .. Put the Multimeter in DC mode. Put the red lead on the tip and the black lead on the base of the connector. If the multimeter reads positive voltage then you are set. For fun reverse the leads (put the red at the base and the black at the tip) and see if you get negative voltage.

If you get the these results then the adapter is POSITIVE tip. Use this one.

If you get the opposite of these results then the adapter is NEGATIVE tip. Don't use this one.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA